.45 outboard "stock" class?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

A few people including myself with best intentions Hi-jacked another thread that is why I am starting this discussion. To bring you up to speed I suggested someting different was needed for NAMBA which has a stock class that no longer has manufactured equipment that is availiable. IMPBA has no official class for "Sport" D (.45OB) Before making any official proposals I would like feedback from IMPBA & NAMBA members who run tunnels and would a class with the same rules work for clubs on both sides. Locally in the Southeast we are running it now and growing.

The rules are very simple. Namba "B" or IMPBA "D" motor with non tunned muffler. Any lower or powerhead. Non tunned means no tunned chamber or reflective wave pipe.

For discussion all we need to define is the name? Stock/Sport/Outlaw 40 which one works best. IMO stock and sport already denote NAMBA and IMPBA current affiliations. Outlaw or Superstock can work also or ????

I am a NAMBA and IMPBA member and would like to start the ball rolling in both organizations if there is interest and also please anyone opposed please speak up. Don't just think this is going to happen. I have no problem starting the proposal but I need to know people will vote and are in favor of a new class in both organizations. IF nothing goes beyond this thread we will still run this class locally. Hope James Clegg and Chris Wittrig will weigh in also.

Mic

What are you going to do for mufflers? If there are no stock motors available how are they going to get a can style muffler? I personally think it should just go away. Open 21 tunnel and open 45 tunnel. Just like all the other classes.

Mike

A few people including myself with best intentions Hi-jacked another thread that is why I am starting this discussion. To bring you up to speed I suggested someting different was needed for NAMBA which has a stock class that no longer has manufactured equipment that is availiable. IMPBA has no official class for "Sport" D (.45OB) Before making any official proposals I would like feedback from IMPBA & NAMBA members who run tunnels and would a class with the same rules work for clubs on both sides. Locally in the Southeast we are running it now and growing.

The rules are very simple. Namba "B" or IMPBA "D" motor with non tunned muffler. Any lower or powerhead. Non tunned means no tunned chamber or reflective wave pipe.

For discussion all we need to define is the name? Stock/Sport/Outlaw 40 which one works best. IMO stock and sport already denote NAMBA and IMPBA current affiliations. Outlaw or Superstock can work also or ????

I am a NAMBA and IMPBA member and would like to start the ball rolling in both organizations if there is interest and also please anyone opposed please speak up. Don't just think this is going to happen. I have no problem starting the proposal but I need to know people will vote and are in favor of a new class in both organizations. IF nothing goes beyond this thread we will still run this class locally. Hope James Clegg and Chris Wittrig will weigh in also.

Mic
Regarding the name of the class - Super Stock better describes the engines. Maybe it's just me, but Super Stock conveys a more positive image than Outlaw.

I've race a NAMBA legal K&B 7.5 Pro in the class at a WCs. My boat was competitive against other engine/lower unit combos. I even won the class a few years back. Finishing all the heats really helped.

Put IMPBA's rules for the class on this post and let's start the prop turning.

JD

I agree with the whole Idea... My boat, with Chris Wittrig driving, has competed in this "Superstock" class several times.The competition level is very good, my "B-OPC" boat won several of it's heats against Nelson, CMB, and Rossi engines with a "can" style muffler. The great equalizer was that we all had this muffler. Mic had his own muffler that he or he had made. Lets face it, there is a lot of .45 equipment out there with limited replacement parts. By adopting these class rules, the doors are open for a variety of engine combinations to run,and the ability to rew some K&B's with no OEM parts. Mic I am all for it,and I'll get in touch with Chris Wittrig and see what he thinks...

Jimmy Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be like this, but the golden days of nitro outboard racing are dying slowly. Since K&B equipment is finally nearly gone, the cost of any 7.5 outboard has increased beyond the reach of new boaters. Though the car market will continue to support the smaller engines, I see the future of mid size engine powered boats (formerly 7.5 and 11 cc nitro classes) in electric power. Gas has already taken over in big boats.

Brian Buaas, Darin Jordan, and myself have put together electric 7.5 tunnels and 1/8 scale former nitro boats to test possible power plants. So far the costs have been reasonable and the speeds are exceptional. Brian's XT-460 Leecraft runs at least as fast as the old mod tunnels. Darin is working with some more modern hull designs. The rules will be a challenge since containing costs is the key. Brian and Darin represent the leading edge of development, while I provide the fool in testing to see if the concepts are foolproof. So far, though, the results are very promising.

Lohring Miller

Lohring,

I agree with you about going electric, it seems to be the wave of the future. But for now, us die-hard nitro guys want a place to run our equipment. There's alot of .45 stuff out there with no place to run or not enough parts to rebuild it. By changing the class rules, we can give these engine a place to run without the major cost of re-booting... I, like you, see electric boats coming, and coming fast. Right now, I'm not ready to throw my nitro stuff in the trash...

Jimmy

To Lohrings point yes Outboards as well as Nitro in general sre on the ropes. This is just an option for a class that could resurect some existing as well as new equipment. .21's are not a cheap option anymore. I have seen some Nova's in the $600-800 range after an OB coversion. New .45's from Rossi $325 and Nelson's under $400. I see K&B's from $50-150 all the time on here that are still competative. Yes they will dry up in time but that hasn't happened yet. Also a lot of old hulls in the rafters that work with speeds lower than the Mod 45 class. I also have electrics in the works and hope they grow entries at events soon. Better entry level than a high speed delicate .21.

I respect Mike Hughes opinion and it's what we want to hear all sides. Just 21 & 45 works but .21 Stock/Sport more than holds its own at local and national events. The class has also helped develope the mod .21 class with the step-up option. If a .45 Superstock is offered it may bring in new blood.

As for mufflers a simple can still availiable from K&B plus old stock out there can easily be adapted. If you want bolt on just stay K&B. I hve adapted airplane mufflers and the OS .21 can works on a .45 with just an adapter. I hate to add any new classes but if not outboards we will still see new classes grow. FE/RTR/Gas/ ??

Mic

Lohring,

I agree with you about going electric, it seems to be the wave of the future. But for now, us die-hard nitro guys want a place to run our equipment. There's alot of .45 stuff out there with no place to run or not enough parts to rebuild it. By changing the class rules, we can give these engine a place to run without the major cost of re-booting... I, like you, see electric boats coming, and coming fast. Right now, I'm not ready to throw my nitro stuff in the trash...

Jimmy
While I might not run o/b's now but I used to and years back the .45 class was alot of fun. That being said I really have to side with Lohring, other than the .21's o/b nitro is on life support and the plug is 1/2 way out of the wall. There is a place to run for what you are talking about, it's the regular .45 o/b class IF there's enough to even run them at many of the races now. We have seen what years ago was a popular class in D12 dwindle to such low numbers that for this season D (40) o/b tunnel became open o/b tunnel, the boat count just isn't and hasn't been there. Kinda hard to justify creating something new under those circumstances plus to be honest I think we suffer from TMC already ...Too Many Classes. Sorry guys and please take no offense but I gotta give this one a thumbs down.

what would it take to get K&B to do a production run of 7.5 outboards and parts? I think that if we all get together and bombard them with emails or phone calls and show them that the market is there possibly they will take care of us. what do you think? possibly someone out there that may have had a sponsorship previously with K&B could put a good word in for the boating community. my2c Rick

I like outlaw ,it sound fun I think that helps the class, as for tunnel numbers at races going down that because race locations started letting gas boats take over,so tunnel racer go were there is the most action,why go to a place that limet you to maybe 6 boats because that's all the time they can give tunnels ,when gas can have 150 boats,soon nitro mono,s rigger ,basticly all nitro will suffer ,that's just my 2cents. The tunnel family is still plenty big and they will never let nitro tunnels die!

Shane

K&B has been out of business for a long time the compnay that owns the engines could care less about making then 7.5, i say to many classes and stock to me means completely stock, my wife right now runs a completely stock 7.5 and beats the mods why change

Myself and another boater are working on a solution to help resurect some of the K&B outboards. The K&B .45 outboard had three major flaws,the crankcase,the crankshaft and the connecting rod. We plan to produce a replacement crankcase first to bring some of the "block poor" boaters back to the lake. Then will come a better crankshaft and con rod. Finally will come a complete powerhead,based on the K&B design. We hope to have all designs finished before the end of the summer.As prototype pieces are finished,I will post pictures.

I think we suffer from TMC already ...Too Many Classes.
Amen to that brother. That is another thread for another day. We will leave it at that.

Mecoa bought K&B to sell off the old stock. They are not interested in making motors. There is no money in it. There was none when the economy was OK and there definetly isnt any now.

Mike

Mic
Lots of good perspectives in this tread and I absolutely agree that neither NAMBA nor IMPBA based on my own participation in both need any additional classes.

I didn't start running boats until 1999 and had the benefit of running outboards in NAMBA 19 which had no problem putting together stout entry counts for each and every stock and mod tunnel classes from .21 through .67 including outboard mono and outboard hydro. District 9 was in pretty good shape and I honestly had no perspective of what the other districts had for entry counts. It was an awesome time because Outbound and Inboard ran different weekends and each had no problem filling the day both Saturday and Sunday. When K&B hit the skids I was the first one in the district with the Irwin CMB EVO because we wanted to learn what it was going to take to continue beyond the risk that K&B would never get back to the point where parts were readily available. The NAMBA OPC classes were my favorite because the competition level was much, much better than the mod classes...it was more a drivers race than who could find the right combo without falling off the pipe.

As many expected, people started to hedge how to stay in the hobby without necessarily keeping with what they preferred to run. Several people started to go toward inboard and the gas classes eventually started to show up and the performance of those engines got better and better. Now electric is in play in almost every hull classification available. The result is significant reductions in participation for outboard and the eventual combination of inboard and outboard in the west coast districts. Some outboard loyalists who may not have been able to buy themselves into other classes had a few classes they could run and some of those eventually became discouraged having to wait so long between heats and it costs so much to travel to races that it simply did not make sense anymore.

Everybody knows...times have changed and the composition of the hobby is much different now than it was 10 years ago. That's natural. My friend Don "Green Lantern" Ferrette is absolutely right about the dwindling numbers causing the creation of "open" classes beyond the .21 class. Sadly, that's not just outboard. Mono and Hydro in IMPBA 12 are in the same boat (pun intended).

Speaking from a personal perspective I absolutely agree with Mick. Contrary to what others may be thinking, I actually think OPC should be replaced with Super Stock as opposed to creating new classes. This is just a reconstitution of the same intent of OPC to meet the current reality of the materials available on the market. Basically, muffler classes and pipe classes - .21, .45 and maybe even change NAMBA X to be .46+. Bring your 101 with a muffler. Why not? Any flywheel, any carb, any lower unit. Folks, that's not to say it would somehow resurrect the outboard classes, but what it creates is options that may allow people to mix and match some stuff they had and/or can get their hands on to participate in a class that from what I've seen at the WTC tends to have closer competition and less finicky setups especially for newcomers or those who don't want to drop a ton of money just to barely stay on the lead lap.

Nothing says any or every district in NAMBA or IMPBA would or ever will have enough boats to justify putting any one of these classes on the entry form. The option, though, gets created without unnecessarily adding more class definitions. Hey, nobody has proposed that OPC or Sport classes get removed from the rules, so why not a change?

In several ways we seem to be doing this to ourselves. How we choose to create classes or combines classes runs the risk of forcing other classes to become obsolete weakening any possible chance of a resurgence. Be honest, how many people think for one minute that if somebody suddenly bought the K&B marine production assets or a manufacturer decided to create a .45 and/or .67 outboard complete in the box ready to bold on the boat and each inboard, outboard, and gas class on their entry form consistently had 7 boats per class that somebody would be willing to throw away a class allowing an OPC outboard class that could bring 10 boats to come back?

Nothing lost if the rules are changed and specialty events such as the WTC, as well as our friends in NAMBA D3 who have a lot of outboard, will only benefit.

Mic,

You have my full support in this endeavor. Super Stock .45 or Outlaw Stock .45...call it what you want, in my book call it fantastic racing. The can muffler is the limiting factor and sets the field level. So run whatever you have. Throw a can muffler on it and let boat set-up and driving skill get you to the front.... Not big dollar engines. Isn't that what stock racing is all about? As far as just letting this class "go away", that's not the answer tunnel heads want to hear. Lets just modify the class to suit the present situation. If nothing else Mic, we (D3) will continue to have a blast running Super Stock .45 Pro Can Outlaw!!! lol :D

Mike

TMC, I agree in principal but there are going to be new classes that reflect majority and minority views. If you really want to reduce classes just institute a 5 boat minimum and the weak classes will be gone. Much like "term limits" it is a sensible solution that will never happen as everyone has a pet agenda. As long as it doesn't affect "my class" it's Ok.

What I do see is some classes live on passion for certain types of boats. Scale hydro is one of those classes. Not run everywhere or fits all clubs but anchored in model boating. OB faithful seem to carry that passion also. Of the 3 Internats I attended in the last 5 years Outboards were some of the largest classes. Yes some areas are void of outboards but they don't seem to die.

Back to the premise here. Chris thanks for the reply. Within the common sense of TMC you made a good point. Modifying the existing OPC class in NAMBA won't kill anything or change the level of competition. What it might do is open up something that is dying due to one manufacturer who just is not making this product. Those in gas who are tying there can to Zenoah take heed they can pull out at any time and the new engines won't be there as you shut them out. "Stock" relying on K&B is proof when the ship sinks it all goes down. Superstock has credibility as a working class in the toughest outboard races east of the Mississippi. If the west coast tunnels can embrace a minor change then maybe IMPBA can foster a mirror class that has roots already. What is there to loose here? I know the guys in the Southeast are on board would like to hear more from West coast guys actively running outboards.

I had planned to go to the NAMBA nationals in Louisiana but it didn't seem to attract the tunnels I had hoped for. One class I would have liked to run was B-OPC. Having a legal K&B powerhead I could not find a factory lower. My cut out lowers would not qualify. No racing advantage just not what came in the box. Distict 3 is a large NAMBA presence and never considers B-OPC in their format. We had 10 show up last fall in Brandon for an OB race. More than the average mod-B race in the district. Maybe one would have qualified under existing OPC rules. If I owned that one boat I'd rather race against 9 other boats that have it collect dust and eventually be sold on E-bay for pennies.

Mic

Green Lantern here........... :D

While anyone who knows me well knows I'm all about boating and want to see everyone have fun, the one thing that I have to question about this is creating a new class for stuff that's not being made anymore. MECOA bought K&B to get the tooling NOT to make K&B motors so sadly that is a dead end. So with that being said where are motors and parts going to come from to keep this "new" class afloat? I think if anything the idea Chris put out of changing a class to fit this rather creating a new one would be a better option especially since, let's face it, this is going to be a "limited time offer" since there's no new stuff (motors) being created for the class. Not trying to be a stick in the mud my friends, just looking at this realisticly. :blink:

Back