.45 outboard "stock" class?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points James. We are fortunate to have a strong turnout of outboards here in the S.E. The economy put a dent in the numbers this year but still a good show at most of the races. I agree with staying focused on it regionally and I'll tell you why. As cool as Mod-VP is, it is just that....regional. But just to show how a cool idea can catch on, I can tell you that Mod-VP is about to emerge in another region based on where I have been sending boats and conversations I have had with those in that area. Is it ready for the rule book? Probably not. But the same thing will most likely happen with this .45 class, others will see how well it works and it will catch on in other places. If it gets real strong in several regions then push it.

I will say this though, If everyone keeps agreeing that there are enough classes then why have a considerable number of classes been added in the last several years? It is now IMPOSSIBLE to fill and run all classes Gas and Nitro in a weekend race. And....don't forget electric!

Regional activity can be helped by a couple individuals calling people with equipment and rallying the troops for certain races. Class captains so to speak. Not being an official rulebook class it can still be put on any schedule. Most clubs just want a commitment for 3-4 boats to show up.

One point John Otto made was the K&B redhead can be fitted with an availiable P&S from I believe a .48 aircraft motor. Makes a .45 into a .46 which in an superstock format makes sense to increase cu. in. limit to .49 or .50 allowing people to retrofit motors that cannot be made presently legal due to piston and liner just not being made. I do not see any reason to not allow these in the STORM series.

Mic

How many have raced this class.. raise your hands!.. that was fun wasn’t it!

It is a real breath of fresh air to tunnel boat racing. and at the same time. a great asset to the B sport or A OPC class's.

I say to heck with OPEN classes.. because its always big boat or big disappointment.. winning an open class is like licking the last bit of goo of the top of a popsicle stick.. it tastes OK but so much is gone and missing.

Racing a well defined tuners class is the entire popsicle! That tasty treat IS SPORT/OPC..

For now I would gladly drop any "mod" class over a sport/opc class. We already have the numbers in Sport 21 to say.. hum... that is fun and a good direction. But.. if we have room and I think we just might.. allowing a sport 7.5 class just MIGHT.. get the mfgs attention… wouldn’t that be nice..

Grimracer

there's some stock boats that can beat a mod boat any day i thing we should just combine stock and mod together and keep it at that.

julian

The funny thing is, a lot of the guys that already have 7.5 tunnels and lower unit, can throw a $100 FE motor and a good speed controller and batteries, and be just as fast, if not way faster than the stock K&B's My 7.5 tunnel has a $70 motor, $210 controller, and $150 battery and will run low-mid 60's in a heat trim, or do 72mph in a SAW form. Kind of hard to justify nitro at that price honestly. I gave up on the k&b stuff a while back, and never looked back. It got old just trying to get it tuned to run!

Heat trim:

I hate hearing that this size tunnel is on the verge of being cut. I like the 21 size tunnels, but man, seeing the bigger ones run is so cool!

Mike

Your right Julian my wife goes out every time in Brandon and other races come up in top three with a strictly stock boat

Mike..

Im not sure it realy has that much to do with speed.. its dealing with what IC power is avalible..

Its also not about money.. "I think"

Its a fun class for sure~!

Grim

Grim,

Your absolutely right. I was just putting the little Plus symbol on the end of "Good Time+"

lol,

Mike

there's some stock boats that can beat a mod boat any day i thing we should just combine stock and mod together and keep it at that.

julian
julian just because you don't have a outlaw 45 and have never raced in this class doesn't mean you should combine the class, my open boat has a mac 84 on it when it's on it hard to beat buy anything, so why would you want to combine a class that grate competition , guess thats because you don,t have one, if you had one, you allready can race it in open if you wanted ,don't think it would be compeditive but thats your choice

thats my 2cents

shane

Your right Julian my wife goes out every time in Brandon and other races come up in top three with a strictly stock boat
Reality Check.

When your stock boat has finished in the top three but never beat another running boat in a heat, taking a few 2nd places when all the other boats died is not exactly kicking butt. Some of the faster boats have been consentrating on other races and district competition and numbers are down. Come to a STORM race and enter MOD and see where you size up. Your trying to kill the very class your boat has a better chance in plus you can also step up to mod and haver two classes to run.

As for "open" traditionally it is a re-run of 40 and more often than not a 40 boat wins. A good running .84 like Shanes is the cream of the class but has trouble finishing. This class is a good place for an FE to show its stuff in traffic. More the merrier. I see a lot of fast FE straightaway records but the 2 lap oval P & Q records are over 30 seconds. Not going to run down a 28 second "D" boat that regularily run in STORM races

Julian get a grip. Your mod may get wiped by stockers but that is not going to happen often in good competetive tunnel races. Yes there are some "outlaws" that run very fast but would be at a disadvantage. Everyone sees something happen at a local boat race and then figures thats the way it is everywhere. Charleston and the STORM series are the toughest tunnel races in the country, period. The guys that run regularily know what I am talking about.

Having another nitro tunnel option is up to the people who run 40's. Not going to save boating but may be cheaper to maintain existing equipment. FE is comming but not that cheap yet. You need a Lipo charging system and batteries, you get what you pay for there. $300-500 upfront before you get a motor and speed control.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
In most places other than SC have problems making the tunnel classes because they are divided between modified tunnels and stock tunnels.i don't see you coming to Bermuda coming to a club race to support or a district so really you have NO SAYING because you only race once a year in the US and that's only at the tunnel champs.

so before you post maybe you should find out what boats i have before you start typing buddy

This Thread is not about what i run in the 1st place. MIC your just exactly like Shane if you read the whole thread you would know what it is about,.

Julian

Mic you might want to check what you are talking about since she has beating them while they finish heats it is also about being consistant. i dont have that kind of money to drive that far for a one day race i am way down south here in florida the storm races are up north, unless someone wants to pay for my travels i doubt it, the district has alot of B outboards and fast ones, i dont see changing things just updating them

1) you don't event know me Shane

2) i have All Types of tunnels

3) Know your information before you go and open your mouth obviously you don't know what boats i have and what i run. i can run

B Tunnel,D Tunnel,E Tunnel,F Tunnel,Outlaw Tunnel if i choose but i prefer to run my twin because i have more fun.

In most places other than SC have problems making the tunnel classes because they are divided between modified tunnels and stock tunnels.i don't see you coming to Bermuda coming to a club race to support or a district so really you have NO SAYING because you only race once a year in the US and that's only at the tunnel champs.

so before you post maybe you should find out what boats i have before you start typing buddy

This Thread is not about what i run in the 1st place. MIC your just exactly like Shane if you read the whole thread you would know what it is about,.

Julian
julian if you have a outlaw 45 why don't you race it ? i go to the world tunnel champ race because has the most compitition,i race in the outlaw class since it started some the best races have bin in this class ,so i do have a say,2nd place(grim came 1st) and 2 world champs back to back and 2nd

if you run twin know why do you care?

i go to one or two races a year that because it cost me a minum $2000 a race that just to get there that not parts, nitro spending money so that why when i pic a race it allways for compitition not a easy win, so before you get your feather in a bunch ,i'am just saying if don't race in this class you shouldn't have a say in what happens with it and it shouldn't matter to you because you prefer to run twins

thanks shane

Back