Why JD Mostly Runs Tunnels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the help lay up the rest of the glass. Filled in the big cracks also. Put the heat on it and I hope to get the rest of it sealed later tonight. Tomorrow primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike

Maybe after you take us through rebuilding the boat you could do some pictures showing a dual radio set up. Them next time maybe you can save your self alot of work!!! I love to tell you I told you so, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so.

The boat looks like it is comming along nicely. How bad were the sponsons?

Mr. Bontoft hit me up today to bring my 90 boat this weekend. Sounds like he has been storing his in the sameplace that I have been storing mine. It had an inch of dust on it.

Mark

Mark Anderson said:
MikeMaybe after you take us through rebuilding the boat you could do some pictures showing a dual radio set up.......
Yup. I build all my twins with dual receivers, battery packs & switches. B)

Then I would just have two non repsonding receivers. I tell you I take those receivers apart and can barely tell if there is water in them. Spray them down with alcohol and let them dry, problem gone. I just need to put the paper towels in there. I just wasn't thinking. I on the other hand might be going that route. The boat is set up for the twin receivers. I also believe that the way that the boat uses a bottle cap for a switch cover might be a problem also. The way the water line goes through the box needs addressing also. It has two brass nipples that go through each radio box bulkhead. In between the two bulkheads there is fuel line. The nipples are not that long and I can see one end coming off and the boat filling the radio box to the top. I found a problem with one of the stuffing box tubes. It seem that it don't want to come out of the boat. I ended up pulling and twisting hard enough to rip out the stuffing box also. Oh well this boat is going to get the major overhaul any way. What is one more to the list. Sponson are almost perfect. The boat ended up going into the beach at about a 30 degree angle. Left sponson hit first. It has a dent in the front area side. Right had some nose block damage. They need new sponson tubes. That is it. I am going to end up redoing all the sponson tubes.

Hey I am going to put this project on hold for a while as I have neglected all the other boats and I have a race this week end. I will pick it back up after the race. Thanks for tuning in. ;)

Mike

Awesome job Mike.

Balloon the receiver!!! I put a balloon over the receiver, then two cable ties. Wrap that balloon with a paper towel, then another balloon over that with two more cable ties. I have yet to get water in the receiver with this setup.

Brian

Real nice rebuild mike, Looks real good.

Probably will be better than before.

I found ballooning the RX you get moisture, I spray mine with Corrision X and then i cut a IV bag in half, Use a cut up tampons rubber banded around it, and then seal it with the iv bag and then nylon tie the end around the wires. No water yet.

and I have had water in the box before.

and Tampons in the radio box, if they swell you got water and they normally get the moisture out before the rx gets wet.

Tom

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Just one question, do you buy your own tampons? It was either the X had to go or the boats, I am still racing. So now you tell me I need tampons, is there any place to mail order them and they will come in a plain brown wrapper? Does tower carry them?

Kelly

LOL What you cant go in and buy tampons?

I wish i knew i could mail order them.

Try going in and getting tampons and condoms for your "boating" Needs.

talk about strange looks for the cashier.

Tom

Try to explain that to your wife why you have that stuff in your tool box!

"Yeah, you're going boating huh?"

"Really Dear, they're for my boat!"

That's why I use the baby bottle liners for my recievers but my son is 17 now.

Tom , you can get the condoms in a Gas station restroom but the tampons pose a problem unless you can get Mary to score them for you.

Alright, enough of the girlly talk. It has been a while since I did anything on the boat. Been waiting on carbon tubes. That arrived yesterday. So the boat got it sponsons back on. I had to end up adding one washer under the left front tube at the bolt because it was out of level. The holes for the sponson tubes were a little large in the sponsons from the crash so the sponson were not at the right angles. I glue up the sponson and then block them up so that they were at the correct angles.

Mike

Today I remounted the engine rails to make sure everything lined up. The left engine rails were out. I ended up just building a new one for the left side to compensate for 1/8" difference. I guess I did not get the holes extactly were they need to be. Oh well problem solved. Next comes a new stuffing box for the one I ripped out.

Mike

PS Check out the little screw driver I made to get the bolt screwed in. What a pain in the butt. You cant even use a stubby slotted screw driver. Too long.

As if I don't have enough to do. Here is what happen at the race over memorial day weekend. Funny thing is the sponson came off going down the back shoot. I have run this boat for a year and then finally paint it. Bang, something ruins the paint job. It seems to always happen.

Mike

Started on the stuffing boxes. I did up a new one for the one that I yank out. That one slid in easy. The old one seems to hang up the last 2-3" before the stuffing tube exited into the engine well. I fiddle and farted around a while trying to get it to slide in smooth. After a half an hour I grab it with the pliers and rip it out also. Should of done that to begin with.

Mike

I end up ripping out the old water line also. It was fuel tube that attach to nipples at either end of the radio box. I could see one coming lose during a run. Instant water box. I used a 3/16 stainless tube that I bent around the servos. I also glassed in the stuffing boxes. This completes all the constrution on the boat. I need to tear it down and get it ready for paint.

Mike

Mike,

thanks for the progress pic's! I enjoyed watching it transform!

Tim.

Shot first coat of primer. Nothing like the first coat to show you all the spots you missed. I will probably fill and sand on them. Or maybe not. You can't see those as it goes by at 80. ;) Oh yeah, I forgot to say I hate this part. Painting sucks.

Mike

It looks like you have more fun painting on the garage door!!!!! :D

Just playing... it is awesome work reclaiming you boat from the splinters that it was.

Back