Why JD Mostly Runs Tunnels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mike,

Sorry for the damage. Maybe JD can help you out with his Foam technique :lol:

Any chance you were using digital servos?

Snowdog

Gene

I think after all that work, Mike will needs one of those special energy drinks concocshions you mix up, you know the bloody mary on steroids. ITS THE DRINK THAT THINKS ITS A MEAL! , patent pending :) Also make a really good paint stripper (OSHA approved). See you at Springfield Gene :D

Mike

Don

To tell the truth, I was coming down the front stretch when I lost it. It made a big sweeping arc and was headed straight back around towards the hot pits. It end up hitting 100' from where we were. All I was concerned was that everyone get the hell out of the way. I looked around and saw a few spectators. That is all we need to do was plug one of them. I was yelling to let them know that I did not have control. Luckily everything turn out all right. It was probably going around 80.

Mike

Got to go. There is a boat wanting a new front end.

Michael

I am going to run open hydro. Not sure with what. Twin, 90 hyd, and 60 hyd all need testing. Probably the 90 will get the nod as it is ready to go.

Mike

Update

I made some splice plates to go between the old hull side and the new. Plus a splice plate to the bottom. If you notice I use a #2 screw to suck the plate and side together. This way I am sure of getting of good bond. When done just remove screws and fill.

I ended up building a new center rail for the mounts. The bulkheads are being reused from the old front end. Well to time to go to the ball park. What excellent timing.

Later

Mike

Mike

Get up early. I promise to have the chase boat out by 9:00 so you (and everyone else) can test all day.

Lohring Miller

:rolleyes: Bart, I too was useing ballons to keep water out of the reciever, but found thats where the moisture collects and can't get out. mike bontoft gave me a bottle of preperation "H" or I mean corrosion "x" ( hope I don't get them confused when I use them) ... but I squrit them with that stuff and large wide rubber band the crystal and plug ins from falling out and let it rest on a bed of foam in the bottom of the box. now I find myself opening up the water box or radio box and resquriting everything with corosion X and forgetting it. another tip I use on my scale boat. because its alot of work to get the box lid off without taking the box out ,, I drilled six holes in the lid and set a $5.00 radio shack 12v computer fan on top after a race and tape up the holes after about a day of blowint air through it to make sure it is dry. works for me. gene gager :)

Normaly I used a bunch of paper towels to absorb any water before it reaches the receiver. Not yesterday for some strange reason. It was a pretty ugly day. Today it is awesome out. Greaty day for baseball. Mariners and the Rainers(AAA) won today. It was nice to get away for awhile. Alright back to business. Sanded up the other bulkheads and glue them into the frame. Also glued in the front sponson tube block. Sealed up the inside of the nose block area also. Sheeting in the next issue.

Mike

Lohring has some neat little balloons that they slip over the handles of the dentists light (hope he,s not going to get in trouble) He gave me about 50 of them, they work great on the reciever, I also always put a tampon in the radio box, Think about it some company spent millions to come up with a product that is super absorbant and fits into tight places ( sounds like they could of been made specially for radio boxes to me (there, I got thru that without any obscene remarks) things will drink a ton of water, I also prefer to run a tube for the antenna so if I have some leaks I can pull out the wire, tape the top on and blow down it to find any leaks.

Mike

I also prefer to run a tube for the antenna so if I have some leaks I can pull out the wire, tape the top on and blow down it to find any leaks.
Also known as the presure test.

Mike

Mike (B & H)

Those "light handle condoms" are also known as the B&M Manufacturing heavy duity equipment protectors. As Mike H learned, you don't want to be caught deep in the bush without one.

Lohring Miller

Last night I laid on the bottom. Even though it was only 1/16 I had to use quite a bit of weight to get it to lay down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each one of those sandwich bags has 5 pounds of lead shot. They work great because they will conform to any shape. I had 10 of those plus the 3 bricks. 60 + pounds but it did the job.

Pull the weight this morning and trimmed the sides in the bandsaw. I cleaned them up with a block plane and hit them with the sander. I also added some foam blocks up in the nose just incase the nose cavity is compromized for added floatation.

The thickness of the sides where not exact. The original side were a bit bigger than the new. I made sure that the inside were flush so that the splice would have good contact for strength. I did not feel like filling in this spot, so got out the old beltsander and feather her in. Next is the top deck.

Great stuff Mike, looks like its gonna be almost like new!. Keep the pics coming.....

~James

Well this morning I laid down the top and let it set while I was at work. Came home and trimmed it up. The old paint had to go. Sanded the back end down. So now I am working in a dust bowl of a garage. I decided to lay in some cloth on one of the engine wells. What a pain with the stuffing tube in the way so I only got one done. Time for bed.

Later

Mike

Back