The JD Sport 20 V 2.0

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time put the carbon rod right in front of your radio box. That would keep out if the way, AND... add a lot of strengh to the front of the sponsons. Looks good Jerry...

I'm jealous of your skills!! Not even a month building and you are almost ready to hit the water!! Very nice build Jerry, going to be a rocket ship!

At yesterday's New Year's Fun Run, Mike Hughes delivered the cowling. After some fitting and trimming, the cowling is done except for painting and gluing some foam to the under side for floatation. The Nova Rossi 21 Quiet Pipes fits nicely under the cowling.

There's still sanding, filling, applying West Systems to the exterior of the hull, and applying a coating of primer before testing.

Happy New Year,

JD

Jeryy,.. we need to get you up to speed in 3d solid modeling.. I'm sure some real awesome stuff would come out of that brain.. I like the simple but function build.. After all,.. it's really just having the correct running surface geometry and the CG correct,.. it's alot easier to look over in cad a few times before you make parts..

Jeryy,.. we need to get you up to speed in 3d solid modeling.. I'm sure some real awesome stuff would come out of that brain.. I like the simple but function build.. After all,.. it's really just having the correct running surface geometry and the CG correct,.. it's alot easier to look over in cad a few times before you make parts..
I took a class in boat lofting at Lincoln High School, Tacoma, WA, in 1959. Guess that's really old technology. The biggest problem I have in making parts is finding them once I'm ready to glue something.
default_wacko.png

JD

Hey JD,

What we need is some day glow orange tape to put on the parts we cut so we can find those suckers - Har, Har !!!

I cut a piece of aluminum about a week ago, drilled holes, shaped it, and it was ready to install, so went inside for a cup of coffee. Couldn't find that sucker when I came back to the garage. I found it yesterday in a jar that has Lacquer thinner in it. The piece had some adhesive on the back side, so I dropped it into the thinner to dissolve the sticky stuff - and forgot where it went. Positive note: The tops of three work benches got cleaned up a week ago.

"Old age and Treachery will overcome youth and skill." We would hurt ourselves, or someone else trying to use CAD.

And those pesky pieces of computer all over the place would simply add to the clutter in the missing parts caper.

Happy New Year, JD. I'm ready for some sub zero testing pics - show Glenn's reaction - Har, Har !!!. 34 here in Houston this AM CHEERS !!! Bob

Started the engine today in the garage today since the weather was too damp to try to get to the lake. Started easily. Only ran it about 4 - 5 minutes. Shut it down a few times and it restarted nicely. If there's a break in the rain, the boat is ready to test.

Jerry

We had a break in the weather this morning and I managed to get in some time on the water. I am very pleased with how the engine performed in basically a break in needle setting. The boat also runs as well as last year's boat and the DD definitely delivers more power.

I did have the opportunity to try 3 props. A Sholund X640 V cut worked the best of the 3 I tried. More props and strut testing will happen next time I have an opportunity.

Jerry

Lookin good Jerry,

What colors this time?

Maybe yellow/white with Futaba in black........

Gene

The boat is now coated in flat gray primer and looks like a stealth bomber. Right now I'm leaning towards all white trimmed in red. Pretty basic, but it's a race boat not a mantel decoration.

Jerry,

Do you have any X-442's, 1640's, or X-642's?.

The new motor will need more load.

Let Me Know?

Mark Sholund

Jerry,

Do you have any X-442's, 1640's, or X-642's?.

The new motor will need more load.

Let Me Know?

Mark Sholund
Hi Mark,

I managed to get in a few runs today between the wind and rain. I tried the X-442 V-cut you did for me. It worked very well. The water was a bit choppy so I really didn't have the opportunity to stay on the throttle for an extended period. During one high speed run into the wind the boat bounced off a wave, caught some air and rotated skyward. I chopped the throttle when it began lifting and then got back the throttle when I realized that it was going to land right side up. I t completed a great looking loop and kept running.

Jerry

Glenn Quarles and I spent almost 3 hours testing the new boat. The boat hit 53 mph on Glenn's radar gun. A Props4U X442 V cut worked the best. Although the boat is fast, I am not happy with how it is bouncing in the turns. I tried using anti-hederal on the left sponson and I'm going to remove that and go with flat sponson riding surfaces. I'm also go to play with angling the turnfin towards the boat rather than straight up.

The attached photos aren't all that great. The day was overcast when they were taken and the primer gray doesn't show up all that well.

Glenn's wife, Donna, also shot some photos. She has a sequence of the boat doing a loop. Donna will forward her photos once she has the opportunity to down load them.

JD

The boat is running nice and dry on the transom. I need to get mine running like that. I'm also running the 442 from Mark,.. going to try some lifting props next,..

I was just a bit faster with the NR 5p,.. but mine is pretty maxed out I think.. You probably have a lot more to go.. Im going to try a 1445 reduced to 42.5 next chance I get to run,..

Just returned from testing the two changes I made since running on Monday - remove the anti-hederal from the left sponson and angle the turn fin in slightly.

Pleased with the results. One more test session in primer and then clean it up and apply paint.

JD

Latest posts

Back