Visit RC boating venue.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmidt

Hi!
I have been an avid RC boating fan all my life and have been a racer for 31 years. Living in Norway and planning a travel to the US this spring I am posting this as an enquiry on RC boating avtivities. I am entering through Dulles/Washington DC on April 26th, staying at a friends house in Virginia Beach to return from Dulles on the 10th of May. I am renting a car and will be prepared to drive a distance to be at a venue. Anything and all, from club gettogether to sanctioned racing is of interest. Please respond to tell me «what’s up» late April and early May.

Some race information is available in the IMPBA Roostertail towards the end: https://impba.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2021-03_DEC_RT_WEB.pdf
Huntsville Alabama has a 4 day time trial event April 18-21st.
The Atlanta club hosts a big race April 22nd through the 24th. This is likely your best and closest race to attend. event info here: https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/save-the-date-atlanta-spring-nationals-april-23rd-24th-2022.82152/
The IMPBA Gas nationals are in Reserve, Louisiana May 12th-14th https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/2022-gas-nats.82299/

Some race information is available in the IMPBA Roostertail towards the end: https://impba.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2021-03_DEC_RT_WEB.pdf
Huntsville Alabama has a 4 day time trial event April 18-21st.
The Atlanta club hosts a big race April 22nd through the 24th. This is likely your best and closest race to attend. event info here: https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/save-the-date-atlanta-spring-nationals-april-23rd-24th-2022.82152/
The IMPBA Gas nationals are in Reserve, Louisiana May 12th-14th https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/2022-gas-nats.82299/
Thanks❗️I will look up the IMPBA Roostertail. The events you are pointing at, though, is outside my timeframe, either before or after my in- or outbound flights.

The US is a really big country with lots to see. My favorite in Washington, DC is the Air and Space Museum. It's easy to spend days there. The best way to see Washington will be a tour. That way you can hit the highlights in a relatively short time. Huntsville is one of the premiere RC boating sites. It's too bad you can't visit.

Lohring Miller

The US is a really big country with lots to see. My favorite in Washington, DC is the Air and Space Museum. It's easy to spend days there. The best way to see Washington will be a tour. That way you can hit the highlights in a relatively short time. Huntsville is one of the premiere RC boating sites. It's too bad you can't visit.

Lohring Miller

Thanks Lohring - Yes, you are right - but the timeframe is closed and flighs booked and paid for - I seem to have found a Facebook page of a local club in Virginia - I will get in touch with those guys and take it from there. Then again - I have a very good hydro builder in Texas - Wendell Barrow - who made my two gas hydros. I will get in touch with him too.
Jan Smidt

I live near Virginia beach. Not much here.. THere is a club from what I understand that gets together once a month or twice a month I think to do testing.
Dick Tyndal, and Don F live in the area. ( dick is i think in hampton or norfolk ) which is close. Don is an hr or so away. Kentley porter used to do SAW in the area but I don't know if he does anything any more. I would like to get together with folks sometime if possible. Charleston Sc home of the TUNNEL CHAMPS is about 6-7 hrs away you could also try to get in touch with that club. And there was a group in Charlotte NC I thought that ran at one time also.

Let me check our events calendar we may have records trial or practice session going on during your time here in the United States.

Last edited:
We have a practice session scheduled for May 7th which your more than welcomed to come visit for. The Space and Rocket Museum is very close to our lake site. Paul Winstra and a group of model boaters from the Netherlands have
visited with us here in Huntsville and enjoyed seeing the museum and visiting with the model boaters here in our area.

Attachments

• hydro at about 100 mph.jpg
    hydro at about 100 mph.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 12
Only event going on during your stay is in Miami, FL. Unfortunately just outside your dates are national events.

I live near Virginia beach. Not much here.. THere is a club from what I understand that gets together once a month or twice a month I think to do testing.
Dick Tyndal, and Don F live in the area. ( dick is i think in hampton or norfolk ) which is close. Don is an hr or so away. Kentley porter used to do SAW in the area but I don't know if he does anything any more. I would like to get together with folks sometime if possible. Charleston Sc home of the TUNNEL CHAMPS is about 6-7 hrs away you could also try to get in touch with that club. And there was a group in Charlotte NC I thought that ran at one time also.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the end of the Roostertail newsletter I found the Old Dominion Model Boat Association - and got in touch through Facebook. They do their boating approx 1 hr drive from Virginia Beach

Old dominion is a very active group and will welcome you with open arms...they are usually there almost every weekend...Kentley porter and Scott littycoat are usually there unless other matters arise..some really awesome guys at ODMBA...it's a 3 hour drive for me...I'm just outside Wash D.C. and worth every minute of the drive.

Old dominion is a very active group and will welcome you with open arms...they are usually there almost every weekend...Kentley porter and Scott littycoat are usually there unless other matters arise..some really awesome guys at ODMBA...it's a 3 hour drive for me...I'm just outside Wash D.C. and worth every minute of the drive.

Yes - I have been greeted in the most welcoming way.👍😉

Back