James "Topfuel443" Clegg is Germany bound!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
Yep, its not a rumor, Im moving to Germany.

For those of you that dont know yet, here is my official Iwaters announcement.

My wife (of four weeks) is a Civil engineer for the Navy right now in Charleston SC, we have always talked about the possibility of traveling overseas if she had the oportunity to work for the military, we were seriously persuing Italy as our destination. Lots of things happened, and Italy kind of fell through much to our dismay. She saw an opening on the federal job website for the Army Corp of Engineers position at the Ramstein Army/Airforce Base in Kaiserslautern Germany.

A couple days later she learned that her resume' was strong enough to land an interview, which then turned into a job offer. It can be somewhat hard to get selected to go overseas for the Governement as a civilain, so we made the descision to accept the position. Its something weve wanted to be able to do while we were still young (both age 26) and do not have children. I am told I will not be able to work while im over there except on the base and jobs are scarce due to the amount of enlisted spouses there, but the University of Maryland has a college program on the base for the spouses of government employees (me) and I will probably go for my Bachelors in Business. I have always wanted to own a hobby shop, and this will provide the perfect opportunity when we return so i figured I should know how a small business is supposed to work... :)

We are going to be over there for 3 years, with the option of staying for an additional 2 years after the first term is up.

Needless to say we have LOTS of stuff to do in the next 7 weeks to prepare to move our lives as we know it to Germany, so Its been kinda busy. We are scheduled to leave on Oct 2nd.

We have been very lucky thus far, weve managed to sell our House for what we wanted to get out of it without it ever going on the market, simple word of mouth and we sold it. we close on it next week. The new owner is going to rent it back to us for a very genrous amount until we are ready to leave for Germany. We have sold two of our three vehicles, as we can only ship one over there, there was no need to keep the other two Stateside.

We had a huge wedding planned for the end of October, but we had to get married quickly (justice of the peace, on the beach, one Sunday morning) due to the amount of paperwork and other crap that was needed to for me to be able to go with her. We were officially married on July 6th, but we have decided to still have a religous ceremony to keep the parents happy, and the fact that they already had a large amount of nonrefundable money tied up with various wedding related things. It is now scheduled for the 20th of this month.

Anyways, My life has been utter chaos for the past 5 weeks, and its not getting much better anytime soon. I am VERY glad I got to go to the Internats this year and see all of my long distance friends one last time before we depart. My next and last stateside race will be at our C.M.B. O.B. Tunnel Championships. its the last weekend before we leave.

:D :D :D :D :D

Now for any Germans or Americans stationed in Germany, what is the Boating scene like over there??? what is the sanctioning body over there? is it Naviga? are there any clubs in the area that I will be in (Kaiserslautern) ? Can I use my 75mhz radios over there?? if not, what do I use? 40 mhz?

what classes are most popular? any tunnels run in Germany? Is there any English websites that I can view to get info on European racing? tons of questions....

~James

P.S. I read somewhere that Kaiserslautern has more Bars per capita than any other place in Germany :blink: :blink: and they sell beer by the Liter! My kind of country!

Last edited by a moderator:
topfuel443 said:
Yep, its not a rumor, Im moving to Germany.
For those of you that dont know yet, here is my official Iwaters announcement.

My wife (of four weeks) is a Civil engineer for the Navy right now in Charleston SC, we have always talked about the possibility of traveling overseas if she had the oportunity to work for the military, we were seriously persuing Italy as our destination. Lots of things happened, and Italy kind of fell through much to our dismay. She saw an opening on the federal job website for the Army Corp of Engineers position at the Ramstein Army/Airforce Base in Kaiserslautern Germany.

A couple days later she learned that her resume' was strong enough to land an interview, which then turned into a job offer. It can be somewhat hard to get selected to go overseas for the Governement as a civilain, so we made the descision to accept the position. Its something weve wanted to be able to do while we were still young (both age 26) and do not have children. I am told I will not be able to work while im over there except on the base and jobs are scarce due to the amount of enlisted spouses there, but the University of Maryland has a college program on the base for the spouses of government employees (me) and I will probably go for my Bachelors in Business( I already have a Bachelors in Biomedical Electronics, so it wont take to long to get it). I have always wanted to own a hobby shop, and this will provide the perfect opportunity when we return so i figured I should know how a small business is supposed to work... :)

We are going to be over there for 3 years, with the option of staying for an additional 2 years after the first term is up.

Needless to say we have LOTS of stuff to do in the next 7 weeks to prepare to move our lives as we know it to Germany, so Its been kinda busy. We are scheduled to leave on Oct 2nd.

We have been very lucky thus far, weve managed to sell our House for what we wanted to get out of it without it ever going on the market, simple word of mouth and we sold it. we close on it next week. The new owner is going to rent it back to us for a very genrous amount until we are ready to leave for Germany. We have sold two of our three vehicles, as we can only ship one over there, there was no need to keep the other two Stateside.

We had a huge wedding planned for the end of October, but we had to get married quickly (justice of the peace, on the beach, one Sunday morning) due to the amount of paperwork and other crap that was needed to for me to be able to go with her. We were officially married on July 6th, but we have decided to still have a religous ceremony to keep the parents happy, and the fact that they already had a large amount of nonrefundable money tied up with various wedding related things. It is now scheduled for the 20th of this month.

Anyways, My life has been utter chaos for the past 5 weeks, and its not getting much better anytime soon. I am VERY glad I got to go to the Internats this year and see all of my long distance friends one last time before we depart. My next and last stateside race will be at our C.M.B. O.B. Tunnel Championships. its the last weekend before we leave.

:D   :D   :D   :D   :D

Now for any Germans or Americans stationed in Germany, what is the Boating scene like over there??? what is the sanctioning body over there? is it Naviga? are there any clubs in the area that I will be in (Kaiserslautern) ? Can I use my 75mhz radios over there?? if not, what do I use? 40 mhz?

what classes are most popular? any tunnels run in Germany? Is there any English websites that I can view to get info on European racing? tons of questions....

~James

P.S. I read somewhere that Kaiserslautern has more Bars per capita than any other place in Germany :blink:   :blink: and they sell beer by the Liter! My kind of country!

109554[/snapback]

While you are young......Sounds like a great plan! Topfuel Hobby Shop sounds like a plan too. Wonder what they will specialize in? Boats maybe? Well, glad I will get the chance to race with you one more time before you go. Dude, I doubt you will be able to drink American beer when you get back. Unless you can reacquire a taste for watered down dog pee. :lol: :lol:

Hi James ,

Bryan had told me about u coming overseas , hope to meet u one day .

A : yes , the organisation is Naviga

B: No , not that i know off , no tunnel races , sorry

C : but i'm pretty sure u'll find lakes enough to run your boat.

D: FSR V , FSR O and hydro , those are the most common classes overhere .

E: There's a big group of offshore racers in germany , i'll try to find some contacts for you

F: 40mhz is normal overhere , i do think u can use your 75mhz overhere , i don't think there is something on that freq ( but its not allowed for races )

Some links :

http://modelboatracing.co.uk/

German board :

http://www.rcpowerboatforum.de/cgi-bin/sbb13/sbb.cgi?

U can type in english tho , they'll answer your questions ;)

Ramstein hmm mary :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

See u one time ,

B

James, as one who has lived overseas (China), I say make the most of it. Take the time to meet and get to know as many of the local people as you can. Explore as much as possible. You'll make many new friends and learn that even though other cultures are very different, we're all pretty much he same. You'll have experiences you'll remember and enjoy for a lifetime.

Chuck

James, first off, congrats on tie'n the knot.. B) I'm both :) and :( that you are heading out country. As stated, enjoy your time over there.. Sounds like a once in a lifetime chance. Think when you get back you'll be right there with the Oz folks sucking down those liters! Maybe you won't look like this the morning after

tf443.jpg

:lol: :D :lol: :D

I may have to figure out how to squeeze blood from a turnip to head to the CMB Tunnel race. Don't know if I'll be able to make it down <_< Our house didn't sell :angry:

Good luck, keep in touch B)

Bart Drieghe said:
Ramstein hmm mary  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

109562[/snapback]

what does that mean? :D

Hey Bart, Thanks for the answers! Does Naviga have any tunnel (outboard) classes at all?

I definately want to race, but I need to get familiar with the rules that Naviga runs by, is there anyway to get a rulebook online thats in english? I dont have a clue what FSR V and FSR O mean... Ive looked on the Naviga website, but its in German.... :blink:

can you tell me what Mhz are "legal" to run at a sanctioned race?

what part of Belgium are you located in?

Chuck, thats probably the single most enticing thing that swayed our decision, the opportunity to experience new cultures and meet people along with the travel possibilities are VERY exciting. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

~James

hahaha.... thanks Mark, even the Aussie boys were hurtin that morning!

That would be awesome if you could make it down to the Tunnel Champs, itll be a race you dont want to miss.

James "God im glad I stayed in a hotel and not a tent this year at the internats" Clegg

:D

James,

I just made a boo boo.. :( ooops.. but what ever, instead of clicking on reply i clicked on report... hey, its really late.. :unsure: so i dont know if youll be able to see the other one that i wrote but here it is of what i can remember...

From the short while that i have known you, and thats short, because i spent the whole time at the Internats being scared and intimidated..silly huh?? but im gunna miss you. im not gunna be able to make the charleston race.. dont be too sad.. :rolleyes: yea, but i hope the best for you and your wife.. And hope everything works out with the move and the wedding..o and your racing.. lol... wish you for the best and safe traveling..

DONT LET THE BUDDA GET TOO BIG!!!!

we all know how much practice racing your gunna get being a stay-at-home husband... lol.. just playing..

Best of luck,

Danielle

Thanks Danielle, sorry you guys cant make it to our race, Dont worry about the Budda, its my prized possesion, lots of hard work went into that!

~James

looking forward to being a "stay-at-home husband", nothing like a little 3 year vacation!

Hey James...CONGRATS! Does she know what she's gotten herself into? :p

Sounds like you're gonna be busy for a while. Best of luck with the overseas gig. Stay in touch...this is INTERNATIONALwaters after all.

Do you need a place to store anything like....ummmm....I don't know.....boats or stuff? ;)

No , not that i know off , no tunnel races , sorry
[SIZE=14pt]Zeit für Deutsche, Tunnelboote zu treffen![/SIZE]

topfuel443 said:
hahaha.... thanks Mark, even the Aussie boys were hurtin that morning!
That would be awesome if you could make it down to the Tunnel Champs, itll be a race you dont want to miss.

James "God im glad I stayed in a hotel and not a tent this year at the internats" Clegg

:D

109572[/snapback]

But at least I woke up to race. Lucky they didn't have breathelizers when I got up on the drivers stand last year

Selling beer by the litre, you'd hope that the Germans don't have breathelizers either.

We could have done it all again next year, but I will have to find some other "Yanks" to go drinking with.

Grub

thats because I didnt have winks to drag me out of the hotel and into the car to get to the pond..... Ok, I was staying at the pond, but still.....

Thanks to the Aussies for one of my top 3 worst hangovers ever.

~James :D

Hey Jim see what happens to you when you sit in on a board meeting they kick you out of the country. My sister had been over there for over 10 years with her husband who works for the GOV. He is trying to go back for another 5 she doesn'tr want to go over any more she is starting to like it here looking to set up a permanent house and settle down. Good Luck you might contact the Xtreme boaters from Holland Paul Winstra is one of them he like tunnels. Have a good time and enjoy.

James my friend

As you know i knew this was coming and its sad indeed.. I for one will miss you a bunch but knowing its only for a few years.. thats cool...

For those that have not met James must know he has a cool sence of manners and a great sence for helping.. Thanks

Please take care..

Your bud

Mike

Big T............ You have the opportunity that some of us can only dream about.

All the best in the new "Ball & Chain deal." Get a good pair of confortable shoes.

You will learn to like them. You can tell me why later...................

If you have the chance, take in some of the worlds best sporting events that happen over there. The UIM offshore & tunnel boat series, F1, MotoGp.

DTM is a must see!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you go to a soccer match, and do go the experience will be out of this world. Not the game so much,maybe, but the FANS. Find out what the color of the two teams playing ARE and WEAR a NETURAL color

And last but by no mean least, You have OUR permission to become a BEER CONNOISSEUR and ATTEND the OKTOBER FEST as OUR OFFICAL REP. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We Hope to get updates :D :D :D :D

All the best.

Hi James,

it's always good to see some outbaord fans come to europe, we are a dying race overhere. Kaiserslautern is about 300 miles from where i live in Holland. Every year in July there is a big powerboatmeeting in Heilbronn (not to far from Kaiserslautern). You should definitly go there. 3 days of BBB (boats, beers and BBQ).

Hope we can meet someday somewhere in Europe. Maybe a get together with Bryan (aka snowdog) who lives in Belgium.

QUOTE(Bart Drieghe @ Aug 8 2005, 02:55 AM)

Ramstein hmm mary      

what does that mean? 
Blame Bryan for this lol .

No , Naviga has no outboard rules and no outboard races , sorry .

FSR V is this : http://modelboatracing.co.uk/photos/stuttg.../stutt2005c.htm

or : http://modelboatracing.co.uk/multiracing.htm

Engines: 3.5cc , 7.5cc , 15cc and sparkengines , 35CC

FSR O ( offshore ) : http://users.pandora.be/kn/modelpowerboats/text/Friends.htm

meaning Cats , mono's

Engines: 3.5cc , 7.5cc , 15cc and sparkengines , 35CC

FSR H (HYDRO ) , well u know what those are lol

3.5cc , 7.5cc and 15 cc

MHZ , if not mistaken 40 mhz and u're alright

Belgium is a lil country , i live on the flemish side but i'm able to speak french , lil bit german , english ( and dutch /flemishnaturally )

City : Oudenaarde

Now , concerning races ,

Like i said no races with outboards , sorry

Races in offshore , yea a few but , there are more meetings (like Paul mentioned ), from lil boats ( 3.5cc up to 70 cc and even more sometimes )

Races in FSR V , several : http://modelboatracing.co.uk/regattainfo/I...ational2005.htm

Now those are the "internationals " , then u also got some races in germany and so on .

Feel free to send me a mail if u have more specific questions , i'll do my best to help u .

Best regards ,

B

Bring one (or more) Tunnels with you to go to meetings.

And do the same as Michael Bontof as he was in Europe , build a FSR-V

nitro/petrol endurance-race hull (choose your engine-class) when you're over here and go to the International competition races , the .90 class has often 80 to 100 (or more) competitors.

Mind you that are HALF HOUR races .... Counter Clockwise ... M-shape course.

That's totaly differend :D

You want trophy's to show when you're going back ?

Buy a CMB RS35(petrol-class) and a PMC Thunder hull , or bring a CC-Racing full-mod 260 / QD Rearexh. or so for that hull.

(You can beat Bart in that class then :p )

Back