thunder tiger mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah that's your TS3 TT/BXR Alden special..... pretty silly question now I look at the pic :blink: how do you like the TS3 performance with that power plant, can it handle the speed ok? I love my TS3 drives like it's on rails wot all the time sweet as.
The hull is awesome as far as performance goes!!! Bit worried about the reliability... I had a 21 pro Alden worked up on in this video!!!! I had one more chance to run the TS3 before I ran out of time.... The last time out it was on rails and I had the radio setup to help me drive so no more spinouts!!!

I know have the BXR aka Beatle Bomb that I'm trying to find time to put on the hull and rig the boat back up!!!! I have little time due to out of town work and 3 girls and a wife that get my time before boats when I'm home on the weekend!!! But watch out cause when I do get her going I will have some videos to offer up also!!! Lots of videos at that cause I have 8 gallons of nitro sitting here that need to be burnt up!!!

bingo,,,,,, tim is on it.... that mount was supposedly available back in the day...... jerry spoke of it a couple times.... while it is a great upgrade from the factory mount.... the octura i bebelive is the best option.... the tt mount allows no pin adjustability... this can be good,,and this can be bad,,,depends on who you ask...... i like the ability to change the angle of the pin seperate from the thrust angle...... simple reason is you can add pin inclination as to set the boat down in the turns without chopping off the throttle....the octura mount was designed for the 3.5 k&b,,, the pin bushing needs to be drilled to accept the tt pin,, or pressed out and a nylon liners put in... the liner idea is somthing jerry did faithfully,,, to be honest its a ton of work,, and the top hinge post must be drilled and tapped to key the pin to the post...the reason for this is the pin will be so tight that the pivot posts will rotate on the pin,,instead of the pin rotating in the mount,,,this whollers out the posts perdy fast.... tim is also correct on the steering arms,,, they really really slacked in this department... the stainless ones are a great alternative....

alden

Last edited by a moderator:
BXR work done by Alden!!!! Thanks Buddy!!!!
Sweeet kroggs...... BXR is that the long stroke buggy engine? sounds like speed to me..... I have a couple of spare lowers I should build something up, what do you guys suggest for a powerhead is there anything that dosen't need a lot of work to be compatable with the TT lower.... The 30VG sounds awesome but I imagine there is a lot involved in that conversion!!

Bxr is the way to go!!! They can be had for 130the if you search! !! The 30the vg is tough on flex shafts from what I hear...

the bxr is surely the way to go...but honest truth is every conversion has its tough spots...the tt .21 bxr...the o.s .30 vg,,the go .21 natural case,,the go .25 natural case,, the rb concepts .21,, the o.s .21 vz,,,,any variation u can think....they all need the back plate turned in a lathe or milled...some builds have fewer steps to get it all to fit nice,,,but those fewer steps typically mean longer time on those steps....point being no conversion is as simple as bolting them together,,,specially if they will be port timed,,and buttons cut.. the choice is yours buddy,,the possibilities are endless,,,just be ready to machine somthing,,or press drill rod blanks into the con rod pin...

hands down the fastest most reliable coversion is the .21 vz,,,its a butt load of work to make them fit though,,,jerrys was his pride...it was named "NEO",,, which is "THE ONE"...... he took much pride in that boat,,,and it was a rocket and absolutely reliable....

im gonna have to agree with kevin,,,the bxr is a solid conversion torque monsters will cause the flex issues for sure,,,,ive had good luck with lawless shafts,,,no breakage in a couple years now.,,take prop shaft shear pins like crazy,,,couple props too,,,but not one flex broke,,only one opened up a little...

ohhh i have one for ya..,,take a bxr .21,,,leave it stock,,but cut the cooling head down like u see on kevins,,and slap it on a stock lower with a cut back skeg...make ur muffler stinger .250 and let it rip,.,u will be surprised.....

i dont beleive they will :p ...... try a reduced to 40mm x642 back cut.. or try a full blade x640 slight back cut,, these back cuts are the v notch,,not the constant back cut... people do it all kinds of ways so figure id be specific...... :p

you probably really need to just hit the pond with the prop off the pro .21 you have.... that will work,, then go from there..... or grab a 640 and really start testing different things that work for you.... a prop change can ruin your whole setup,,, so keep in mind every prop you try will need different engine adjustments to regain the drivability and speed... ;) tim sent me a 642 that was cut on,,,that worked well on the bxr for him in oz.... it was fast here to,,, but not like i had expected..... just different areas.... now,,, i put that on the vg and it really went well.....

pro 21 has the 637.... And the pro could spin that just fine!!!!! I expect the bxr torque monster to be able to sling a tug boat prop!!!!!!

ohhh i have one for ya..,,take a bxr .21,,,leave it stock,,but cut the cooling head down like u see on kevins,,and slap it on a stock lower with a cut back skeg...make ur muffler stinger .250 and let it rip,.,u will be surprised.....
Alden so the bxr will fit straight onto the lower with no mods needed? The pto backplate off the pro.21m will bolt straight in the bxr, bxr crankshaft pin fits pto???

This one I did a few years ago it was my first TT engine. Expert opinion's did I cut to much skeg down? I ask because I had running issues but I'm pretty sure now it wasen't the skeg I just went to high with prop height! Didn't get much testing done but maybe I did take to much off. If you guys think it's ok, I might build up a bxr conversion, had a look on ebay before and found new bx-r for $129 thats pretty reasonable. I should Build this up for when the OS xm passes it's used by date(cheaper than rebuilding the OS) and put the bxr on the back of the VS1 ohh yeah....

Alden so the bxr will fit straight onto the lower with no mods needed? The pto backplate off the pro.21m will bolt straight in the bxr, bxr crankshaft pin fits pto???
Not quite - there's a little bit more to it but it's not difficult. The top steering mount holes don't line up with the case properly. Then there is the carb -the engine comes with a slide carb, and the carb neck size is larger than what the original TT engine uses. Luckily it is a common size so other carbs fit without mods. The port timing is buggy numbers and needs adjusting, the crank is the SG type crank thread and the extra piece needs to be removed, the head design is different and uses M3 screws instead of M2.5

It's a great conversion though - with the right prop and pipe the engine was a monster.

Not quite - there's a little bit more to it but it's not difficult. The top steering mount holes don't line up with the case properly. Then there is the carb -the engine comes with a slide carb, and the carb neck size is larger than what the original TT engine uses. Luckily it is a common size so other carbs fit without mods. The port timing is buggy numbers and needs adjusting, the crank is the SG type crank thread and the extra piece needs to be removed, the head design is different and uses M3 screws instead of M2.5

It's a great conversion though - with the right prop and pipe the engine was a monster.
Thanks tim for your input, the only problem I would have is with the port timing, i've never been able to understand the timing numbers or how to adjust them. :wacko:

Did some work on the TS3/BXR tonight now I leave for out of town work and hopefully return home to a box of parts to finish her off and begin breakin!!!! I will have to try and shove some nitro through her to have her ready for the following weekends race!!!!

I just have to rig it up which should be easy as its dang near the same as my old pro 21!!! Then hopefully my order shows up with the new easily programable radio!!!! Repair the servos my truggy ripped apart and toss her in the water!!!! Prop chasing here I come......

I also have a wedding next Saturday that will eat up some time.....

Enjoy the build my friend and have fun with the break in (not to much fun though) post a vid of the bxr if you get a chance, I'd like to see her in action. I think I'll stick with what I know, THE STOCK ENGINE thats all i've had to work with and it's plenty fast & has mass torque to turn the bigger props, get engine temps up, fatten up that HSN for her to create the power to turn that prop...... thats my theory and i'm sticking to it lol :blink:

Latest posts

Back