Speed Secrets

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kish

After reading the post on Teflon tape I thought it might be fun if

we all share a tip or a speed secret that we do to try to gain an edge on the competition.

One thing I have been doing for a number of years now is after mounting that new drive dog

to my flex shaft I then grind the drive dog true to the shaft.

You would be amazed at how nuch a drive dog can be running out , I have seen as much as fifteen thous.

It seems silly to spend all that time on a prop to balance it and forget about the drive dog directly in front of it.

Who will be next , even the smallest of tips can help.

Tim K

Flywheels are typically assumed to be balanced. With its diameter, it doen't take much to cause problems.

-Carl,

This is a quote from Don Pinckert. He said this to me about a million times over the years....

"You may not run GOOD, rich.....but you ain't gonna run AT ALL lean"

Fellas,

Outrigger set up tip that may be overlooked. When you are trimming out the front sponsons

we typically grind down the front boom mounting block and slot the front and rear boom tube

holes for adjustment. When you adjust the front boom tube it will give you the perfect ride

that you are looking for. Most adjust the rear boom tube only and they forget about the more

important one which is the front boom tube. You need to make things adjustable so you can fine

tune the ride with a "Steve Wood Shim Kit". :D Then try some "Speed Lube" on your driveline.

"Speed Lube" will debut in Toledo at the Hobby Swap Shop, stop on by and pick some up.

Works Well,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,

Outrigger set up tip that may be overlooked. When you are trimming out the front sponsons

we typically grind down the front boom mounting block and slot the front and rear boom tube

holes for adjustment. When you adjust the front boom tube it will give you the perfect ride

that you are looking for. Most adjust the rear boom tube only and they forget about the more

important one which is the front boom tube. You need to make things adjustable so you can fine

tune the ride with a "Steve Wood Shim Kit". :D

Works Well,

Mark Sholund

I would agree there. I usually state it as this:

adjusting the rear boom will give a coarse adjustment.

adjust the front boom for very fine tuning.

fine tuning = SPEED

I can only state this as is.. TURN FIN TURN FIN TURN FIN.. with out a doubt next to the prop it is the SECOND most important part of the boat.. trust me i have plenty of Junk ones if anyone wants one..

i always thought if it was close it would be ok. ask my dad how many we have tried and he say's WHAT DO YA THINK. I LOOK AT HIM AND SAY NOT GOOD ENOUGH LOL.....

chris

Use only as much rudder deflection as needed to get through the corners and then none in the straights if at all possible. Every correction (applying rudder) means a loss of speed. ;)

I can only state this as is.. TURN FIN TURN FIN TURN FIN.. with out a doubt next to the prop it is the SECOND most important part of the boat.. trust me i have plenty of Junk ones if anyone wants one..

i always thought if it was close it would be ok. ask my dad how many we have tried and he say's WHAT DO YA THINK. I LOOK AT HIM AND SAY NOT GOOD ENOUGH LOL.....

chris

he drives me nuts with the **** turn fins

For sure there is a list to name every little piece of our boats that need to be carefully revised .

I've been fighting with flexcollets and my Turnfins are milled to have every bend finished square and sharp too.

Needless to say something about speed finish on bottons and edges.

Gill

Meticulous attention to detail on your set up means more than anything else without exception. My good friend & now race partner John Finch taught me this a long time ago and the numerous boxes (still haven't hung them up since I moved 2 years ago :p ) of first place trophies I have are proof of how right he was. You can take a monster motor & put it in a poorly set up hull & it will get it's a$$ whupped every time by a good stock motor in a finely tuned hull. Anyone who knows me & how my boats are built & run can tell you the attention I pay to set up detail. As an example my sponson angle adjustments are done by tenth's of a degree...... ;)

.........and never be afraid to think outside the box. :D

The best SPEED SECRET I know is a DRY Radio Box. :D

Well.....maybe not the best, but it's a good one. :)

I'm sorry but I would have expected a bit more of a speed secret from Mr Brown than "Don't Flood your Reciever and Servos with Water" :blink: :lol:

I'm sorry but I would have expected a bit more of a speed secret from Mr Brown than "Don't Flood your Reciever and Servos with Water" :blink: :lol:
I'd rather hear about his method for finding the subjects of the photos that appear in his gallery! ;)

Latest posts

Back