NAMBA and IMPBA Hall of Fame

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Pass. Passed & Present Directors & Presidents  looked around to push whoever they seemed fit. possible in their own districts.. Parts vendors & distributors &  Others that made a Partical living at selling within the Boat RC Hobby have always been taboo.. Some have finally made it.  But they should have made it much sooner on their Merits alone.. It requires a Movement or a Big Push to  get the Peeps you are Speaking of  elected into the Hall of Fame... Good Luck Roger Hooks in  getting pass a lot of RED TAPE....... 
Don't know why competing members who also might make a buck or two  selling boats and parts would be taboo. Most if not all who have done it know there are much lucrative businesses to be in. It's a credit to such individuals to choose to stick with boats rather than give it up to make a better living and most of us benefit from their sacrifice. 

Don't know why competing members who also might make a buck or two  selling boats and parts would be taboo. Most if not all who have done it know there are much lucrative businesses to be in. It's a credit to such individuals to choose to stick with boats rather than give it up to make a better living and most of us benefit from their sacrifice. 
Agreed Roger, I am not sure why that would be a disqualifying criteria. Some of NAMBA's most notable HOF members were people like Al Prather, Steve Muck,  Al Hobbs and Lenny Blake just to name a few. I have never heard of anyone retiring to the Riviera from selling toy boats. Most who sell model boating products do so out of their love for the hobby or a way to help pay for the hobby. 

I had heard that same thing years ago.. (in IMPBA) years ago.. But when you looked at the people in the HOF it was easy to see that was not true.

from the IMPBA Rule Book

I - IMPBA Hall of Fame Criteria Through the years, several people have been honored by their peers for making a contribution to model boating. The following criteria have been established for making nominations to the Hall of Fame. 1. Significant contributions to the advancement of model boating or competition. 2. Significant contributions to IMPBA as an organization. 3. Significant national recognition as a competitor. 4. Significant technical contributions to model boating as a hobby sport without receiving financial gain or manufacturer status as a result. 5. Manufacturers must make significant contributions in areas other than for, or as a result of, their products to be considered. 6. National championships or records are not required for consideration. Each district can nominate 2 people each year, and any nominees will be voted on at the International Regatta Board meeting. A limit of two (2) of these nominees may be inducted per year

I had heard that same thing years ago.. (in IMPBA) years ago.. But when you looked at the people in the HOF it was easy to see that was not true.

from the IMPBA Rule Book

I - IMPBA Hall of Fame Criteria Through the years, several people have been honored by their peers for making a contribution to model boating. The following criteria have been established for making nominations to the Hall of Fame. 1. Significant contributions to the advancement of model boating or competition. 2. Significant contributions to IMPBA as an organization. 3. Significant national recognition as a competitor. 4. Significant technical contributions to model boating as a hobby sport without receiving financial gain or manufacturer status as a result. 5. Manufacturers must make significant contributions in areas other than for, or as a result of, their products to be considered. 6. National championships or records are not required for consideration. Each district can nominate 2 people each year, and any nominees will be voted on at the International Regatta Board meeting. A limit of two (2) of these nominees may be inducted per year
Hmmmm.... I'm confused. You said that was not true but number 4  and 5 says ""Significant technical contributions to model boating as a hobby sport without receiving financial gain or manufacturer status as a result."... "Manufacturers must make significant contributions in areas other than for, or as a result of, their products to be considered." 

So that pretty much says it is true. Can you give an example of someone making a contribution to boat racing without it relating to boat racing products. I guess if a guy is a District Director or President that is an example. In my opinion though that can leave out some very noteworthy contributors to the history and advancement of the organization. I'd just ask to consider a time 50 or maybe a 100 years from now if the organization is still going would it be a true depiction  of any organizations history if pioneers were omitted because they sold boats and that credit be assumed by others who did no pioneering but instead just followed those that pioneered. Looking forward and then looking back from there I could see that happening.

If I'm not mistaken people are members of the NHRA Hall of Fame that made a living off of selling engine parts to NHRA racing teams. Why would RC Boats be different?

One of the criteria for inclusion in the NAMBA hall of fame is contributing to the hobby including making boats and parts.  Quite a few members have built well known hulls.  Length of membership in NAMBA and positions held at the regional and national levels are other factors.

Lohring Miller

Back