Restoring 63' Tahoe Miss

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bittersweet Red - Dupont Orange #5080 & Cream #43938

The cost for me providing you these codes is next year at Al's race you will pull over and let me pass, in case you forget I will remind you.

Greg

Doug asked the same thing of me. To pullover cause he races much better when he's not chasing me or being chased by me. :lol: :lol:

Ok....... :( Where do I start. I started to sand the hull to see what I needed to make this boat ready for paint. And this is where my troubles began. The strut mount was so badly corroded I had to cut the whole section out which I did not mind so much as the rear section was so uneven it would take more to fill and repair than to remove and install a new section. This is also when I found out its a glass hull so I was happy so see that. After removing the rear section I found the wood that lined the tub had separated from the glass. Not a big deal as it only looked to be in the rear. Went on to remove the radio box and sand the hull. More damage and despair. Cut more of the hull out to get to good material so repairs can start. And again more damage and now starting to think about trashing the hull all together. So to make a long story even more painful you'll see in the following pictures gutted the entire hull to get all the rotted wood out of it. So I'm looking at it and I can blend in the repairs to the deck to alleviate me from having to do a complete repaint. I'll take a shower to clear my head and decide on this one. If you have a weak stomach i warn you now do not look at the pictures. :p

IMGP2114.jpg

IMGP2115.jpg

IMGP2116.jpg

IMGP2117.jpg

Kevin, I've seen worse.... As Omerzu says.... "Bondo is your friend".... Hey, ya got all winter. Patch it up, reinforcements.....sand, bondo, sand, primer, paint.... I'll be starting on the Bardahl soon as well.....

cheers

What I paid for it I'm not at all mad. Al on the other hand paid a fortune for it and he knows he got screwed.

I've already have the one sponson filled with 6lbs expanding foam and sheeted. the tube deck has been cut and fitted. side rail for the tube cut so she's well on her way.

Excellent, classic scale will have a few more runners for next year.....

Nice looking boat Marty.

Anyway after building up the sponson with 6lbs expanding foam. milling out the foam to add some ply and carbon fiber cloth. Then the fun began build up with bondo sand down build up sand down and after four layers the the sponson is now flat and shaped correctly to match the left side. Next will be fitting and gluing all the internal parts in the tub.

IMGP2118.jpg

Are you serious? 6 pounds of foam???????????????????? I've got a couple of pounds in a Muck hull I bought used that will be all coming out. A shaped piece of foam with most of the middle and back carved out would have been better to save weight.

:lol: :lol: No it's how they grade this type of expanding foam. It's Alumilite 2 part foam at 6lbs density. It's very lite but super strong.

Ah, now that makes sense. I thought you had put 6 POUNDS OF EXPANDED FOAM into the sponsons. I've seen expanding foam spontaniously expand in the sun blowing boats apart which is why I'm taking it out of my boat. IN my case, it's just in the front of the sponsons so it's not a big deal

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a few hours of spare time and got the tub basically done. Need to cut for the stuffing tube, install the engine mount. Looking better every time I get some spare time. Will hope to get her all done before X-mass..... YA right :lol:

IMGP2126.jpg

IMGP2127.jpg

IMGP2128.jpg

and the Accu-tech hardware

IMGP2130.jpg

Kevin, make sure ya give her lots of negative angle in the strut....Paul has lots in his Supertest and my new Bardahl will have lots too. Gotta keep em' on the water....

I'll be keeping that in mind when I get the stuffing tube in. I thought I had enough tube but it was a few inches short. There's always tomorrow he I come PM hobbies. I should be getting ready to repair the paint and order the dummy engine in a week or so.

I'll be keeping that in mind when I get the stuffing tube in. I thought I had enough tube but it was a few inches short. There's always tomorrow he I come PM hobbies. I should be getting ready to repair the paint and order the dummy engine in a week or so.
Sounds good...I'm making good progress on mine too. Making the vertical fin tomorrow as well as installing the shaft log and then I can start sanding and priming....

Back