Restoring 63' Tahoe Miss

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITROSNIFER

Just picked up a round nose from Al (at his race in Montana) it's the 63 Tahoe Miss need any pics you may have to add to my collection. Thanks all Hulls rough and needs a complete make over. Al bought it from e-bay and you know how that go's sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
nitro,

you sure are busy. the tahoe miss is another beauty. have you checked the photo sources posted for your '72 ND search ?

aaron olson built a beautiful gas powered TM U-3. maybe he can help. aaron told me that accurate paint colors are a challenge.

sandy ross collection on the HARM website,

unlimiteds detroit photo archive

leslie fields hydro history

david newton smugmug galleries and the roger newton drawing

eileen crimmin collection

as always, thank you for posting photos harry, that '67 bud on the trailer was a beauty.

dave

Yes I've checked all the previous sites and as soon as I get back from Montana I'll order the sheets from Newton. I just like to have picture proof of what I'm building to get a more accurate idea of how it looked. And of course when our director looks it over there wont be any issues.

nitro,

i'm assuming that you're building the orange with cream colored scallops HTM U-3. the best photo i've found so far is one from the hydro history website. roger had a pretty good one on the newton marine website. couldn't find one in david's smugmug gallery but am sure that he has more. i know there are good ones out there but can't find them now. i'm surprised that there weren't any on the UD website either. a few in the sandy ross galleries but none of the scalloped bow boat.

i like these searches but your '72 ND and now the '63 HTM are hard to find. i'm pretty sure that ned crimmin can help you and of course harry always comes through. my collection is not organized and my memory is worn out.

i hope aaron olson sees your request, he built a beauty and located some good photos. he can explain getting the correct paint if you want the exact colors.

there were photos of a very nice 1/8 scale HTM U-3 on the NAMBA D-19 website a few years ago. they might be able to help you.

you might ask michael prophet on the UNJ website. he's been very helpful.

good luck

Thanks Dave for your help as always and it's appreciated more than you know. It makes the searching for info and paint colors/sceams way easier to find.

Kevin

Hulls rough
WE WANT PICS!!!
I'll get picks of it when I get back to Canada

P.S. I wish more of you guys would make it to Montana for AL's race the weather has been superb and the pond like glass. But hey just more trophy's for me LOL. But seriously it's a great time and would be great to meet you all.

nitro,

i'm assuming that you're building the orange with cream colored scallops HTM U-3. the best photo i've found so far is one from the hydro history website. roger had a pretty good one on the newton marine website. couldn't find one in david's smugmug gallery but am sure that he has more. i know there are good ones out there but can't find them now. i'm surprised that there weren't any on the UD website either. a few in the sandy ross galleries but none of the scalloped bow boat.

i like these searches but your '72 ND and now the '63 HTM are hard to find. i'm pretty sure that ned crimmin can help you and of course harry always comes through. my collection is not organized and my memory is worn out.

i hope aaron olson sees your request, he built a beauty and located some good photos. he can explain getting the correct paint if you want the exact colors.

there were photos of a very nice 1/8 scale HTM U-3 on the NAMBA D-19 website a few years ago.

good luck
Aarons T-boat is a beauty- there is a pic on jims rc boat dock.com Thunderboat registery page 2. Don't know if the boat ever ran with the cowling on. 1963 or 1964 was the first UL race I attended-at Lake Tahoe.

Good luck,

Glenn

nitro,

there were photos of a very nice 1/8 scale HTM U-3 on the NAMBA D-19 website a few years ago.

good luck
Aarons T-boat is a beauty- there is a pic on jims rc boat dock.com Thunderboat registery page 2. Don't know if the boat ever ran with the cowling on. 1963 or 1964 was the first UL race I attended-at Lake Tahoe.

Good luck,

Glenn
We have pic's of Aarons T-Boat on the photo page of the WWW.PNWTA.ORG website.

nitro,

good luck

Good luck,

Glenn
Just an FYI. Boat nerver ran with a cowling.

So if it never ran with a cowling how many would be apposed to it running with one???. What engine did it run with so I can get the right one.

So if it never ran with a cowling how many would be apposed to it running with one???. What engine did it run with so I can get the right one.
Kevin, you would have to run it as it ran in real life so with a dummy engine. This is the same situation as the 1981 Captran Resorts which I ran for years.

Roger tried in vain to get the crew of the full size Captran to run the cowl when it was in Seattle in 81..... Besides, the vintage boats look cool with the allison in the breeze.....
smile.gif

hope aaron and leonard don't mind my comments about their boats.

re aaron's gas powered HTM. it was built for the NAMBA thunderboat class. not a scale class so engine cowling is a practical way to run these boats. there are 1/6 scale dummy engines out there but a tedious hassle with gas engine in my opinion and cowling is much more rugged.

i think aaron will be getting a dummy allison for static display. aaron built his boat with a leonard feeback wood hull that's sized for the NAMBA t-boat hull class.

len's hulls and cowlings have best scale outline and proportions among the gas t-boat class hulls currently on the market, in my opinion. obviously you can see certain compromises in hull outline compared to a 1/8 scale. those are to accommodate the 26cc gas engine and tuned pipe, etc.

the IMPBA t-boat class is essentially same but does allow slightly smaller hulls and engine options. the 47 inch zippkit rd nose wood kits are very popular in the IMPBA class. i built a '65 SHU SHU with a zipp dropped sponson kit that runs well. outline and proportions are way off but an economical way to get a good running gas round nose. kit quality and accurate parts cutting are excellent. cowling is a bit large relative to hull for an unlimited class model. 1/8 scale jones cowlings improve the scale appearance. zippkits.com

rcboatworks.com, stryker, offers len's hull and full cowling in glass or len will build you a wood one. his standard hull is basically the newton no. 103 jones pointed bow but he makes others.

the t-boat registry on jrcbd.com has photos of many gas t-boats. good hull comparison reference. look for aaron's '63 HTM and len's beautiful '58 BARDAHL.

Kevin, fess up, just how many scale boats do you have in your basement? If you don't cut it out, there will be none for the rest of us to build. I bought the plans for this boat a couple of years ago from Roger and he gave me as many pictures as he had for it, which isn't many and with this boat it's tricky as at first glace it looks red, in fact it is a bittersweet red, which I am told is more orange than red. I haven't mixed or sprayed this color yet so it remains to be seen if it's a color I will like as at first I thought it to be red. My winter's project is to finish a Sport 40 63 Tahoe Miss, MTO hull, that's why I know a little about it. Roger had the paint codes listed on the plans and I can get them to you if you wish, but if you intend to order the plans from David, they will be on the plans you receive. Now cut it out dude.

Greg

Heck if I don't have to spend more money to get this scale running that would be great. I would very much appreciate the paint codes.

And as long as the bank of my wife holds up I'm gonna keep building/fixing scales. :lol: :lol:

Kevin

Some pics before I start the project. I have decided that I will refinish the top so I do not have to repaint but will gut the hull and re finish the bottom of the hull

IMGP2101.jpg

IMGP2102.jpg

IMGP2103.jpg

IMGP2105.jpg

Some pics before I start the project. I have decided that I will refinish the top so I do not have to repaint but will gut the hull and re finish the bottom of the hull

IMGP2101.jpg

IMGP2102.jpg

IMGP2103.jpg

IMGP2105.jpg
I looked at your boat so rebuild "Big Job" reason remove old style "1980" hardwares & radio box he will work homemade engine mounts, custom wood radiobox and modified cowling (cut 2 piece)throught winter Will you call me that help solve problem your boat in someday :p :lol:

Back