Building my first 1/8 scale . 2008 U1 Miss Elam Plus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don I just realised you were talking about where the canard mounts go. Yes Steve re-enforced those areas with Carbon Fiber . Or I'm assuming that's what your taking about .
The reason I asked is that if it's thick enough I would epoxy threaded brass inserts in the sponson sides. You'll be making adjustments while finding the "sweet spot" for the canard and coarse threaded screws will wear out that area quickly.

Hmmm yea there's no way to reach in there to put an insert in . I do Like the idea. I would have to cut holes in the top of the sponsons to do it . I don't like that idea at the moment.

Hmmm yea there's no way to reach in there to put an insert in . I do Like the idea. I would have to cut holes in the top of the sponsons to do it . I don't like that idea at the moment.
A while back I did a reinforcement for front canard, slotted area directly above where I wanted to beef up then used a thin file to make sure inside vertical surface was flat. Then cut a piece of 1/8" 5 layer ply for each side and epoxied them in place leaving a little extra above deck (piece ran full height of inside edge). Next day block sanded ply down flush with sponson top deck and sealed with epoxy, drilled and epoxied in DuBro threaded brass inserts. :cool:

So before I mess up the rear upright wings I figured I should ask a couple questions. If you look at the pictures I've attached one of the wings the bottom edges of the wing aren't even so I need to trim it I'm thinking along the painters tape line I created. Which is going to shorten the wing by about 1/8" to 3/16". Should the front of the wing be at a specific angle to the base where it sits on the hull?The one wing that isn't to bad measures at about 33.4 deg to the hull. Also does the top of the wing have to be at a specific height? I'm hoping the answer is no to that one. Once I get the base of the one wing correct I can trim the other to the same height so they match.

The wings aren't built up yet just taped together. I'd like to get everything matching before I build them up.IMG_20200824_191844.jpgIMG_20200824_191857.jpgIMG_20200824_191923.jpgIMG_20200824_191943.jpg

Last edited:
You'll be fine, RC Boat Co. wings tend to be a touch on the tall side anyways. Just make the vertical wing alignment close to the real boat in terms of appearance, nobody's gonna get out a protractor to check your angles. :cool:

Be sure to build up anywhere screws go through the FG. The tails on my Elam tend to break out along the bottom of the mounting screw holes due to this area not being thick enough to handle an impact such as hitting the water in the event of a blow over. You may want to do the same to the holes that hold the wing screws and the hardware that holds the brace struts as well though they won't be nearly as prone to breaking as the mounting holes at the bottom of the tails

Paul when I built my rear wings from pieces like that I found a small thin layer of fiberglass on the outside where they join helps big time. We did a set with and without it and the wings without it cracked really bad. Just my 2 cents.

Paul when I built my rear wings from pieces like that I found a small thin layer of fiberglass on the outside where they join helps big time. We did a set with and without it and the wings without it cracked really bad. Just my 2 cents.
Are you talking along the seams where the 2 halves join together ?

I run two 4s in nose and 2 4s tucked perpendicular to the nose
Justin any chance you can take some pictures with the cowl off I'd love to see your layout. How you have the ESC mounted also. You run 4 batteries? Your boat looks great. Hopefully mine turns out as well as yours.

It’s under repair right now. 2 4s in sides perpendicular and 2 in the nose

Attachments

• BE50A8B8-AB26-4FA1-8355-817E52F32D8E.jpeg
    BE50A8B8-AB26-4FA1-8355-817E52F32D8E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 94D3F355-191D-415D-8FEB-5BBE7F3F73E3.jpeg
    94D3F355-191D-415D-8FEB-5BBE7F3F73E3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
It’s under repair right now. 2 4s in sides perpendicular and 2 in the nose

Cool thank you for the pic's . Question where do you mount the ESC? On top of your motor I have the same motor mount? Also wondering why you run 4 batteries. Is it just for longer runtimes. That's a lot of weight. I'm planning on running a pair of 4s in series and somtimes a pair of 5s in series to get 8s or 10s . Just curious who made your hull ? Learning questions, sorry for so many.

Last edited:
Okay, Paul, shall we get something straight? Asking questions is never a bad thing unless you are asking the same question, regardless on if it's worded differently or not, repeatedly with the only goal of being getting the answer you want. Your questions have never shown anything but wanting to learn so there is no need to apologize for asking them.

Back