Reef Racer2 as a retrieve vessel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Norris

I'm sure someone on this forum is using the Reef Racer to retrieve wiyh via a fishing line tied to the transom. Any tips like pulling a ball or bobber etc behind it and any learned techniques would be appreciated.

this is from the same guy who says his boats aren't toys :huh: :p :lol: :lol: . couldn't resist, scooter. i don't use a retrieve boat on smaller ponds, just a fishing rod. anything for weight to cast, & a small cup hook or even a servo (washer head) screw sticking up just far enough for the line to catch on. up on the bow seems to work the best for me. pretty sure it would work with your idea, also.

I'm sure someone on this forum is using the Reef Racer to retrieve wiyh via a fishing line tied to the transom. Any tips like pulling a ball or bobber etc behind it and any learned techniques would be appreciated.
If you were going to be at the club race this weekend, you could give one a try, but since you've got more important things to do... :p

There have been a number of threads over at RC Universe about using various electric boats in such a manner. The biggest problem is they don't work well when your boat is upside down. They also tend to hook something on the back of the boat which means they're fighting more resistance when pulling it in.

The method that works best is to use the reef racer to take the line out to the dead boat and then circle it, shut off and reel both back in to shore.

Trying to come up with some sort of push or snag and drive back syestem will make you crazy :lol:

The method that works best is to use the reef racer to take the line out to the dead boat and then circle it, shut off and reel both back in to shore.

Trying to come up with some sort of push or snag and drive back syestem will make you crazy :lol:
Thats what I have in mind Phil. If you say it works, It Works!! :D

using a fishing rod (when pond size allows), i can raise the rod tip & guide the line over my hook. usually use a lure, have caught fish, while trying to catch my boat ;) . just not good, when the boat is hooked, and the fish wants the lure - yeah, that's happened too :eek: :lol: . and the pond owner was worried that the boats would bother the fish. i'm glad he saw it, now he wants to fish while we run, swears it makes the fish more active :huh: ..........

Thats what I have in mind Phil. If you say it works, It Works!! :D
My friends in StLouis use a reel with the fine spyder wire and can go way out to get a boat back.

using a fishing rod (when pond size allows), i can raise the rod tip & guide the line over my hook. usually use a lure, have caught fish, while trying to catch my boat ;) . just not good, when the boat is hooked, and the fish wants the lure - yeah, that's happened too :eek: :lol: . and the pond owner was worried that the boats would bother the fish. i'm glad he saw it, now he wants to fish while we run, swears it makes the fish more active :huh: ..........
As weird as it sounds Robin, I have had the exact same thing happen at the test pond I use. After a couple of 10-12 lap runs, the pond comes alive. I can only figure we are chumming the small stuff - esp with A/B'S new props-LOL. I use a spinning rig with a Zara Spook, normally just grabs the hardware or antenna pending on boat. Oh yeah, every now and again a fish B)

What a bonus-

As Phil mentioned- braids with a heavy plug throw a LONG way- Im a Power-Pro guy myself-but they all work ......

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
We have used a ZigZag Racer many times to retrieve dead boats... one time a F-mono that was so far out, you could barely see it.

Like said... just go out to, circle around, then reel both in. We tried keeping a tennis ball on with it, but it was way too much drag for the little zigzag racer and was hard to get to turn.

As weird as it sounds Robin, I have had the exact same thing happen at the test pond I use. After a couple of 10-12 lap runs, the pond comes alive. I can only figure we are chumming the small stuff - esp with A/B'S new props-LOL. I use a spinning rig with a Zara Spook, normally just grabs the hardware or antenna pending on boat. Oh yeah, every now and again a fish B)

What a bonus-

As Phil mentioned- braids with a heavy plug throw a LONG way- Im a Power-Pro guy myself-but they all work ......

Andy
I've noticed this same phenomenon while dock fishing for catfish half drunk and asleep on the dock with a bell on my rod tip to wake me up. Everytime a boat would comc up or down the river, the bell would start ringing like crazy. Whether I came to and reeled it in is another story!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed this same phenomenon while dock fishing for catfish half drunk and asleep on the dock with a bell on my rod tip to wake me up. Everytime a boat would comc up or down the river, the bell would start ringing like crazy. Whether I came to and reeled it in is another story!!

Im in the same boat as Scott except I always used glow sticks so I had to stay awake But those where good fish except for the Gar fish that wanted me for dinner oh and the big AZZ snakes :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:

And the Beer

for a few more $ get the Aquacraft Hammer EP. the radio stays dry better and you can get replacement parts, the range is better and can be fun all by its self

I tried a little magnetic dart on a reef racer...and put a couple magnets on the sponson tips of my rigger. Picture is attached of the setup. The dart slides off the tip of the rod when you pass by the magnets on the sponson tips. It worked good in trial next to the shore...but not so good out in the middle of the pond where you can't really see it so well.

Then I built an H-frame and put the reef racer in one side of it. It worked OK, but steering was not that good. I bought an extra rudder with the idea of sheething it with epoxy coated ply...to make it larger and help steering, but never got around to it.

One time I went out to get my nitro boat with the H-framed reef racer, and when I bumped into my nitro boat with the H-frame, something in the reef racer became disconnected...so I had two dead boats out there. Was not really dressed for swimming....but swim I did...

Sean

I tried a little magnetic dart on a reef racer...and put a couple magnets on the sponson tips of my rigger. Picture is attached of the setup. The dart slides off the tip of the rod when you pass by the magnets on the sponson tips. It worked good in trial next to the shore...but not so good out in the middle of the pond where you can't really see it so well.
Then I built an H-frame and put the reef racer in one side of it. It worked OK, but steering was not that good. I bought an extra rudder with the idea of sheething it with epoxy coated ply...to make it larger and help steering, but never got around to it.

One time I went out to get my nitro boat with the H-framed reef racer, and when I bumped into my nitro boat with the H-frame, something in the reef racer became disconnected...so I had two dead boats out there. Was not really dressed for swimming....but swim I did...

Sean
you know whata worse is swimming after the retieve boat Ilost apack of sokes and my cell phone :angry: :angry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to do it 3 dead gass boats to pick up :angry: :angry: :angry:

Scott, there was a tip in an old Boat Modeler mag about using a bow and arrow with fishing line attached!!! But knowing you, you'll shoot your eye out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back