propylene oxide

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

calcraft racer

what is propylene oxide what is it used for and what percentage of a gallon of fuel would it be

calcraft racer said:
what is propylene oxide  what is it used for and what percentage of a gallon of fuel would it be
87583[/snapback]

It is an oxegen lending agent not illegal for Nitro racing use in cold weather aids starting but evaporates rapidly if the can is left open and the weather is warm.

And while HAP say it is not legal for Nitro racing. If you know what you are smelling it is at every nitro race!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets not forget there are the same type of additives for gas. Not sure if they are legal in the gas motors. But if you run VP fuel in a 26 Zen you do not need the additives.

Hap Mulvany said:
calcraft racer said:
what is propylene oxide  what is it used for and what percentage of a gallon of fuel would it be
87583[/snapback]

It is an oxegen lending agent not illegal for Nitro racing use in cold weather aids starting but evaporates rapidly if the can is left open and the weather is warm.

87584[/snapback]

It also has an incredibly low flash point, is extremely volatile & must be handled with the utmost care. Reading the MSDS sheet on this stuff will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. :eek:

calcraft racer said:
87583[/snapback]

is it legal in impba isnt in red max fuel

Also known as Pre-det in a bottle :rolleyes:

word of caution

It's commonly used in Top fuel machines to increase flamefront speed.

Top fuel can control the ignitionwith electronic ignition...glow igniters can only guess....

2 strokers use it at your own risk....mabye good for a cold day

I think it'll be great for carts

Last edited by a moderator:
when i was flying Jet speed in the 70's, we used a mix of 50/50 nitro and prope.

The guys that were flying the Rossi 15's used it alot and man did the engines turn up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you set the glass container on the ground in the late spring or even summer time you could literaly watch the prope come to a boil. good stuff, eh?

if prope is added to our fuel a max of 3% and no more is needed, other wise the needle will become almost way to sensitive to try and get a good setting.

and yes, there are those that use prope in thier fuel now a days. it DOES have it's benefits, but remember not to go OVERBOARD with it. :rolleyes:

carl

Ahhh - takes me back to my kart racing days (early 80's) :D

Used up to 5% in the superstock 4 strokes but didn't use it at all in the superstock Yamaha 2 strokes.

Back