PB Racing new motor test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precision Boats

Hey Gener,

That boat in our shop pictures has an inboard 3.5 that we built a crank an pto & header fore, then turned her upside down. We are testing it right now to see how she does. A kind of neat low cost motor to try out. Also testing that new Hyper foot.

Tim

PB Racing ;D

Hey Tim,

Great idea, I am sure everyone is watching the outboard market right now, it will be nice to have a affordable alternative.

Let us know how she does, Man ya gotta love those mounts and flywheels, SWEET!!!!

Gene ;D

I think that OS will tote the MAIL !!!! I know someone that has done this with the RZ and used the XM crank and rear plate . They will hang tough !!!!!

Compared to the XM there is no comparision !!!!!!!!!

Tim is that a car engine or the RG-M ?? Looks AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D

Hi Tim,

? why are you using a set back mount on this motor. Is it becaues the new hyper dose not sit back the right distance from the transom.

Tim,

Very nice. As are your motor mounts. The one's I've bought are great. I agree w/you for setting back the motor on the mod engine. Gives it good balance and handling rather than being right on the back end of the transom.

Here ya go...

This is the O.S. Max 21RG-M Water Cooled Boat Engine.

FEATURES: Ideal for small radio controlled boats such as sport type hulls.

Blue anodized water jacket cylinder head helps keep engine cooler for

longer run times.

Front exhaust (with crankshaft facing rear of boat) with 180 degree

exhaust header for easy tuned pipe or muffler installation.

True ABC construction, aluminum piston with chromed brass cylinder

liner.

Dual ball bearing supported crankshaft.

INCLUDES: One O.S. Max 21RG-M Water Cooled Boat Engine with 20J carburetor.

One #8 glow plug.

One 180 degree exhaust header with 5/8" (16mm) outer diameter.

One flywheel and taper collet.

One instruction book and decal sheet.

REQUIRES: Fuel 10%-30% Nitromethane with at least 18% lubricant. Lubricant can

be either castor oil or synthetic oil or a combination of both.

Field Equipment: glow starter, fuel bulb, fuel can filter, fuel pump,

fuel tubing, electric starter with starting belt

SPECS: Displacement: 0.211 cu.in. (3.46cc)

Bore: 0.654" (16.6mm)

Stroke: 0.630" (16mm)

Practical R.P.M. 3,000-25,000

Horsepower: 1.7 @ 28,000 R.P.M.

Weight: 11.18oz (317g)

Crankshaft size: 1/4-28

Mounting Dimensions:

Distance between mounting holes on same side: 0.83" (21mm)

Distance between mounting holes on opposite side: 1.46" (37mm)

Width including mounting flanges: 1.77" (45mm)

Width neglecting mounting flanges: 1.16" (29.6mm)

Height from bottom of crankcase to top of head: 2.93" (74.5)

Height from center of crankshaft to top of head: 2.34" (59.5)

Length from backplate to end of flywheel: 3.48" (88.5)

COMMENTS: If converting this engine to pull start, modeler will need:

OSMG8220 Rear Adapter

OSMG4491 Crankshaft

OSMG8979 Recoil

OSMG8980 One-Way Bearing

OSMG4848 Starter Shaft

OSMG8686 Screw Set (contains extra screws for rear adapter)

Warranty: This engine is guaranteed to be free from defects in parts

and workmanship for 2 years from date of purchase. Crash damage and

problems caused by neglect, abuse, customer disassembly, tampering,

use of substandard fuel, incorrect accessories, or any use of the

engine for which it is not specifically intended voids the warranty

Well I'll tell ya at 114 bucks for the engine and add Tim's craftmanship on like a K@B 3.5 lower, Hmmmmm.......

Gives me some ideas, Scary HUH?

Gene ;D

Those performance specs are still better than the XM's !!!!! 1.3 hp The RZ is at 2.5 hp but the $$$ is 250.00 and still have to fit it with the crank and rear plate . I would be looking at some of the car engines .

Has anyone looked to see if the RG-MX pull start type engines can use the stock pull start PTO assemblies for the drive shaft ?? I don't have access to the engines to check and see what can and can not be used .

But would be nice to know !!!!

It would be a shame to lose a go foot design because of the problems between OS and Great Planes in the importing and distribution even if they were over priced !!! Price , I think is driven by the efforts of corporate GP - Hobbico - Tower ect. controlling the market and driving up prices on productes by buying up all the smaller companies and getting control of the import market . Just look at the prices of the basic four channel fm radios, 120.00 range , but since they got the sole futaba importing for the US the 4 fm is 150.00 .

SHEW!!!! GOT THAT OFF MY CHEST !!!

;D

lets see:

100 rg engine

85 hyperformance lower

85 tuned pipe

=270

plus the mods to get the engine to work as an outboard....

might be the right balance between performance and price!

We are going today to the pond if the WIFE will let us. I will give a report soon. ;D

You are right Gene that is our thoughts a cheaper mod motor. Around $250.00 RTR if we can make it all work.

Tim

PB Racing

Tim

That would be wonderful !!!! It's always the smaller businesses that try to help out "us" the midline customer .

THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR US !!!!!!!!!

Gene that would be good if KB would refixture there foot problems .

Soon as my driver gets here WER GOING 72 deg an no wind. Dagum I getting ExCiTEDDDDDD GENE!!!!!!!!!!

Smell that nItRo!

Tim ;D

tim would that be about 250 for adapted engine and hyperperformance lower

that would be a great price

I think that Hyper foot will be good but you will have to inset the transom for it . Maybe not !!!!

Hi Guys

Well we just got back from the pond. We were totaly impressed with it. We ran it on a HTB 260 tunnel with a 1440 cuped an cut prop we do not have third channel with this boat,so we made a couple of runs fat then started leaner here out. Boy's she was hawlng the mail

standing the boat on end on the second lean run. We raised it up just a touch an trimmed here in an she got faster. We are going to tear it down an check all the numbers an send it to our friend Mark Hopper for more testing. We also are contacting a local supplier to see if we can get the motors cheaper. Ol by the way that is a Silver Bullet pipe with a .235 stinger 65% wildcat fuel. Here is how it may go we will offer the complete RTR motor for around $250.00 header an optional starter cone will be $19.95 each if we can get a bigger demand we can get it down some on that price. Let me all know what you think.

Tim

PB Racing

Ya know that kinda puzzles me on the K@B lower, I dont have any trouble with them, lube the flex and clean and sharpen the skeg and polish from the cav plate down, might be the flex shaft length that was discussed before, dont know.

Tim, go get em Dude!!!!! Maybe I need a driver too, I keep crackin em up :eek: Must be my nail it if it gets loose style :p

He,He,

Gene ;D

Gene

We did the test with a cut down K&B 3.5 lower unit today an it ran great. I can't wait to get this program going to help out the hobby. Will let everyone know something soon.

Tim ;D

Back