Outboard Tunnel Racing Pictures from the past to the present!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are two pictures of which I don't know anything, looking like some experimental tunnels....

http://i692.photobuc...s1/MVC-030S.jpg

http://i692.photobuc...s1/MVC-027S.jpg
ronald the first pic is a second generation switzercraft "flying wing". it was fiberglass & 20' long. the first gen hulls were 18' long & made of wood. the first gen hulls had no patterns, they would lay out the wood on the shop floor, draw out what they wanted & go to cuttin'!! those hulls were faster than the gen 2's, due to being lighter & having sharper edges. the boats died off, due to available power not being able to push the heavier fiberglass hulls through the "hump zone". the center section was a true dihedral lifting wing, with a trimmable aleron on the trailing edge, & stepped sponsons. in their day, they were unbeatable. you could truely fly those hulls, i have seen them go 1/4 mile or better, with nothing but about 1/2 of the props in the water. one of the first ob's to break 100 mph, with 2 80 hp white merc inline 6's. when stackers hit the scene, they were ballistic. i was lucky enough to have worked for dave craig at his skyway marine in miami, when he raced one. growing up in miami, in the middle of tunnel hull beginnings, man those were good times ;) :D !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

I do have some video of Tommy, Beth, Karl, Dusty, Henry,Bod Davis, Joey,Terry Moore,Talley,DNE boats, Twister Craft, and more. I need to dig them up and get them translated into digital image movies for safe keeping. Fun Stuff.

-Carl

Thanks for the pics Morpar. I have a small collection of Switzercraft pics.

-Carl
carl, i can't atke any credit for the pics, that goes to ronald/moron. just something that is a very dear memory of early tunnel design. switzer's, jones, carlson, molinari, carlson/molinari, magnum missle, & mccall. man, that was a neat time to be in & around ob racing. McCall's are still my favorite as far as a pretty, good performing hull.

Ron,

I do have some video of Tommy, Beth, Karl, Dusty, Henry,Bod Davis, Joey,Terry Moore,Talley,DNE boats, Twister Craft, and more. I need to dig them up and get them translated into digital image movies for safe keeping. Fun Stuff.

-Carl
Carl,

Those videos would be classics. I along with many people on here would love to see them. If I can help in any way, let me know. I could also help you get them published on YouTube. Thanks.

About the first picture, I wasn't at that race but I remember hearing about it for years. Talley loves to tell about the good ole days. That is Beth Lee spotting for Tommy Lee, Ron Talley spotting for his brother Mike Talley (the driver next tot Tommy). Mike and Tommy went to a lot of races together. They went over there to that race because they kept hearing about Ottos new Throphy Boat. Tommy called Mike Talley and said, let's go see what this is all this talk is about. I think Tommy took 1st and Talley took 2nd at that race.
Carl,

You are exactly right. That was one of my first out-of-town races. I had the pleasure of racing with Tommy and Talley many times in the early years. I raced against Otto's same 20 Mod "Trophy" tunnel at the 1994 Spring Nationals in Atlanta with one of Tommy's early XT 120's. I finished first, Otto came in second, Randy Premo came in third. Jose Ortiz won 40 mono, Stan Simpson won 20 and 60 mono, and our old buddy Joey LeJune won 40 tunnel that year. I won 20 ob tunnel at the Spring Nats with that same original XT120 three years in a row. I think it was 1992, 1993, and 1994.

I have never seen anything like that Foley. What do the bottoms look like? They look to be a cross between a three-point hydro and a tunnel hull with the center cockpit and cowling removed and added to both the port and STBD sponsons????

Ron as I recall, there was some decent info on them on Scream&Fly - In the Outboard Racing and History section .

Foley that new signature pic is BAD AZZ B) B) B) B)

Bob,

Thats a very early pic of Otto with his Trophy Tunnel I think. Looks to be around 1990. Notice the Equi pipe!!! The one he brought to Atlanta in 1994 I think, was super fast and had one of the very first NovaRossi OB conversions on a K&B lower that most of us had not seen before.

Good memorys.

I was racing gas cars back then (Delta).. I was hooked up with Bill at Nova Rossi for my racing program and he knew I was racing boats too. I had my first Nova setup around 93-94. After the frist few runs it was back to the drawing board to design a new hull! lol

https://www.facebook.com/switzer.wings

Great link above to some great pics . De Silva also had a Wing .

Small wing (Tunnel Vee )

http://www.boatracin...ilva-delta-wing

24320rs.jpg

very cool pic of the 7000 & 700 wings. i worked for dave craig at skyway marine back then. i rode in the miss skyway, but it was #711 then. love the old chrysler in the background, another reason i thought mr. k. was cool B) .

Good memorys.

I was racing gas cars back then (Delta).. I was hooked up with Bill at Nova Rossi for my racing program and he knew I was racing boats too. I had my first Nova setup around 93-94. After the frist few runs it was back to the drawing board to design a new hull! lol

Isn't this a famous man in back in the 90's????

Mike-mid90s_zpsd0d7715c.png

Latest posts

Back