Nitro Life Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

I have 3 half gallons of 50% Redmax Nitro fuel from 2001. It's been in a nice cool basement it's entire life. Is it still good?

It's all good Ray. The fuel " looks " to be okay. I don't really see any separation of oil in the fuel. I wanted to be sure and ask people that have more experience then me.

I have 3 half gallons of 50% Redmax Nitro fuel from 2001. It's been in a nice cool basement it's entire life. Is it still good?
I have fuel,red max, that I have been running that I purchased back in 1999, I will take it if you are going to throw it out.

With red max fuel it is pretty easy to see any fuel separation or moss in the fuel from the nitro.

JM2CW

dick

I would run it as long as it is still sealed. Should be just fine. I have never had fuel around that long but have had it around 3 years. Red Max 55 and 60. Even if the dye has faded. I have not seen a performance difference with New RedMax or old.

When I first got into boating I ran fuel that was at least 15 years old. It ran, but not well... It was probably a combination between my inexperience and the fact that most of the nitro / methanol had evaporated out of the plastic bottles over the years. It was supposed to be 45%, when I got some 30% at the local hobby shop it made a huge difference.

Ever go into a hobby shop that doesnt sell much nitro and notice that the dusty old bottles of nitro have noticeably less fuel in them than the newer ones? I was told that this is because the nitro will evaporate through the plastic bottles we typically use. This is why most race fuel companies will use steel cans.

I'd run it as long as it doesn't look or smell bad. It most likely wont have as much power as a new bottle of 50% but you might be surprised...

Brian

I agree with Rodney, It is not worth it to me to spend some big dollars on a new motor and use old fuel, I dont think the risk/reward it worth the gamble. Iknow it is hard to dump fuel But I have done it.

Beau

Not to mention the amount of trouble and headache it can cause if it has by chance absorbed moisture....

Brian,

I dumped 3 gallons after a race due to moisture, chasing the needle, boats runing erratic. Been there done that.

Beau

Brian,

I dumped 3 gallons after a race due to moisture, chasing the needle, boats runing erratic. Been there done that.

Beau
I didn't mean anything negative Beau, just thought that it was funny you referred to it as a "creature" :) ... Sometimes we call them gremlins... Im with you though, chasing your tail with fuel of all things is not fun. Though the way I figure it, if you go into it with the suspicion you have bad fuel and things start acting funny you know its time to dispose of it. If it runs ok, you just staved yourself some cash. :)

Brian

Latest posts

Back