NEW BlackBird 21 G2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt Hench, you say rediculous price to pay for a .21 hydro?? I dont know how long you have been in the hobby, but have you priced 80- 90% finished kits that include all the hardware and stainless fuel tank? The flat kit concept is nothing new. Been around for along time, but how many of those kits were built straight and true? Very easy for a novice builder to end up with junk for the trash barrel. Thats the reason Andy Brown, Ralph Almirola, Stu Barr, Chris Wood, and others dont sell flat kits. When you start with a 80-90% completed kit, you at least start with a straight and true center section, and have a better chance at success. Richard D

Wow cant believe the BS about a top notch rigger.These guys pour there hearts into all there products and stand behind them.There always there to give advice.Thats the whole package from motors to the blackbird and everything in between.There hardware is all custom all the way down to the rubber pushrod seals.They use the best of materials.Great job!!

Matt Hench, you say rediculous price to pay for a .21 hydro?? I dont know how long you have been in the hobby, but have you priced 80- 90% finished kits that include all the hardware and stainless fuel tank? The flat kit concept is nothing new. Been around for along time, but how many of those kits were built straight and true? Very easy for a novice builder to end up with junk for the trash barrel. Thats the reason Andy Brown, Ralph Almirola, Stu Barr, Chris Wood, and others dont sell flat kits. When you start with a 80-90% completed kit, you at least start with a straight and true center section, and have a better chance at success. Richard D
AMEN to THAT!

The whole "mission" of the JAE's was to get people building boats again, Rod and crew did a magnificent job with the boat and that concept. However, that doesn't in any shape, manner or form guarantee the boat will be right every time, THAT is up to whoever is building it and I've known people who couldn't put a 50 cent Guillow's rubber band airplane together correctly. I have owned boats from every builder Richard mentioned and then some over the years and they are all great boats. I have also built a couple JAE's from a 21 to a twin and in that it still takes TIME to build a flat kit and time is worth money. Using $25 an hour (which is LOW by today's standards) figure out how many hours you will honestly spend getting a JAE kit to a 85-90% built state. Then add in the cost of the hardware, the tank, a cowling ...... all part of Chris' kit and hey .... all of a sudden that cost of a G2 Blackbird ain't so "ridiculous" anymore is it?? Plus having had the chance to build one of the original Blackbirds I can tell you first hand the quality found in that boat kit is absolutely FIRST RATE. I like to build and spent many hours in the shop this past winter scratch building new record trial boats and will be starting on a new wood 1/8 scale soon as well but at the same time I didn't mind strokin' the check for my new Crapshooter twin and that was a whole lot more than the cost of G2............. ;)

AMEN to THAT!

The whole "mission" of the JAE's was to get people building boats again, Rod and crew did a magnificent job with the boat and that concept. However, that doesn't in any shape, manner or form guarantee the boat will be right every time, THAT is up to whoever is building it and I've known people who couldn't put a 50 cent Guillow's rubber band airplane together correctly. I have owned boats from every builder Richard mentioned and then some over the years and they are all great boats. I have also built a couple JAE's from a 21 to a twin and in that it still takes TIME to build a flat kit and time is worth money. Using $25 an hour (which is LOW by today's standards) figure out how many hours you will honestly spend getting a JAE kit to a 85-90% built state. Then add in the cost of the hardware, the tank, a cowling ...... all part of Chris' kit and hey .... all of a sudden that cost of a G2 Blackbird ain't so "ridiculous" anymore is it?? Plus having had the chance to build one of the original Blackbirds I can tell you first hand the quality found in that boat kit is absolutely FIRST RATE. I like to build and spent many hours in the shop this past winter scratch building new record trial boats and will be starting on a new wood 1/8 scale soon as well but at the same time I didn't mind strokin' the check for my new Crapshooter twin and that was a whole lot more than the cost of G2............. ;)
yes thats true about them putting there boats together,but also they got there reputation on the line too keep.. But to me is you got a good jig to build from and building skills,I say why not make all these riggers into kits... Some Of US Dont have Deep Pockets like you other guys have..Ecpessially todays economy.. That Why some like to do budget build./we build on a budget. Our last to JAE.12 light weight were scratch built.. Had the first JAE kit to use as a templates...All of these riggers were built with trials and errors ..I'm not trying to start a fight,just stating my opinion...everyone has one.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMEN to THAT!

yes thats true about them putting there boats together,but also they got there reputation on the line too keep.. But to me is you got a good jig to build from and building skills,I say why not make all these riggers into kits... Some Of US Dont have Deep Pockets like you other guys have..Ecpessially todays economy.. That Why some like to do budget build./we build on a budget. Our last to JAE.12 light weight were scratch built.. Had the first JAE kit to use as a templates...All of these riggers were built with trials and errors ..I'm not trying to start a fight,just stating my opinion...everyone has one.
unsure.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif
I think the outrigger hydro section already has an abundance of .12JAE threads, you don't need to rant about them in Allan's Blackbird G2 .21 thread.
cool.gif

AMEN to THAT!

unsure.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif
I think the outrigger hydro section already has an abundance of .12JAE threads, you don't need to rant about them in a Blackbird G2 .21 thread.
cool.gif
I have built probably close to 200 outriggers. All of them scratch built except two of them which were from kits. One kit was a Jaguar .45 @ 80 somethin' %, and the other was a Tidewater Young blood 80 fiberglass. Those boats were alright, but the satisfaction level of building them was next to nothing. I guess it depends on what you're after in this hobby. Also, if you believe that building from scratch is cheap, it isn't. But, as far as building a good raceable rigger, it isn't rocket science. I don't think anyone should be shunned from giving it a shot. There are only a handful of tolerances that you have to stay within to make a rigger perform well. Then again, some people don't have the patience or the facilities to build good riggers, so SGX's, JAGs, and Blackbirds, are the way to go. I think You did a really nice job with that blackbird. It looks like great boat.

Oh! What's up with you Larry? If you don't like some of the threads, don't read them. Why do you have to be so negative? If .12s aren't your gig, so be it. They just happen to be popular if you haven' t figured that out, yet. This forum wasn't designed for you specifically. Give us a break!

My 12 cents :)

I'm happy that here is everything from buying the plans to buying a boat ready to run. It takes all kinds to keep a hobby going.

Al Hobbs

AMEN to THAT!

unsure.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif
I think the outrigger hydro section already has an abundance of .12JAE threads, you don't need to rant about them in a Blackbird G2 .21 thread.
cool.gif
I have built probably close to 200 outriggers. All of them scratch built except two of them which were from kits. One kit was a Jaguar .45 @ 80 somethin' %, and the other was a Tidewater Young blood 80 fiberglass. Those boats were alright, but the satisfaction level of building them was next to nothing. I guess it depends on what you're after in this hobby. Also, if you believe that building from scratch is cheap, it isn't. But, as far as building a good raceable rigger, it isn't rocket science. I don't think anyone should be shunned from giving it a shot. There are only a handful of tolerances that you have to stay within to make a rigger perform well. Then again, some people don't have the patience or the facilities to build good riggers, so SGX's, JAGs, and Blackbirds, are the way to go. I think You did a really nice job with that blackbird. It looks like great boat.

Oh! What's up with you Larry? If you don't like some of the threads, don't read them. Why do you have to be so negative? If .12s aren't your gig, so be it. They just happen to be popular if you haven' t figured that out, yet. This forum wasn't designed for you specifically. Give us a break!

Hammerhead, don't confuse sarcasm with negativity.
laugh.gif
pm me and then we won't have to high jack Allan's .21 G2 thread to discuss .12's
biggrin.gif

AMEN to THAT!

unsure.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif
cool.gif

Allan,

Your new G2 looks awesome! Rumor has it they'll turn on a dime and give you fifteen cents change, so watch out for buoy 2.
wink.gif

I'm happy that here is everything from buying the plans to buying a boat ready to run. It takes all kinds to keep a hobby going.

Al Hobbs
Al,

If not for the efforts put forth by the unsung heroes of this hobby, like you, and Stu, and Glenn, and Mike, most of the toy boats running around these days would only be static display models.

I think the G2 looks great!! I don't think the price that Chris is asking for it is out of line at all.. Dicky D. knows me, and know's that I've built a lot of boats over the years and try saving every receipt for every purchase that you add to your new scratch built/Kit hull and you'll soon find out how quickly you get close to that price after everything is done. Maybe you'll still have to add an Engine/pipe to the G2, but knowing that it's already 80-90% done and true is money in the bank. The price seem's high, because your paying for it all (In one lump sum), not gradually and saving receipts. B)

i don't want a pi$$in match.

and i thank the guys for the kind words

for the people that have otherwise to say.. i leave it at this.. how much time have you spent on boat testing and design changes.. I can count a handfull of people i know personally that do. I know what i spent over the last yr, building sponsons tubes ski's ect.. I make things that is easy for people to set up and build and something that perfoms well. I spend more time on my instructions that ANYONE that builds boats. PERIOD, because i want people to be able to build the boat in very little time.

If it looks like a jae fine.. then a jae looks like a japan boat.. WHO CARES??

If you people had half a clue as to what goes into build a boat you would understand.. The fixtures alone i have to make this thing if you was to go somewhere and have them made would be well over 5000 bucks.. I fugured it up one time i make just over 3.00 an hr building these.. So for someone to say it is to high. I say you build them. You make your own rudder blades.. YOU make your own struts.. YOU make your own cowls.. YOU make your own motor mounts, blocks, collars and what not. YOU have no clue what the hell you are talkin about.

It is easy for people to ***** about pricing until they have to do it themselves. That is why there is VERY few people that build boats anymore, because of the headache and time it takes..

if you don't like it. buy a kit from someone else. and don't complain It's morons like you that havn't the foggiest idea what it takes to mfg and build top notch stuff. go buy a box if you don't like it

chris

Allen... first off.... thanks for sharing pics of the final product.....( yellow/clear, must be popular!) and get ready to hang on tight..... This thread, started on a great tangent and has gone to hell...... I am lucky to have a gen 1 blackbird, and saved my ass off to get it. I also was in on the testing of Chris' efforts with the first gen 2 tries ( in an effort in actuality, to help me dial in my first series boat, after inquiring of me the level of it, Chris drove 2 hours and spent the entire day not only helping me, but anyone else in the group needed it) Unsung, as Larry wrote is an understatement, as yes, Chris is in my district, and i get to see him actually pour sweat over testing his hulls, prototype or not, with his Dad at his side.... NOBODY works harder to achieve the status and support the Wood's contribute to the sport..... Both Chris and Steve have been ground to a nub to even bring it to the public.... which, after inquiring over a year and a half ago, wasnt going to be released at all..... Mission statement page one: "Thanks for your purchase of the Blackbird .21 hydro, I've tried to offer a very competitive .21 boat at an affordable price.... a lot of effort went into the kit to make it as easy and complete as possible...... with complete phone numbers for support included, and dont hesitate to call.... Bottom line, I have built a half dozen Jae's....( Chris actually helped me test mine) all else being equal, as Don stated, the price is easily fair, by the time a fully assembled hull is ready to test..... want a straight tub?.... sponsons?.... see the monumental tooling and jigs Steve has made to actually allow a novice racer like me to assemble a competitive boat right from the box.... Set the motor, 3 servos and paint it. Not brand loyal, district loyal, whatever, I've enjoyed hulls from everywhere.... Stu, Ralph, Bob, among others.. and the people seen their shops know..... post a shop pic once.... thats behind the scenes... to bring people quality racing boats.... How much is your time worth?..... somebody else's time?.... Out the box time?.... The hobby is what you make it... you like to build, build. I dont gain an elite attitude because I have a blackbird..... my hummingbird, and JAE's test right with me..... yeah, I paid the price,awhile back, and will continue to do so, because I actually receive calls inquiring how my testing is going. It's not a 90% kit.... it's a 110% effort, bar none. And, they decided to do it a second time..... it'll show this year. thanks Chris and Steve. Hopefully you'll get to drop one in soon, and enjoy. I know i do. Mike

for the people that have otherwise to say.. i leave it at this.. how much time have you spent on boat testing and design changes.. I can count a handfull of people i know personally that do. I know what i spent over the last yr, building sponsons tubes ski's ect.. I make things that is easy for people to set up and build and something that perfoms well. I spend more time on my instructions that ANYONE that builds boats. PERIOD, because i want people to be able to build the boat in very little time.

If you people had half a clue as to what goes into build a boat you would understand.. The fixtures alone i have to make this thing if you was to go somewhere and have them made would be well over 5000 bucks.. I fugured it up one time i make just over 3.00 an hr building these.. So for someone to say it is to high. I say you build them. You make your own rudder blades.. YOU make your own struts.. YOU make your own cowls.. YOU make your own motor mounts, blocks, collars and what not. YOU have no clue what the hell you are talkin about.

It is easy for people to ***** about pricing until they have to do it themselves. That is why there is VERY few people that build boats anymore, because of the headache and time it takes..

if you don't like it. buy a kit from someone else. and don't complain It's morons like you that havn't the foggiest idea what it takes to mfg and build top notch stuff. go buy a box if you don't like it

chris
Thanks for all You & your Dad do - Chris.

CHris is right. It takes a ton of time to build a nice rigger. Building for other people is also very difficult. On my own boats if something isn't perfect,.. it's OK.. on boats you build for other people there is alot more pressure to make it perfect...

Al Hobbs
And that is the truth Al. I read this thread, because the Blackbird intrigues me, not because I wanted to hijack it. You Larry, just have a chip on your shoulder about 12's, and it's not just this thread. It's in others as well. With now offense to the people you mentioned as being the unsung heroes of the hobby, the true heroes are the ones who patronize the people you mentioned. If it weren't for you and I and everyone else who spend money on this hobby, where would they be. I'm sure Al would attest to that. And Larry, they are all toys; reguardless if they are a .12 or a twin 100. If you don't believe me, ask for your wife's honest opinion. By the way, I love the Blackbirds.

Marty

Hey Allen! Sorry about bringing my argument to your thread. I only started reading it because the Blackbirds are works of art, and I wanted to see what the show was about. Larry PM'd me, and I think we are on the same track now. Anyway, good luck! It looks awesome.Marty

chris
"LIKE"...............cause I can't find the Like button..... :D

Back