NEW BlackBird 21 G2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Allan....nice little boat.... Its nice now that there are so many different hulls running in our district....wasn't long ago all the guys were running Eagles......variety is the spice of life....can't wait to see it in Calgary....

The produucts Chris and Steve put out are second to none and they have the customer support to back it up. I have a Gen 1 Blackbird and the way the boats come, everything is built, you just have to do the little things that everybody in this hobby has their own way of doing. You cannot go wrong with the instruction booklet that is included. When setup just like the instructions say, testing is almost unnecessary. The only change I have made since the very first run, is adding one shim under the rear boom tubes, which the instructions pretty much said I would need. I grew up racing boats just like alot of you on here but have never come across a boat as well built and easy to setup as my Blackbird. As far as the price goes....you can have your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, its a bargain. Does the Gen 2 look similar to a JAE? Yes. Does a JAE look similar to a Japanese boat? Yes. There are not many boats out there that haven't "borrowed" an idea or concept from another boat.

Geez didnt mean to step on any toes , i was just agreein that it looks like a JAE and to me and to maybe some others the price seems a little high, probably cuz you can build a piticular 20 hydro for a hell of a lot less like i have, that has vids and records to back em up. Never said the bird was a bad product, it sounds like its a bad a@$ boat, i just have my opinion about the cost. if you dont like it well u know what you can do with it. If you want to get all butt hurt cuz of what i said, get a doughnut. There just big boy toy's guys "woo saw", Matt !!!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
and i have mine as well.. again.. build a different boat if you don't like it. but don't shoot your mouth off about cost when you havn't A CLUE as to how much it COST TO BUILD BOATS nor what is involved.. especially production of more than 1

as for record trials.. i could care less about records.. it is not my thing and that is why i don't persue them.I think it is great for guys that do it as i know how hard it is to get to x time or x speed. i worry about building a FAST race boat. everyone has there own thing, record trials are not mine.

and look who is using what ever brand boats for records.. these are people that spend HRS on stuff. not slap it together and hope for the best

sorry get get off track allen, if you need help let me know on anything and i will do what i can.

and thank you for the kind words from everyone else

i have said my piece

chris wood

Look guys,.. they are expensive, all of them are expensive. I've been caught up in a similar thread on a crapshooter boat for sale.

The JAE is a great boat and anyone designing a boat would not being doing a great job if they didn't look at the design attributes of the JAE design and consider applying some of it to their designs.

Geez guys,.. toy boats..

Allan,

Your Boat Looks Awesome !!!

As for all the other comments regarding boats and MFG's and stuff.... If ya like to build build .... If you like to buy buy.... If ya like to design your own design your own... and freedom of speech is OK to ... But dont knock other peoples stuff with no clue what your talking about.....

Paul

p.s. If I could afford the G2 I would have one..... I am not smart enough to do the math like Don pointed out earlier.... its probably cheaper to buy it built with everything than to build the way I do.... just seams cheaper cuz i can buy piece by piece instead of in one lump sum.

Hi Chris First time in race. ;) The weather is cloud/sunny , 13C temp and calm wind. I got winner first place. I am very happy with it( really fast) but I found out that Chris Wood 's turn fin curve too much because quick corner ( look like snake ride) and more sensitive " Oversteer or Understeer" (just turn less 1/4 right hand on my radio. I want to know feedback to him <_< Need improve turn fin!!! Can you send another " UPGRADE" new less curve turn fin to my address? :eek: Al Hobbs and Rob D already witness my boat so can't believe it too fast

IMG00436-20110507-1319 (2).jpg

Hi Chris First time in race. ;) The weather is cloud/sunny , 13C temp and calm wind. I got winner first place. I am very happy with it( really fast) but I found out that Chris Wood 's turn fin curve too much because quick corner ( look like snake ride) and more sensitive " Oversteer or Understeer" (just turn less 1/4 right hand on my radio. I want to know feedback to him <_< Need improve turn fin!!! Can you send another " UPGRADE" new less curve turn fin to my address? :eek: Al Hobbs and Rob D already witness my boat so can't believe it too fast
Allan,

Are you sure you need another fin for your boat? There's way more to how a rigger turns than the amount of curve you have in the fin. Take a look at the rudder servo, placement forward and back of the fin, ride angle as apposed to angle of the fin. CG and placement of radio gear are also places to look. From what I seen of Chris's boat at Hobart last year, there's no issue with the fin. You have the best built .21 hydro kit available including custom hardware. Work with it...

Ron

Show pictures of turn fin " Too Much" I believe that first verson turn fin from old BlackBird 21 that's why! I still wait for Chris. will tell answer Reason New "G2" Verson rigger need improve turn fin let me know " feedback"

Guys,

Allan is just not used to a great turning boat.

Allan turn the rudder input down, it will still turn.

The turnfin is just faster than you are used to.

Looks Like A Winner,

Mark Sholund

Guys,

Looks Like A Winner,

Mark Sholund
I didn't touch cut rudder but Chris and Steve already cut set up measure strut w/rudder assembly thats why!

Guys,

Looks Like A Winner,

Mark Sholund
I didn't touch cut rudder but Chris and Steve already cut set up measure strut w/rudder assembly thats why!
alan,it's like that on purpose. you were warned it will turn with very,very, minimal rudder input. it will turn on a dime and give you 11 cents change. leave it alone.cut your travel down. notice how it accerlates through the turn!

Guys,

Looks Like A Winner,

Mark Sholund
alan,it's like that on purpose. you were warned it will turn with very,very, minimal rudder input. it will turn on a dime and give you 11 cents change. leave it alone.cut your travel down. notice how it accerlates through the turn!
Hi Steve I am understand about it. Would you send another " less curve turn fin to my address or What price? I will run test for compare fins Let me know

Guys,

Looks Like A Winner,

Mark Sholund
Hi Steve I am understand about it. Would you send another " less curve turn fin to my address or What? I will run test for compare fins Let me know
well, if the boat's too fast for you, and you want to go slower, you will have to talk to chris,as he is the turn fin man

Guys,

Looks Like A Winner,

Mark Sholund
Hi Steve I am understand about it. Would you send another " less curve turn fin to my address or What? I will run test for compare fins Let me know
well, if the boat's too fast for you, and you want to go slower, you will have to talk to chris,as he is the turn fin man
I had experince with SGX 21 good handling corner too fast another I can tell compare Big differnet with new BB21 G2 WOW " quick Sharp corner ( look like "GLUE" Stable no fly ) I must learn down speed and turn trim on dime with it.

allen

you don't want a different turn fin.. sorry i wasn't on here all weekend..

first off congrats on the win and i hope the boat is running as well as it should

now the turn fin.. 1st take the fin move it all the way back. second, you use m11 radios correct? go to the trim in the menu i forget what it is called.. but you can SLOW DOWN THE RUDDER OFF OF CENTER POINT..

i don't have time to make new fins right now and quit honestly why would you want the boat to turn slow? i warn everyone in the instructions THE BOAT TURNS LIKE NO OTHER..

just slow down the rudder trim off of center point. move the fin ALL THE WAY BACK. and let me know if that helps

Allan,

Congratulations on your win. You boat looks great. There is nothing wrong with your turn fin, and it is not a left over from the Original Blackbird. The turn fin on the G2 is beefed up to handle the force put on it in the turns. You need very little rudder input to turn an Original Blackbird, and probably less on the G2.. Dial out nearly all the servo throw on your radio, and if you can, slow down the servo speed.

Larry

I watched Allan race on Saturday. Allan tends to correct his driving with some left rudder. The boat road up on the turnfin, then he would give it right and it would dart to the right, so he would feed in some left to correct, riding up on the turn fin again.

All of this going on in between other boats and running in the 60 mph range.

Al Hobbs

Back