My TS3 experience!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I recieved my prop From Mark yesterday,,, and WOW that thing shines!!!!!! Can't waite to get it on and get her back in the water!!!! Just waiting on a few parts and she is back to life!!! Thanks Mark!!!!!!
Hey Wow!!! you don't want a shiney prop! :p

Well I recieved my prop From Mark yesterday,,, and WOW that thing shines!!!!!! Can't waite to get it on and get her back in the water!!!! Just waiting on a few parts and she is back to life!!! Thanks Mark!!!!!!
Hey Wow!!! you don't want a shiney prop! :p
Well shiney or not it sure is a lot better looking then the one I did up :eek: I was to affraid to get the dremel and did some hand sanding instead... So I left it up to the pro!!!!! It is a 637 though Jerry, I'm going to listen to you on that one!!!!

I found that the dremel is not necessary on such a small prop. A small file and tri-folded wet&dry strips do the job pretty well. The Octura X637 is a well casted prop,

they usually come to you fairly thin to begin with and theres a well defined outer line cast into the final product. Use that line as your outer limit and thin the back of the prop only to a sharp outer edge. Expect to spend at least 3 hrs working the thing.

Another thing not well known is that the TT propshaft is metric and slightly smaller than 3/16". So boring the flash in the props shaft hole is not a good idea. Sometimes that little bit of flash in the bore is needed to keep the fit snug. I mentioned this to Mark a while back so I'm sure he knows.

Jerry,

Kevin is all set with his X-637 propeller, it has a nice finish on it. :D

Tip:If you want to tighten up the bore of the propeller just wrap a little

teflon tape around the shaft first before you tighten down the propeller.

Kevin let us know how your set up works now? I just received your X-640 today.

Keep Testing,

Mark Sholund

I found that the dremel is not necessary on such a small prop. A small file and tri-folded wet&dry strips do the job pretty well. The Octura X637 is a well casted prop,

they usually come to you fairly thin to begin with and theres a well defined outer line cast into the final product. Use that line as your outer limit and thin the back of the prop only to a sharp outer edge. Expect to spend at least 3 hrs working the thing.

Another thing not well known is that the TT propshaft is metric and slightly smaller than 3/16". So boring the flash in the props shaft hole is not a good idea. Sometimes that little bit of flash in the bore is needed to keep the fit snug. I mentioned this to Mark a while back so I'm sure he knows.
3 hrs... Thats a long time but I suppose it keeps things under control doing them that way!!! Jerry want kinds hulls do you run with your TT contraptions? :D Thanks Jerry.

Jerry,

Kevin is all set with his X-637 propeller, it has a nice finish on it. :D

Tip:If you want to tighten up the bore of the propeller just wrap a little

teflon tape around the shaft first before you tighten down the propeller.

Kevin let us know how your set up works now? I just received your X-640 today.

Keep Testing,

Mark Sholund
Nice finish... It looks completly different!!!!! That thing is awsome!!!! Mark you are the man, Can't waite to get her back in the water :D Thanks Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made two runs this weekend...

Boat ran good, however after the two runs

a horizontal stress crack had developed at the transom.

Good thing they put the drain plugs on both sponsons.

Water was flooding the sponsons. Hope this is an isolated

occurance and the workmanship on other hulls are OK.

kevins is also showing signs of stress cracking at the transom...keep an eye on that kevo....

ac

kevins is also showing signs of stress cracking at the transom...keep an eye on that kevo....

ac
Seems like I heard of a similar problem with a previous American design/foreign manufactured hull in the past. Always seems to be in the transom area too.

Thats too bad too cause one of my clubs older members has one of Jerry's prototype WOF TS3's. Its a very capable mod engine boat and is well mannered in all areas.

yep,,,sure is a shame...does handle very well from what ive seen....correct me if im wrong,, as far as i know,,,,that crack was making itself known in the hulls jd and grim ran before production had started...i believe they had thiers braced up back there... so if it was a known issue,,,,,what happen???? i stated this before and ill state it again.... hulls made by the thousands will be different than the boats jd and grim ran off the production line,,,,but not in production...dont care who makes em or by how many...quality control in china sucks....better grab the bull by the horns now and address the situation before it gets to numbers you cant control...

that my2¢

yep,,,sure is a shame...does handle very well from what ive seen....correct me if im wrong,, as far as i know,,,,that crack was making itself known in the hulls jd and grim ran before production had started...i believe they had thiers braced up back there... so if it was a known issue,,,,,what happen???? i stated this before and ill state it again.... hulls made by the thousands will be different than the boats jd and grim ran off the production line,,,,but not in production...dont care who makes em or by how many...quality control in china sucks....better grab the bull by the horns now and address the situation before it gets to numbers you cant control...

that my2¢
Well I believe the hulls you mentioned and their builder/owners were WOF hulls. There would not have been a transom problem in the prototypes, just the fiberglass production models. Its very cool that these guys provide these hulls to the general public,, they really don't have to do that as you well know.

I would have rather paid a little more with more care and strengthening in the production models. I haven't bought one yet but this kind of problem is sure to hold me up for a while.

Wow.. tons of speculation here..

Here is the scoop on the TS-3.. I realy don’t like to talk development but would like to get everybody up to speed.

ONLY ONE.. WOF TS3 was ever built.. (I never drove it.. Before my time here)

The boat was sent to the MFG to have molds pulled off of it (Before my time here)

The sample boat came in, in glass (I dove it). I did not like it

I cut off the sponsons and designed new ones for it

I also cut off the transom and redesigned the area around it (there were some strength issues with the old design)

At this time I also began testing transom setbacks (might be the mods you saw) I still have one of those boats and it’s my FE TS-3

The boat (updated) was again sent to the MFG and molds were made

The boat that I ran at the 2007 and 2008 tunnel camps was and is off the new molds. So was Russ’s and Dunny’s.

I still have mine..

We held the project back

The boat was later set for a late 2010 release.

As for cracking.. yep its tough to control… Im not a fan of smooth side construction but its hard to deny the looks.

BUT.. YOU are our customers and WE DO listen.. Although I have not broken my boat off the new molds I will look very close at what’s going on.

Thanks

Grimracer

with Grim on top of it, im sure it will get taken care of asap. As we all know, dude is one hell of a friend to us all, and he does infact care what WE all think of the products...

Well........ My 2cents.... My TS2 had the same exact problem, in the same **** spot..... I was warned about this but I can't say it's not my fault.... I have the boat set up with a verry strong little TT and not knowing much about setup have had 2 hard crashes......... All my setup has come from expirementing and long thoughts and youtube believe it or not... And most of all a few fine guys on this site!!!! Thanks guys!!!

One rollover and one flight to the sky and I must say they were hard crashes..... But with that said I still expect something to take a little abuse knowing the manufacturer knows these boats will do 50mph and guys will put mod engines on them.... After all they come with a recomendation for a engine not a must use engine..... I know next year I will step up to a different hull and would like to go further into the boating world... So I just may fix this one up and use it as a stock boat seems how I already paid for it and can only run one boat at a time....

Know as far as the fix to this.... I will do just like a cracked piece of metal, groove it and weld her back toghether.... Seasons almost over and don't have the time to send her in to get looked at....

Now JD and Grimm hell of a hull as far as I'm concerned... Not really dissapointed at all the hull will get guys into the sport and get them on to bigger things... Just like the other thread about our dying sport we need hulls like this to bring in newbs like me... Man that hull handles some chop!!!!!

Anyways thanks all for helping me on this build and a HUGE THANKS to ALDEN COST for all the help you have given me and Jerry W. for evolving the TT!!!

PS Grimm did you watch the last video??? How did she look????

Made two runs this weekend...

Boat ran good, however after the two runs

a horizontal stress crack had developed at the transom.

Good thing they put the drain plugs on both sponsons.

Water was flooding the sponsons. Hope this is an isolated

occurance and the workmanship on other hulls are OK.
Just thought about something.... Maybe we could post pictures and compare the cracks and see how similar the two are....

Also on another note One of the wood supports in the tunnel were loose and not in place before I ever started working on the hull.... I couldn't get it out so I got a rattle hull.....

A little bit more feedback for you Aquacraft fellas.......

Ran TS3 after fixing the transom cracks. Poured epoxy inside as well as patching the cracks on the outside.

Boat ran real well !!! However during the trimming process, flipped in the right hand turn. Stayed upside down for about five min. Saw water in the radio box, not much (dropplets) on the clear cover that I have. Also after pulling the pluggs, water had gotten into the hull again.

At home did the bathtub deal.... Bubbles from the top seam (4 places) of the radio box. Bubbles fronm the cowl holddown pegs (both pins), from a pin hole on the top right sponson corner. Even from the rubber plug its self?

I THINK I GOT it ALL !!!

When I put the radio box together, I sealed the vertical joints and the bottom with thinned out epoxy. Should have done the to seam also !!

Hope people don't think I'm bad mouthing the TS3....

I like the boat very much !!

Maybe a little more than the VS1 (but not much).

Just wanted to put problems out there so people can watch out for them...

Well........ My 2cents.... My TS2 had the same exact problem, in the same **** spot..... I was warned about this but I can't say it's not my fault.... I have the boat set up with a verry strong little TT and not knowing much about setup have had 2 hard crashes......... All my setup has come from expirementing and long thoughts and youtube believe it or not... And most of all a few fine guys on this site!!!! Thanks guys!!!

One rollover and one flight to the sky and I must say they were hard crashes..... But with that said I still expect something to take a little abuse knowing the manufacturer knows these boats will do 50mph and guys will put mod engines on them.... After all they come with a recomendation for a engine not a must use engine..... I know next year I will step up to a different hull and would like to go further into the boating world... So I just may fix this one up and use it as a stock boat seems how I already paid for it and can only run one boat at a time....

Know as far as the fix to this.... I will do just like a cracked piece of metal, groove it and weld her back toghether.... Seasons almost over and don't have the time to send her in to get looked at....

Now JD and Grimm hell of a hull as far as I'm concerned... Not really dissapointed at all the hull will get guys into the sport and get them on to bigger things... Just like the other thread about our dying sport we need hulls like this to bring in newbs like me... Man that hull handles some chop!!!!!

Anyways thanks all for helping me on this build and a HUGE THANKS to ALDEN COST for all the help you have given me and Jerry W. for evolving the TT!!!

PS Grimm did you watch the last video??? How did she look????
I'm not Grim but I did see the vids. Looks like its getting there with the rpm's, now just refine the set-up and trimming and you'll have a contender. Well Done Alden! Your giving me a Big Break,, much more than you know :)

Well........... Got out tonight and first...... Lost a solder conection.... But it was the left side steering so ran her with the right side only and had some decent runs!!! Speed was faster and when she came on pipe... WOW did she ever take off:)

I put 5oz of weight on her and she didn't like it, just couldn't get the rpm's up so stuck with 3oz until I have more time to tinker with her... I could be wrong but with the extra weight she would only come alive in the corners and not sure if that was my high speed adjustment or pulling the extra weight off that made her come back to life... It seems like I might be sailing the nose just a bit high but not sure... The only other change made was a balanced and sharpened X637 by Mark. Anyone have any thoughs on putting the weight behind the radio box???

Also tried some high speed cornering and wow got me a bit nervous.... But Alden you where right,,, just slowly lay into her and she cornered just fine:) I will try to get some video again tomorrow if I can but not sure if I will have a wing man.... Wish I had tonights runs on vid cause she was way faster then the other days runs and on pipe!!!

Thanks guys for your help, Kevin...

Back