ML Boatworks KL350 Kneeler Hydroplane---Build starts Post #50, Videos Post #96

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Henkie and Jerry.

Thanks Don, Are you related to Todd Fleury by chance? Mike

Thanks Mark!

Well, its getting real close now! I am waiting on an engine starter, glo plugs, 50% fuel, glo plug starter, fuel tubing, fuel tank, radio box tape, radio box boots, and a few other odds and ends. I had no nitro starting gear, so had to order all of it new to test this boat! Things left to do, are finish up securing the throttle tube, secure the radio box, add the turn fin, add an on/ off switch...and, not sure if there is much else! Here are some current pics. Mike

20130612_070834_zps10e8b7a1.jpg

20130612_070840_zps30565f29.jpg

20130612_070847_zps6226a072.jpg

20130610_070656_zpsdf0feab3.jpg

are going testing soon hope so looking forward on seeing the video ,by the way that boat is SICK great job

regards donf

Just finished the radio box and mount tonight. Only things left are mounting the fuel tank, sharpening the skeg, mounting the turn fin, and waiting on my starter and fuel, and it should be ready. Probably run it next week!

Woke up early today, and decided to go out in the garage and work on the turn fin before I headed out to work. Got it mounted! The radio box is mounted now as well. That mounting turned out well too. I added some 1/8" 6 ply plates to the bottom of the radio box, then put pine blocks down to the floor with threaded inserts so the box is elevated above the floor so if fuel gets under there, it will not stay wet and stain, and its removable, so when I am ready to convert this to FE, I can do so easily! Looks like everything will arrive other than the starter today. I am gonna ride up to Wilson, NC and get a cheap sulivan starter so I can run this boat this weekend, I cannot hardly wait!

I think the only things left to do now, are sharpen the skeg, and figure out how to mount the fuel tank, skuff the ride surfaces..everything else I think is ready! Mike

Oh, and the turn fin is a JAE 21 fin that Gary Pruse had made me a while back and never got used. I cut it down to an overall height of 2.5", so around 1.75" is below the ride pad. Turn fin is gonna be critical with this boat, so I suspect it might totally change by the time this is over. I wanted to start out big, so it would help hold the boat in line better in case its needed.

20130614_062714_zpsa8b09d97.jpg

20130614_062703_zps70cdcc12.jpg

20130614_062655_zps6569d2e6.jpg

20130614_062640_zps53845466.jpg

20130614_062601_zpsb13995a8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike maybe it's just me or maybe it's the pictures but the hull looks huge for a .21 how long is it??

Hey Bryan, its 35" and this is the engine everyone has been running on this style hull for years.

Morning tests have been going great. Out at the pond right now. 42x55 has the boat running awesome. I changed turn fins since yesterday and WOW, it doesnt do stupid stuff or spin out. Been holding it wide open in the wide end of my pond. Turn fin is tiny and that is how it needs to be. Its literally a scaled down fin of the full size hulls...and it works! Hull is also stable, shows no signs of blow off and airs the sponsons about 1/2" to 1"....I am trying to get ahold of my buddy to come video it, but i think he is at the beach this weekend, so, I may set up a tripod cause I really want to share this thing with you guys! The OS outboard has me enjoying nitro again too. If I had run these 5 years ago, I may never have given it up! More info soon! Testing lots of props. Mike

Alright, I got some videos. I had to richen the engine up as I was starting to loose glow plugs, so it is very boggy in these videos. I am pretty certain about everyone out there can tune a nitro engine better than me, so its no biggie. I ran a couple more times after these videos leaning it a little each time and it was getting faster and faster. None the less, the big deal, is the boat turns without hooking! This is a SMALL pond, the right side of the pond is probably barely the width of a bouyed pond, so I had to do what I can. The left side, well, you can see I am cutting it close, and at the end of the first video, actually running the boat up on the grass...this wasnt the first time, and probably will not be the last. Anyways, the boat works, and works well. I am still messing with props, and actually working on trimming up the motor, which I did 2 runs after this video, and it started really airing it out better, so there is LOTS of tuning possiblities left! Enjoy the videos. Mike

Thanks Bryan. I will be back at it tomorrow. Gonna remove one of the head shims and tip cup the prop per Dicks orders! He said it sounded like a lot of prop slip. He also suggested I try lowering the outboard a touch to see if that cleans up some of the slipage too. I will report back! Mike

Haha, i know! I will be making one like u taught me...with the foam ball head, wood arms and if i remember...foam body?

Back