ML Boatworks KL350 Kneeler Hydroplane---Build starts Post #50, Videos Post #96

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Please note:

POST #50 STARTS THE BUILD THREAD/ INSTRUCTION MANUAL

VIDEO UP! POST #96!

PLEASE VIEW ALL PHOTOS FROM THIS THREAD ON MY NEW SMUGMUG (8/23/17). PHOTOBUCKET DESTROYED ALL MY PICS!

https://mlboatworksrc.smugmug.com/KL350-Instructions/

20130616_121957_zps1a24ae5a-M.jpg

Well, after discussing the redesigns Dick Loab did to the original kneeler I offered a long, long time ago, he feels the problems of spinning out are resolved, and we have the baseline data we need to move forward with the redesign. I will be offering this as a frame up kit for the sponsons, and a hybrid foam/ frame up for the center section. This is also based of the J Sport Hydro class, and when finished, should resemble the Spirit of Qatar hull you see pictured below. I am also going to work on a round bow kneeler as well. I am hoping this boat will help the class move forward as from what I understand there are still quite a few racers that want to run these. Mike

MLKneelerl.jpg

qatarkneeler.jpg

juni.jpg

ashspenda..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one of the issues, but this new hull will allow for just one turn fin mounted at the sponson transom, plus, it just looks cool with the cockpit pushed all the way forward. Should be pretty neat looking once finished.

I will be offering a drop in radio box that is either sized for nitro, or FE. I may actually do one up for myself with a nitro motor...and I have not purchased a nitro item in over 4 years!! That is almost scary to say!

If anyone has a source for a thin, bendable lexan, I would love to hear about it. I will offer the kit with a ply template for the proper fitment of the front windshield area, and will offer the lexan too if I can find a source. Mike

If anyone has a source for a thin, bendable lexan, I would love to hear about it. I will offer the kit with a ply template for the proper fitment of the front windshield area, and will offer the lexan too if I can find a source. Mike
Mike , Uvex is what we used to use . not sure if available but motocross goggle lenses come to mind as well .

Rodney, I am liking what I see on that lexan website! Great post!!!

Thanks Slide. I got the center section parts done...sponsons next! Mike

Here is the center section parts. I decided just to make it a full frame up kit. The frames, and 1/8"x1/8" basswood sticks are all that is needed! Mike

kneelercenter.jpg

35", which is actually 1/4 scale from what I have heard in the past. Sounds like you want a little smaller hull?

Mike

Actually I would like it quite a bit bigger for a gas motor. Somewhere in the 48" range. Would be a great boat to play with and possibly a club class.

Rick

I actually built a 52" kneeler a few years ago. Someone wanted it for a gas outboard. I heard it is still around down in Florida maybe? That would be a trip to see it run! Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually built a 52" kneeler a few years ago. Someone wanted it for a gas outboard. I heard it is still around down in Florida maybe? That would be a trip to see it run! Mike
Funny that you mention that, we have it! We're trying to get it built, as realistic as possible. We have to get it the servos and everything for, and get it refinished.

-Brandon

Thats right Brandon, Dick I think told me you had it! I could not remember the name of the person that ended up with it. Its freakin huge! I have pics somewhere of the build, but I would have to search. Here are some 3D images of the center section of the new kneeler.

KL35-center1.jpg

KL35-center2.jpg

KL35-center3.jpg

Back