ML Boatworks GSX480 Gas Sport Hydroplane prototype build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so everyone knows, I just set up the GSX480 as a $20 off kit. The complete kit can be had till 5/1/14 for $250 plus shipping..normal price $270 plus shipping.

Jeff,

I built that hull and gave it to a friend who races to do testing on. He painted and rigged it. I don't really own it anymore. I did ask him about the trade and he was inclined to keep the gas sport for now. Thanks tho! Mike

Here is the GSX-480 gas sport hydro stand kit, part number SHS-480. I will it have on my website soon:

SHS-480_zps30e3ff71.jpg

SHS-480-andhull_zpsd2071c17.jpg

Just wanted to let everyone know that all ML cowlings are now white gel coated. This includes the GSX480 cowl. Also, I have the GSX480 gas sport hydroplane kit on sale till 5/1/14. Just trying to get some of them out there! Mike

20140330_171042_LLS_zps109886a8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Polyester resin, with chop mat to stop print through, then layers of 6 ounce cloth. My old cowlings were polyester cloth with no gel. This left pinholes, just like epoxy does. This is a huge upgrade over the old cowlings, and there is was NO additional cost put on the buyer. I have discussed epoxy cowlings with other people that have a long history in composites, and its just not necessary in the RC boating world. Its great on certain things like building hulls, but for a cowling like this, not needed. If epoxy cowlings were made, I would have to triple my sale price...No one would pay for that.

Take care, Mike

Just got this pick from one of my customers. Sure turned out nice! This is the second completed hull to my knowledge, but a lot of other ones are out there being built!

Mike

DSCN3073_zps4364a7d2.jpg

Just got this pick from one of my customers. Sure turned out nice! This is the second completed hull to my knowledge, but a lot of other ones are out there being built!

Mike

DSCN3073_zps4364a7d2.jpg
mike,

great looking boat, thank you for posting photo.

do you have any more pics showing cowl - hatch detail and inside layout ?

dave w.

Mike,

For a new hull right out of the paint shop, Teddy's boat got better with every run. He said the boat " drove like a dream". He never tested it before he raced it.

Bert Dygert

Bert, Thanks for letting everyone know. I really appreciate you guys giving your feedback, and that the feedback has been really good so far. The gas sport class, to me, is going to be the absolute toughest to get racers to try out one of my boats. There are so many big name, highly competitve gas sports out there that the newcomer hulls have to prove they belong! I was just talking to Samuel and he said Teddy was dealing with engine issues over the weekend as well. I am sure that was frustrating!

Also, the "baby bird" is coming along. I have an FE center section at the house, and the nitro center section design is done. I hope to finish the sponsons soon.

20140516_064431Medium_zps8b00b2e5.jpg

Hey Gilbert, I hope you have been doing well.

It is a developmental Sport 40 hull, that will ultimately be called the GSX380. Its 38" in length, and will be very similar to the GSX480 gas sport hull but with changes to make it legal in the sport 40 class. It is also the first sport hydroplane I will ever have offered that will be available in dedicated FE and Nitro versions. I am making the boat where the frames for each model suit the power plant. It is also the first kit that I am doing with a 3d autocad drawn instruction manual. This boat will not be available for a few months as I will be doing FE testing, and a couple others will be doing nitro testing. The FE center in the pictures has a Neu 1527 motor laying in there, and (4) 3300mah 6s Dinogy 65c lipos. Both kits also include 5" engine rails built into the hull. Also, the cowling shape in the image below is not final by any means. I will be hand shaping the cowling, and I may do something totally different by the time it is over with!

GSX380_zps7605173a.jpg

Back