ML Boatworks KL350 Kneeler Hydroplane---Build starts Post #50, Videos Post #96

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, testing continued today, and the boat did very well. I was able to run wide open into a 15-20 mph headwind with 3-5" waves. I also learned I need a new piston and liner for my aircooled engine. Took it apart to find a lot of wear. Im thinking this will get the speeds up to were they should be with this boat. I will keep feeding everyone updates as I make progress! Mike

I just wanna say you're doing a great job for the modelboatcommunity and us outboard guys. I really love it and when you got it tuned right in i think it's gonna be a blast.

Thank you Hendrik, very kind. I will say this tho, a lot of the Intlwaters community has contributed to the designs I offer. They were kind enough to offer advise and personal info gained through years of hard work, and that has really accelerated my learning process. Without them, cool things would not be happening! And more new kits are being designed right now! So stay tuned! Mike

Not to let this slip to far...I just received a propeller care package from Buddy Lowe with like 8 different props to try on the kneeler, so I hope to get back out there this week and do more testing. So far I am really pleased with the hull. I ran an x437 last week and the motor was finally getting on pipe, and the 3 blade prop really locked the boat in while turning...really nice! I will have more info soon, and hopefully some good videos! Mike

Just got back from the pond, it was rough and blowing 10-15mph, but with the new prop choices I found one that screams! Finally got the motor on the pipe and the boat is strolling. I cannot believe how well it is handling the wind and waves. You can run it wide open into the waves/wind and it just goes. Showing no signs or blowover and no extra weight was needed. Really happy with this thing and the OS engine has got me excited about nitro again! I will try and get more video soon.

Here are some more crappy videos. The first shows the boat turning around the wide end of the pond, and the other video is showing its ability to handle tight turns without spinning out. Maybe one day I can get someone down to the pond with me that can actually record zooming in and out so you can tell more. None the less, after 4 years of struggling to get a kneeler that turned properly without lots of bandages and odd turn fins, this thing works, and it works well...and its set up like a full size hull, which is interesting that the scale down seems to work really well. Enjoy,MIke

http://youtu.be/Iy5SR7npaog

http://youtu.be/M8vjXNEUWok

Last edited by a moderator:
I just released a new Version 2 KL350 kit, called...the KL350v2. This kit shaves off extra weight from the original KL350 kit. I have also put an end to the KL320 kit as it was only ever made to remove the extra weight of the KL350. the KL350v2 is available with Nitro, or FE radio boxes. The KL500 50" kneeler is also still available! Thanks ,Mike

Since Photobucket destroyed everyones pics, I have them all moved over to my new Smugmug account:

https://mlboatworksrc.smugmug.com/KL350-Instructions/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back