Miss Vegas Super MOD Build Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First coat of paint on the cowling. Looks good. This is my first time using KlassKote paints I'm definitely impressed. This stuff seems indestructable.

IMAG0012-3.jpg

IMAG0015-4.jpg

Here's my first shot at some sponson mods for my MV. I went with a design that I know works on other boats. Not sure what it'll do on a vegas but I'm hoping it'll make it handle more like my fast boats.
IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Any thoughts?
I got a chance to meet and listen to Rod Geraghty teach me some basics on boat design a week ago. He said that flat surfaces are better than curved on anything that contacts the water (including sponson bottoms). Jerry Dunlap is one of Rod's longtime friends.... Guppy's sponson bottoms are just what Rod (and I suspect Jerry did) would tell him to do. Curves create drag... and there is a couple threads on this here at IW but I dont want to stir up a hornet's nest again - so PM if you want to read the threads for yourself. Just thought I'd give you some food for thought.

todd

I got a chance to meet and listen to Rod Geraghty teach me some basics on boat design a week ago. He said that flat surfaces are better than curved on anything that contacts the water (including sponson bottoms). Jerry Dunlap is one of Rod's longtime friends.... Guppy's sponson bottoms are just what Rod (and I suspect Jerry did) would tell him to do. Curves create drag... and there is a couple threads on this here at IW but I dont want to stir up a hornet's nest again - so PM if you want to read the threads for yourself. Just thought I'd give you some food for thought.
todd
Todd,

I totaly agree with that theory. I'm not sure you can tell in the pictures, but the only curved surface is the surface that matches the existing sponson bottom. All my new wet surfaces are printed perfectly straight, but not necessarly flat. I did design a slight dihedral which promotes stability and helps in handling rougher water conditions. I also designed it with an offset design to add control in the corners. In addition I wanted to add the steps to help introduce air under the aft section of the sponsons. And finally I tried to make this design as low profile as possible so as to not affect the ride attitude and possibly cause violent blow overs.

Travis

todd
Todd,

I totaly agree with that theory. I'm not sure you can tell in the pictures, but the only curved surface is the surface that matches the existing sponson bottom. All my new wet surfaces are printed perfectly straight, but not necessarly flat. I did design a slight dihedral which promotes stability and helps in handling rougher water conditions. I also designed it with an offset design to add control in the corners. In addition I wanted to add the steps to help introduce air under the aft section of the sponsons. And finally I tried to make this design as low profile as possible so as to not affect the ride attitude and possibly cause violent blow overs.

Travis
Cool.... I see in your pics what you mean (The only curve is on the bottom of the "tips" of the sponson). I'm sure you are going to have a heck of a boat and want to thank you for sharing your build.

Cool.... I see in your pics what you mean (The only curve is on the bottom of the "tips" of the sponson). I'm sure you are going to have a heck of a boat and want to thank you for sharing your build.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure this boat will be any faster or better than any stock vegas. But I have put my own twist in to it. I really enjoy building these boats. And I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Travis

looking real good Travis

I got mine all tore down and revamping her and new paint for next season. I'm surprised she stayed together considering the stringers were all broke loose.

winterbuildoff08001-1.jpg
winterbuildoff08002.jpg
winterbuildoff08003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boat looks great do you have any measurements? I have a vegas and want to do mine just like that.

thanks

Boat looks great do you have any measurements? I have a vegas and want to do mine just like that.thanks
I don't have any dimensions for the cowling. Most of what I did was just by hand. I'd be glad to help you out in any way I can. Feel free to ask any questions.

you got this thing done yet??, want to see some pic's of the finished boat!!Thanks
I've been really busy with work and I had two deaths in the family in the past two weeks. I haven't had much time to work on this project. I'm painting it with the base colors right now. I need to design my graphics and order my stencils.

sorry for your loss bro good to see you getting this thing done AGAIN lol cant wait to see it run, GUPPY!!!!!!!!!! looks good bro ill be back from cali this coming weekend, cant wait to get on water rain or not!!!!!!

my condolences Travis hope everything goes well for the future.

well Jeremy hopefully you will make it on Sunday at Wauhop Pumpkin Scrambles.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for your loss bro good to see you getting this thing done AGAIN lol cant wait to see it run, GUPPY!!!!!!!!!! looks good bro ill be back from cali this coming weekend, cant wait to get on water rain or not!!!!!!
Thanks for the support guys. it's been a rough couple of weeks. Life is precious cherish it. I had to order some more base coat paint. I need one last coat on the hull then I'm ready for graphics.

Travis

hey bro hows it going on your project here? i know ya been busy and all just checkin in on it!

hey bro hows it going on your project here? i know ya been busy and all just checkin in on it!

I'm working on the base paint right now. I'm kinda tossing around ideas. I'm shooting my second color today. but i think I may have to go back and revise my design. I'm not sure how well it's coming out.

Here's a pic of todays work. Not sure if it's gonna stay this way. I was planning to trim out the exhaust exit and the transom with black.

DSC00512.jpg

Back