Japanese riggers, different design?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finne

I am sure you have noticed how different the japanese riggers are in design, with their centermounted engine, wider booms and probably much further back cg.

Has anyone of you tried this design?

What's the main difference?

From what I've seen I get the impression they somehow manage to race those creations in quite a rough sea.

Would be interesting to hear if anyne has had any experience with these.

//Finne

fascinated by lightningfast riggers, but cursed by rough saltwater shorelines.

I've never seen them run but have seen them posted on Japanese web sites. A friend said that they race them in straight lines like dragsters, don't know if it's true though.

I've got a CD video of their record trials, I think that's what they're doing, not quite sure. They use a wider stance on their 'riggers for more stability in the rough water that they run in. The wider stance gives less side-to-side rocking of the hull. This theory is used on the Hammerhead .12 boats.

From trying to figure what they do with their boats, it appears that they go straight out ahead of the timing device (almost like a half-mill) and run 2 fast laps, no warm-up running. Their course looks smaller than what we use also.

I got the link to this post from Tom Moorehouse. It slipped past me without giving me a chance to post. I have written extensively about racing in Japan in this forum. I don't know if any of the threads are still available, but I can tell you that the time trials that Ron was mentioning are a very small part of the Japanese racing scene. The heat racing is the biggest. I now live in the U.S. but I was a member and a national level racer of the JMPBA in Japan for the last 15 or so years. Yes, there riggers are quite different than the styles used in the U.S. I did find through trial and error that different rules and water conditions are the main factor in this difference. The JMPBA uses NAMBA course regulations for heat racing with several ammendments. The Japanese seem to be less concerned about lane rules and passing. The heat races tend to be more of a battle than a race sometimes. To compete in this style of racing handling is much more important than top speed.

The S body type rigger that is mentioned earlier in this thread is a one off. Nobody but Toru Nakaya has ever raced or built this type of rigger. It never took off as a real successful design. It does look cool though.

Off the shelf american designs never worked well over there. I have been in several arguements with other rigger racers over this subject in this forum for the past few years. American riggers in Japan weren't able to stay on the course in heavy traffic reguardless of the set up. I think this is why most Japanese use a wider sponson stance, and longer riggers in general. I would estimate that the average .21 rigger in Japan would easily be mistaken for a .45 rigger in the states.

I will try to post a pic of my .21 rigger running in the 2004 nationals. It will show you the water conditions that I had to design with consideration for.

http://www.jmpba.com/JM040919/DSC07998.JPG

Hammer

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammer that's a cool picture...is that a racing requirement in Japan, to be able to split the boys like that????[the rigger in the back ground]...just kidding...LOL...do you have a picture of the "S" rigger you mention...i've never seen it before...later, Dean :)

I'm sorry! It is probably in the archieves of the JMPBA web site, but I can't seem to find it.

Here is a picture of the "S" bend rigger in question.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammer,

good picture and very good information. On your picture of your rigger, what's that skeg looking part up on the nose for??

On your picture of your rigger, what's that skeg looking part up on the nose for??
I believe thats where the number goes. Seems like I remember Hammer saying the boats over there have to numbered.

It's not my rigger. I downloaded the picture off of one of the Japanese web sites because I thought it looked cool. I like ideas that are "outside the box". I think there was a video of it running in a race also but I didn't download it. It seemed to run OK in the video.

David

dwb2620 said:
It's not my rigger. I downloaded the picture off of one of the Japanese web sites because I thought it looked cool. I like ideas that are "outside the box". I think there was a video of it running  in a race also but I didn't download it. It seemed to run OK in the video.
David

95241[/snapback]

Do you have the ULR for that site still David or perhaps a link???thanks, Dean

6cuda6,

I'll have to search my bookmarks to see if I bookmarked it. It has been awhile since surfed their websites.

David

Hammer,
good picture and very good information.  On your picture of your rigger, what's that skeg looking part up on the nose for??

95216[/snapback]

THAT 'FLAG' LOOKING THING IS TO BREAK THE TIMING BEAM AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, ALSO USED FOR A TIME IN FULL SIZE DRAG BOATS IN THE US

Back