Riggers from Japan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is correct. I have a problem with the firewall and pictures. I am working on it. For more info look at:

http://www.intlwaters.com/yabbse/index.php...ay;threadid=711

sorry about the temporary problems.... let me try something out.... for a temp fix..... i am thinking i will need to reformat the server to fix the problems. I believe it has been compromised in some way. :-[

testing a pic attachment:

carb1.jpg

Wowsers! That doesn't look like a 9B anymore. How does she work? Tell me about the mods. What did you do to it, and what is the difference in characteristics from the normal 9B? How did you get it to fit on the Picco. Was it a problem? Fill me in. I have a friend with a Picco who is having probs with the stock carb. It hiccups at full throttle. He thought that it was another problem, like a cracked case or worn out bearings, so he sent it in, and had it completely over hauled. New bearings, Case check, New cylender, sleeve, and rod. Still hiccups??? We are thinking about putting a 9B on her to see if it stops acting up. Let me know.?

Hammer

Hammer,

to get it to fit the picco i had to machine a few MM of the back of the carb so it would fit into the drum housing, and slot the holes slightly to allow it to bolt up., i did this using milling cutters in a drill press.

the bell mouth will allow more air in there, the OS have really average intake sides and we fixed that!! tim and myself spent a fair amount of time on it we had a known working venturi and i cut a tool to follow the shape of that and then finished it off with some wet and dry and polish to the mirror finish.

should make it flow a heap more air than a picco carb!! the spray bars in them are very very average!!

Dale

Dale,

Nice machine work on the 9b. Is that a pin or something holding it on?

-MikeP

Mike,

the sleve is a tight fit over the carb and held on with 2 6-32 gub screws, it was TimD's idea to do it so he came over and we played till we got what we liked!!

Dale

What are the benifits of doing this to the venturi? Does it effect air flow that much?

Hammer

What are the benifits of doing this to the venturi? Does it effect air flow that much?

Hammer
Better air flow and fuel atomisation. If done properly the carb will flow more air with no change to the barrel diameter. The motor will sound different also.

Yeah I have seen them on .46'es before. They are really cool sounding. Sounds like you started your boat in the living room while the Mrs. is vacuuming.

Hammer

Tim,

Do you use any particular geometry for the bellmouth (ie radius relative to bore size or whatever)? I have been asked to shorten the bellmouth on a CMB CAM 45, thus at the same time I can change the geomtry as well. 8)

Ian.

Ian,

we had a know working venturi off a picco so i cut a tool the same shape and cut it,

im sure there is a special thery for doing this but i dont know it!!

Dale

Ian,

I didn't use any formula as I couldn't find it in time but I do it by eye and feel : :)

Not very scientific I agree ;)

The CMB ones appear to be too long IMHO and the shape looks wrong.

The end face should be close to flat and then should give a smooth transition into the bore. there should also be anough clearance in front of the carb equal to 2 1/2 times the diameter. I fell a little short of this with the picco in the SG and we might have to take the thing back off and machine it down a little bit.

Hammer,

I meant the note of the motor when on pipe sounds different - not the suction of the motor. Sorry for the confusion.

Tim.

Back