Liberty's Fast Rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyFrancis

Hi all,

I have been working on a electric rigger design for the last month or two and finally ready to move it forward to the build phase.
I have previously built some custom shaped bodies for RC cars from carbon fiber. One was features on Raz Shifrin's YouTube channel if you follow cars at all. Link here doing 153 mph.
(Sorry I don't have the time to make you something, but happy to talk about the process or help you do it yourself shoot me a PM)

My part making process has been:
1. Design in Fusion 360
2. 3d Print from PLA
3. sand/body filler/primer to finish to a smooth polished surface.
4. Wax and PVA
5. Create mold with gelcoat and fiberglass
6. Wax and PVA release on mold > Generate final product from fiberglass or carbon fiber.

bothCapture.JPG
With the car bodies there was only ever the top and side so I could make the body in 1 mold and didn't require joining another body part.

How is this typically done with boats as you typically will have a top and bottom that need to be fused together to make one solid hull? I assume epoxy plus fiberglass or CF reinforcement on the inside.
What is your experience on what works best? I think the main hull wouldn't be too hard but the sponsons are very small and wouldn't have space inside to apply reinforcement.

I was considering making the sponsons via a skinning method instead by coating over the 3d printed shape.

Current design less the ground effect wings in the rear:
Wider stanceCapture.JPG

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

-Liberty

Last edited:
How much amp for ESC ? And Lipo volt?

Due to the limited space inside of the rigger I am planning on 8s
I have a TP Power 4070 that I will use for initial testing.

Not sure on the final ESC I will use but likely the ZTW 500a

I have a SeaKing 180a I may use for initial testing also incase this thing sinks! LOL

Will build new CF rigger tub size 1000 mm ? Where did you get ZTW ESC 500 AMP???

Last edited:
Will build new CF rigger tub size 1000 mm ? Where did you get ZTW ESC 500 AMP???
Off shore electrics sells them. I dont have that ESC yet. Still planning the electronics.

The total length is 1220 mm
I will build the boat initially with gelcoat and fiberglass and then carbon fiber later as the design may need big changes after being tested.

Got the front Sponsons printed over the weekend. Each one is 2 pieces and are 400mm long.
I have decided to just skin them with fiberglass chopped strand mat. They probably could be used as is, but I have had a few bad experiences with 3d prints deforming in the heat/sun.

Top view Capture.JPG

Nice work!!
Doesn't someone make a waterproof heat shrink wrap you could skin them with ??

Probably so, but I would like for it to gain the strength from adding the fiberglass also. I have also seen people will just brush on epoxy resin and then sand it. Gelcoat would work in the same way too.

Small update to the design rendering.
Placing the rear vertical stabilizer over the rudder parts for obvious reasons. Will also house the antenna.

Not sure if the wing endplates will be necessary to mitigate wing tip effect, so they will be removable parts. (I'll be changing their general shape also, just threw something on there today)

With Wings and tail Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Small update to the design rendering.
Placing the rear vertical stabilizer over the rudder parts for obvious reasons. Will also house the antenna.

Not sure if the wing endplates will be necessary to mitigate wing tip effect, so they will be removable parts.

View attachment 294841
Better V tailwing less fusion wind than wing flat end plates will flow over water

I am already thinking of re-shaping the leading edge of the main hull. But overall happy to see it taking shape.

Mock up 2 Capture.JPG

Very cool designs!

I have a little experience building CF boats, for the tub you could make a mold of the top and skin the bottom with a sheet or do a "monocoque" design with braid over a foam plug that is cut out.

full

Sponsons can be molded and sheeted as well.

https://www.intlwaters.com/media/albums/boats-n-more.70/page-9
ps: I'm amazed the SkyRC GPS module in the video worked under the CF body, I just got one of these and they are really amazing...

Very cool designs!

I have a little experience building CF boats, for the tub you could make a mold of the top and skin the bottom with a sheet or do a "monocoque" design with braid over a foam plug that is cut out.

Sponsons can be molded and sheeted as well.

https://www.intlwaters.com/media/albums/boats-n-more.70/page-9
ps: I'm amazed the SkyRC GPS module in the video worked under the CF body, I just got one of these and they are really amazing...

Thanks Terry!
Yes the SkyRC GNSS GPS is honestly the best thing out there for GPS units. I have used a few others like Garmin. The GoPro Heros series 5 and newer also have a great internal GPS, if you are willing to put it in/on the boat.

The carbon fiber will interfere with the GPS signals and agree that was a risky location to place it while expecting it to read. I know first hand the radio signals don't like going through carbon fiber at all!

I have done some foam molds in the past, but always had issues with symmetry. Now I just let the 3D printer do it all to keep it perfectly symmetrical. Hopefully in about 1 week I'll have all the pieces printed and can begin skinning them with fiberglass. Chopped strand mat does a great job of conforming to complex curves.

This project should come together pretty fast assuming I can find the time to work on it.

Back