Liberty's Fast Rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we built our carbon twin many year ago, we used Braided Carbon Biaxial Sleeve - it is one continuous sleeve of carbon.....

It might work well to cover the main hull and maybe even the sponons....

How would you use that material at the ends if it was a more rounded surface? I assume you would have to cut and fold?
This one being a prototype I don't mind using fiberglass but possibly later I'll make one from carobn fiber.

Finished up the 3D print over the weekend.
Was able to do the entire thing with less than 1 spool of PLA 👍

We have a 3 month old baby so garage time is hard to come by. I am hoping I can get out there one night this week or possibly Saturday and begin the fiberglass process.

Finished 3d print Capture.JPG

Been looking at the 3-blade prop in the pictures I had seen online of the JAG's rigger.

JAGs 2.JPG

I think I am getting close.

Replicate JORGs Prop 3.JPG

Always wanted to get into metal casting. Looks like I may have a hobby now that could require it.

Don't try to recreate the props. You can buy props that are 90% close to what you need.
Truth be told I wont be casting my own props anytime soon. I just really enjoy designing and dreaming of conceptual ideas.

For now I want to learn more about pitch by slowly modifying/bending my x447 prop and see how it changes things (motor temps, speed, rpm)
I also bought a prop with a 2.2 pitch ratio just to see what that looks like compared to my 1.4 pitch prop. Lots to learn still.

Been focused on some other projects and now getting back to this one.
Got a wire drive setup made for it from Brent Byers out of Plano TX.

Did some body filler on the small voids in the fiberglass.

Today I cut out the hatches so I can begin mock up of the components. It will be snug in there...
TP4070 (40x107mm)
Castle XLX2 ESC
Servo
2x 4s LiPos to run on 8s.

hatch cut outs Capture.JPG

The back section where the strut mount is will be sealed from the rest of the hull to avoid possible flooding concerns.

I still consider myself a newb to boat building, so if you see anything or have some pointers I am always open to hearing ideas/suggestions.

Francis,

I think I would add a bulkhead across the back of the tub in front of the strut bracket. You will be adjusting the strut and or sponson angles with various propellers set ups. How is the rudder assembly going to attach to the tub?

Taking Shape,

Mark Sholund

Francis,

I think I would add a bulkhead across the back of the tub in front of the strut bracket. You will be adjusting the strut and or sponson angles with various propellers set ups. How is the rudder assembly going to attach to the tub?

Taking Shape,

Mark Sholund

Hi Mark,

I do plan on adding some bulkheads, but will be one of the last steps of the build. I appreciate that note as I agree it will help the hull integrity a lot.
I am debating on 2 ideas for the rudder. The number 1 idea is having the rudder mounted on one of the rear wings and aerodynamically shielded by a vertical stabilizer. (can be seen in the image from post #11)

Being my first scratch build I am taking it slow through the stuffing box setup and wire drive alignment to make sure I get things right.

-Liberty

Last edited:
Back