JAE gas rigger (new build)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zack matson

Hello folks , my name is Zack I'm 30 years young and live in beautiful MInnesota. My father and I just built a JAE gas out rigger with a G-260pum and a 256 walbro carb , zip kits hardware , zip kits tuned pipe and hardware . All other mics parts and such came from the folks at zip kits . The engine came brand new from bonzi boats with the carb . I have the pipe at a starting point of 13" on center line from the exh port on the head. Everything is built spot on correct with extra care to ensure perfect fittment . It's had 6 long months of hard work and it's finally ready to hit the water . We started the boat today to heat cycle the engine a few times before dropping it in out local lake . The 4th cycle we started to rev it up higher and higher and began to notice that when it reaches high Rpm it will bog and stall. It idles like a dream and has nice throttle response from low to medium throttle . If you blip the throttle wide open somewhat quickly you will notice the point where it wants to die close to full throttle. We have tried to richen the high circuit and also lean out the high circuit and it doesn't seem to help . Could this possibly be cleaned up by pipe tuning? I'm slightly lost for proper direction to fix this issue. Any ideal would be outstanding .

We have gone 4 1/2 turns out on the high circuit and still does the same thing . It gets better but never fully corrects the problem.

We have gone 4 1/2 turns out on the high circuit and still does the same thing . It gets better but never fully corrects the problem.
For what it is worth, from my experience, the low speed needle on gassers affects the throttle through 70-80% of the range, so you may need to open the low speed needle just a bit.

Thanks, John

not a pipe issue but maybe some dirt inside your carb.To check this out just open it and make a carefull clean with gas..there is a fine stainless steel filter that might be blocked and usually causes this problem.Gill

www.grsboats.com.br

Could a brand new 257 carb have a blocked screen this soon ? Yesterday we had this boat idling perfect and had great throttle response . Later we discovered that we had some water in our gasoline some how , so we emptied out the watery gas and replaced it with new gas and oil mix . We reset the starting point adjustments low to 1 turn out and high out 2 turns and now the boat has a terrible idle and is doggy as all get out . We have heat cycled this engine plenty . We even tossed it in the lake today and it performed horribly . I'm contemplating pulling the top end off to make sure everything looks good on the inside . Does anyone else have issues with the 257 carbs ? We have a 644 on a different boat and that one runs phenomenal .

Could a brand new 257 carb have a blocked screen this soon ? Yesterday we had this boat idling perfect and had great throttle response . Later we discovered that we had some water in our gasoline some how , so we emptied out the watery gas and replaced it with new gas and oil mix . We reset the starting point adjustments low to 1 turn out and high out 2 turns and now the boat has a terrible idle and is doggy as all get out . We have heat cycled this engine plenty . We even tossed it in the lake today and it performed horribly . I'm contemplating pulling the top end off to make sure everything looks good on the inside . Does anyone else have issues with the 257 carbs ? We have a 644 on a different boat and that one runs phenomenal .
You got it backwards, go 2-1/4 low and 1-1/4 high. ;)

I'm going to try that . Beardslee said the low circuit makes 70%-80% of the rpm range, that make sence with his advice . Do any of you guys run a similar set-up?

Zack bad gasoline for sure will affect the idlle but I never had any issue with the 257 even mod.The set up that Ray pointed out is the good one for the 257.The 644 I have on my Quickdraw is also good. Gill

I hope you're right Gil ! All these dollar bills stuck into this boat must scoot across the water soon ! :)

32.1 mix and it's one of them small injection formed tanks with the internal fuel pick-up and vent line that enter the tank through a rubber plug . I don't know the technical name . What are all of you folks running for gas oil mix ?

I run 8oz of oil per gallon. Have you checked the carb diaphragm for imperfections (wrinkles...caused by ethanol). This will cause the symptoms you are having.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a JAE gasser and run a Zenoha in it with a fuel bag and run NON-Alcohol Gas with 9 oz of Honda syn oil that is what was recommended by Mike Ross of Suicide engines. since switching to Non- Alcohol gas I have had no problems with the carbs /diaphams. You can also run Coleman fuel with same oil content then you do not have to worry about bad gas either. I do add a gas preserver called STARON it does a better job than Stabil. Or you can also use a product called Seafoam all of these are sold at autoparts stores, Walmart, or lawnmower shops. You can do a google for ethanol free gas and sites will shows which station for your area that sell it. Ethanol free is the key to trouble free gas boating.

You should consider a IV bag for fuel, no vent to suck in water and really durable and convieniant.Also if your hard tank does not the correct stopper for gasoline then the gas will eat the rubber.I set my HSN at 2 and LSN at 1.or use rays settings that will be close but remember if you need to come out on one needle you should go in on the other and visa versa.

Hi Zack,

If you are in or near the Twin Cities and have a IMPBA card. Come on down to the TCMBC and meet the crew on the 20th. We will be having a race and the whole gang will be there.

Mark

I built this boat with pretty much all zipp kit stuff and the fella at zipp kits told me to run 8oz Amsoil saber to 1 gal of non ethanol gasoline . H 1 turn and L 2.5 turns and the boat should run . Need I say that this is a brand new 257 carb and saw gas for the first time this past weekend .

As for you mark ! My father and uncle were both big wigs in that club years ago when I was still in diapers , my father and I were there last summer spectating several different .021 tunnels , riggers and monos . It was freaking hot that day . A couple guys had some gassers but never ran them that day . Will there be a gas rigger class that day?

If any of you are on Facebook , come find me . Search [email protected] there I have a folder for the JAE gas out rigger if anyone is interested in seeing how this boat it constructed to further help get this boat on the water . You all are fantastic !

I can not say if the Gas riggers will run or not next weekend. But There are a few more in the club this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back