IMPBA Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Blazer

Supporting Member
Just a thought...

I am sure more clubs would want to host the event if the following occured:

1. Get rid of the timed events.

2. Get rid of the manditory course size.

3. 5 rounds of racing, winner take all (US1)

4. Run all tunnels, all riggers, all hydros etc on sepperate days

By doing this, the nats won't be a week long event...probably 4 days.

There are very nice lakes that would be perfect to have the event, but currently can't.

This would take a lot of time out of setting up the race for the host club.

The 2004 gas nationals in Celina, Ohio was the best gas nationals ever. This is a smaller lake, but perfect area. We are going to host the 2007 Gas nats in Celina again this year. Since we are bringing in so many people to the city, Celina is seriously thinking about putting up a permanent drivers stand.

Tradition is great and should not be forgotten. Sometimes you need to have other options when times change. If a host club would like to keep the existing format, then great. But if a host club would rather go the other route, then great too.

Brian

I'd like to see the Internats at Celina. It's a great site. This format would make it possible.

Just a thought...

There are very nice lakes that would be perfect to have the event, but currently can't.

The 2004 gas nationals in Celina, Ohio was the best gas nationals ever. This is a smaller lake, but perfect area. We are going to host the 2007 Gas nats in Celina again this year. Since we are bringing in so many people to the city, Celina is seriously thinking about putting up a permanent drivers stand.

Tradition is great and should not be forgotten. Sometimes you need to have other options when times change. If a host club would like to keep the existing format, then great. But if a host club would rather go the other route, then great too.

Brian

Brian:

there is an approved alternate Internats format almost exactly as you describe. It has been brought to the board in a somewhat revised format by Don Ferrette and it eliminates the US-1 designation instead with National Champion . Its 4 rounds of heat racing, then the top 20 % or 6 boats move to the championship round. All heat racing no time trials. Apparently a very similar format was run in Slidell LA in the 80's. It is a valid Internats option for any club willing to just submit their proposal. I would love to see the race at Celina .. Tony J

I have a copy of the proposal if interested..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a great idea Tony, i have been apart of hosting two internats, and it is a unbelievable amount of work. The IMPBA should really look into this possability, I know a lot more clubs would bid on it then. I know the IMPBA is a small organazation, but we the members could do this. Please members put your opinions on this thead. 7 days to put on a nationals is fun but a lot of work on the host club. So IMPBA members what do you say? <_< :D

Tom

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would

like to see more heat racing than the

time events. Thats where the fun is, heat

racing. I am sure that more clubs would

want to host that event. Lets all take a

vote on it. Just my 2 cents worth. KEN

DITTO i agree a 4 day race 5 at most but what about specialty classes?

DITTO i agree a 4 day race 5 at most but what about specialty classes?
There wouldn't be specialty classes...if you have at least 3 or 5, then run them.

Brian

I like the idea of 4 rounds, then the top 6 advance to the final.

The first 4 rounds count for 60% of the total score

The final counts for 30% of the total score

Quoting a section of Dons early proposal. I was mistaken there are 5 rounds in the prelims then the National Championship Round:

SECTION 6 - Scoring

A. National Championship Trophy

1. Is determined based on the contestant's final order of finish in heat racing. After a preliminary round of (5) heats The top (6) point getters and ties will advance to the National Championship round. Points will be awarded based on the order of finish from the preliminary round eg 1st 400, 2nd 300, 3rd 225 etc. and these will be the starting point totals in the Championship round.

2. The Championship Round will consist of (3) heats of racing, plus the order of finish points from the preliminary round. (maximum total of 1600 points). The winner will be be crowned National Champion. In the event of a tie score between contestants at the conclusion of the National Championship round, that tie will be broken by referring back to the contestant with the highest total points for all heats (Championship Round and Preliminary Round)

This proposal has been massaged a bit by Don and the BOD but it is close enough to give you an idea..Tony J

Quoting a section of Dons early proposal. I was mistaken there are 5 rounds in the prelims then the National Championship Round:

SECTION 6 - Scoring

A. National Championship Trophy

1. Is determined based on the contestant's final order of finish in heat racing. After a preliminary round of (5) heats The top (6) point getters and ties will advance to the National Championship round. Points will be awarded based on the order of finish from the preliminary round eg 1st 400, 2nd 300, 3rd 225 etc. and these will be the starting point totals in the Championship round.

2. The Championship Round will consist of (3) heats of racing, plus the order of finish points from the preliminary round. (maximum total of 1600 points). The winner will be be crowned National Champion. In the event of a tie score between contestants at the conclusion of the National Championship round, that tie will be broken by referring back to the contestant with the highest total points for all heats (Championship Round and Preliminary Round)

This proposal has been massaged a bit by Don and the BOD but it is close enough to give you an idea..Tony J
So this is a total of 8 heats of racing per class? This seems it will take too long.

Just a thought...

Brian

Brian:

there is an approved alternate Internats format almost exactly as you describe. It has been brought to the board in a somewhat revised format by Don Ferrette and it eliminates the US-1 designation instead with National Champion . Its 4 rounds of heat racing, then the top 20 % or 6 boats move to the championship round. All heat racing no time trials. Apparently a very similar format was run in Slidell LA in the 80's. It is a valid Internats option for any club willing to just submit their proposal. I would love to see the race at Celina .. Tony J

I attended that particular Internats. In fact if my memory serves me right art McMeans proposed the all heat racing format. It seemed like a good idea, but most who attended did not like the format over the standard Nationals. It was just another heat race with 6 or 7 rounds. It did not have the distinction of a Nationals and consequently it returned to the present format and it has been successful including the last Nats. There has been so much controversey recently since the Nats, I think it has discouraged clubs and they do not want to put on the Nats. By the way it was not any shorter in the all heat racing format. Same number of days required. Maybe we need a year without the Nats and let the controversey subside. Gary

Brain............You are going down the right path. You are just looking at this from the wrong end.................Think: after all that has happened, what type of race will BRING EVERYONE together???????

You call it a National...............But you add a twist!!! ;) ;) ;)

[

Brian:

That would be a national champion race? Maybe, but not an intnernats level event.

4 rounds of racing and then just one heat of the top six decides national champion?

Sounds like a more luck than skill event with only one heat of racing, maybe three rounds for the top six.

To go and run 4 rounds and then if qualified dnf in a final heat would not be worth the time to me.

WE already have a National Event like the Brian Blazer format it is call the ATLANTA SPRING NATIONALS..... Happens every year. Always National type competition & If you can win 1st place you can be the Nationals Champion Untill the following year........... Maybe we need to take the Special Events out of the Nats Format to shorten it UP that is 2 days........ Oval & Saw is only 1 day.

[

Brian:

That would be a national champion race? Maybe, but not an intnernats level event.

4 rounds of racing and then just one heat of the top six decides national champion?

Sounds like a more luck than skill event with only one heat of racing, maybe three rounds for the top six.

To go and run 4 rounds and then if qualified dnf in a final heat would not be worth the time to me.

Phil you need to re-read my format a little more carefully. The championship round is not just one heat & it is a VALID Internats alternative format. Besides even if it was just one heat you of all people show be used to that as it would be just like a Scale class final by the regular scale heat racing format. ;)

For those of you that were at the `03 Internat's the timed events were a waste of a day. The water conditions were too poor for anyone to get their boat up to speed. It would have been a worse day to even try to race as were a couple of other days but there isn't much that we can do to control the weather.

I haven't been to Celina but have some videos of races there. The rip-rap on the other side of the pond scares me as if a boat hits that, you might as well try to salvage what little would be left.

I guess I am just an "Oldtimer" who has see many different things over the years.

If the IMPBA changes the format to just racing, it WILL be just another race. It will probably be the FURTHER demise of IMPBA.

If you win a US#1 by performing in each of the events, you are a true Champion. IF you change it to all heat racing, it will be a champion who will be crowned by NOT having a chance to compete against everyone in his/her class head to head.

The chance of setting up heats, is such that you may not get to race someone who will eventually win the championship and that person may scate through with easy heats (by luck of the draw). Maybe you would have been the one to beat them IF you had gotten to race them.

This topic has appeared many times and after people see the reasons for having everyone compete with all people in their class, it seems to go back to the tried and true setup devised many years ago.

I hope that people do not do this.... as it will most probably hurt the IMPBA.

DON'T be hasty in such a change. Study the results over many Internats and I believe that you will see that this is NOT a good idea.

Marty Davis

Hey, it's the Internats! The ONLY race like this each year! It's special and it should be different than any other race. To win at the Internats is such a special accomplishment in ones racing career. Changing the format by doing away with the Timed Events will make it just "another race".

Marty couldn't have said it better...............

Another "old timer,"

Dick Tyndall

I agree with Marty and Dick, take out the timed events and its just another race!

I have done it both ways being that I run IMPBA and NAMBA and I prefer the IMPBA US 1 Format over NAMBA National Champion Format any day!

Marty couldn't have said it better...............

Another "old timer,"

Dick Tyndall
Funny, you gave me some of the best input when I wrote the alternate format proposal. <_<

After 5 rounds of heat racing it pits the best of the best against each other for 3 more rounds. No different than if you choked during heat racing of the regular format, you're not going to the final dance. B)

The whole purpose of the alternate format is to give clubs that may not have the pond to do timed events (like too short for SAW) but a have great heat race site. It's just an option, not a replacement so you "old timers" can stop getting your panties in a wad..... :lol:

Don, I dont see how a lake that is big enough for heat racing could be to small for SAW?? Sure you may not have the run up area but you still have a 330" straight and its equal for all. No one ever sets a record at the Nats anyway.

Ron

Back