Hull prep before a race.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

Ask 5 guys about hull prep before a race and you may end up getting 5 different answers. There are a couple of trends at the moment that make the bottom of your hull slick as glass. One product is called SeaSlick, another is Right Guard Aerosol deodorant.

The theory being that both repel the water and make it glide effortlessly forward.

I was at the Winternats in Melbourne and saw both being used frequently. Anyone try it?

119685290.jpg

I would be curious to hear other's thoughts on this. I have always been of the opinion that you need to break the water tension and so you would not want to use a lubricant to keep the water from getting sticky. I actually sand the bottoms of my boats with 400 grit in a cross pattern.

D

+4

sand

i was once told a story by a racer that involved him tricking other racers into thinking his speed came from waxing the bottom. he would let them "see" him do it. then he would laugh and laugh and laugh lol

It would be interesting to see a true test done comparing a scuffed bottom to a bottom with a hydrophobic coating.

Paint company's make what you call anti graffiti paint. I talked to a local paint rep about it years ago and he claimed it was extremely slippery so you could wash the graffiti off of buildings instead of continually having to paint them. If the anti fouling solution works the same way I would definitely give it a try. I know of a few well known modelers that have used this paint with excellent results and swear by it. I believe that sanding works well but few will pass on these kinds of speed secrets. Just remember it's the complete package that makes for a winning combination.

Later, Ron

Alfonso,

I did actually purchase two sets of it to try and never did. That would be the exception to the point I was making about surface tension because the is a chemical repellant with the water.

Ask 5 guys about hull prep before a race and you may end up getting 5 different answers. There are a couple of trends at the moment that make the bottom of your hull slick as glass. One product is called SeaSlick, another is Right Guard Aerosol deodorant.

The theory being that both repel the water and make it glide effortlessly forward.

I was at the Winternats in Melbourne and saw both being used frequently. Anyone try it?
So , to go back to your original post- any idea how those guys that used those products actually finished ???

IMHO - Just my worthless .02 again btw. I have not seen too many heat finishes that .002 or even .02 Hell- sometimes even 2.0 secs has made a bit of difference in the outcome of the heat. If you guys are racing THAT close, and the bottom jizz helps ya- Hats Off to ya, again just my worthless .02 - you can find that speed / lower lap times elsewhere .............

Last edited by a moderator:
Back