Latest Oval Express Racing Build. Villain S1 EXTREME

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
Well, I wantd to share with the IW crew my latest build. I had a brand new unbuilt villain sitting in a box since the 2005 internats, and decided a few months ago it was finally time to build it. As you will see in the pictures, I added a few changes, nothing drastic. :p

While I lived in the states, I painted all of my own boats. I had an aircompressor, spray gun, a little painting knowledge yatta yatta yatta... When we moved to Germany, I had to leave the compressor behind, too big to ship and the voltage overe here is different, so that left me with a delima. I tried to ask a few body shops around how much it would cost to clear over my colors, which I would paint and take responsibility for paint compatibility with automotive clear, without many positive answers...

I saw a few postings from Rusty Nesbitt on IW showing a couple custom painted tunnels he had done, and I contacted him about doing mine. Many emails later, we agreed on the rough idea of a paint scheme. I tried not to be too picky, and let him utilize his professional eye for what looks good. I think the pics speak for themselves about Rustys eyesight!

I can hardly explain in words how good this boat looks. The clear looks to be a foot thick, perfectly flat, and slick as glass. The lettering/"decals" are all painted on. Thats right, no stickers for Rusty, he looked at the few decals I sent him to be placed on the boat and then cleared over and copied them in PAINT onto the hull. Absolutely no edges whatsoever, perfectly smooth.

Im not being paid or sponsored, and I usually dont ramble on about a service that has been provided to me, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Rusty is the MAN in a paint booth. If you have a boat that needs painting, please shoot him an email or PM. You will not be disapointed!!

Now about the boat, I am going to be building this boat over the next week or two and would like to keep this thread as a ongoing project build, namely rigging up the boat, radio box and prepping it for racing. I will include numerous photos as a hopeful guide to anyone who might need to se another way of doing things on their future build. If I can muster enough courage to throw this beautiful boat in the water, it will make its debut at the 2007 National Outboard Tunnel Championships in March located in Walterboro, SC.

~James

(Click on the pics, the auto resizing kinda has them distorted)

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
James ,

Thats a Beauty to say the least . Nice sponson work . Is that something you already tried or new design?

Ed

Thanks Jerry, yeah the OS was "previously enjoyed"(read: used) by someone..... The inside is all new though... :ph34r:

~James

The carbon cloth looks like it has rows of "nail gun" nails sticking up,, is that something like carbon "roving" material?

Ya know, "thick" material?

Its a pretty thick weave. Im not sure of the cloth size, as it was already finished when I got them. The are about 1/8 thinck, but are smooth as glass. I think its just the way the camera/flash picked up the reflection off of the weave. ~James

Hey James,

Awesome boat!

Great job on the sponson work.

Deffinatly Xtreme.I've seen alot of sponsons and tunnels, but that,I've never seen before.

Good luck with her. She's a gem.

And Rusty did a beautiful job on the finishing work too.

I'm going to have to look him up.

There's one or two boats around here that could use a little paint.

Is that the same Rusty that just sold the HTB 290 on I/W?

Hey James,Awesome boat!

Deffinatly Xtreme.I've seen alot of sponsons and tunnels, but that,I've never seen before.

It is the very same Rusty. And if you come to the Tunnel Championships in March you will see at least 6 or more samples of his outstanding work.

Hey James,Awesome boat!

It is the very same Rusty. And if you come to the Tunnel Championships in March you will see at least 6 or more samples of his outstanding work.
James did a great job on this boat he had it finished so well it was a breeze to paint...I was a little concerned when he told me it was wood and I was thinkin about all the xtra work I would have to do to get it slick but was relieved and impressed when I saw it the first time .....he did some pretty wild sponson work it is more impressive in person than in pics. I am glad he gave me the chance to paint it.

Gabe

Awesome job man, also a compliment on the paintjob from Rusty, especially the cockpit is very nice.

Will it run at the tunnel nats???

I am still waiting on my paintjob :(

Ronald.

Hi,

Xtremely nice paint job!

What's the tunnel height on this hull?

Thomas

Thanks, Its whatever the stock height is on a villain, around 3/4 inch I believe.

~James

My Wife is out of town this week on Business, so I am taking the opportunity to get as much done down in the shop as possible. Here are a bunch more pics of rigging up the radio box. Hopefully someone will find this useful when building a tunnel, be it experienced builders or first timers. Its good to have piture to look at, and get a few ideas that might not be the "norm".

Here we go, a clean slate:

IMG_0098-1.jpg

Get the servos and switch mounted on the radio tray, this is much easier than trying to do it while its in the radio box:

IMG_0100-1.jpg

View from the under side, im a bit of a stickler for a neat radio box, so I try to keep the wires bundled. It makes it kind of a pain if you have to replace something, but its worth the extra effort to me to keep it neat.

IMG_0099-1.jpg

Mounted the tray on the existing rails. Makes for an easy removal if nesscesary:

IMG_0101-1.jpg

Starting of my pull-pull cable system, a little different than Mikes set-up, but it works just as good and I think its easier this way. I use a sullivan outer sheath, with a coated very flexible cable I found here in Germany at the local hobby store. Its intended to be used on large scale airplanes for the rudder. Its very strong, comes in a bulk roll, and is very cheap. ($10 bucks for 50 feet). The cable gets wrapped once around each screw on the heavy duty servo horn. There is no need for "seals" because it is a very nice snug fit, and because it is flexible, the hole only needs to be as big a the sheath.

IMG_0102-1.jpg

After the cable has been wrapped once around each screw and tightened. This stuff is VERY flexible!

IMG_0103-1.jpg

The other end of the cable that goes on the motor steering arm. Very simple, yet effective, strong and adjustable. The threaded peice is also used for aircraft rudders, with just a normal heavy duty clevis.

IMG_0108.jpg

Everything attached and crimped. The adjustment makes this set-up very easy to work with.

IMG_0111-1.jpg

Steering is finished, view fom the top:

IMG_0112-1.jpg

Used the same cable and sheath for the throttle cable, pretty self explanatory here. I usually dont use a throttle return spring, but the paint job has me nervous.... Should the radio go out, this small spring will pull the carb completely shut. The spring is from a futaba stick radio, the spring normally keeps tension on the sticks/gimbal, also found at the local hobby shop.

IMG_0114.jpg

Other end of the throttle cable, made a "ramp" for the sheath to sit on to line it up with the servo horn. Makes the motion of the cable movement much smoother when everything is lined up.

IMG_0116-1.jpg

More tommorow night! ~James

James ,Thats a Beauty to say the least . Nice sponson work . Is that something you already tried or new design?

Ed
Ed

I believe James has about the same sponson design on his SAW tunnel.

James:

Thanks for posting the pics on the interior of this beauty, might come in handy for me when I will finish my Nemesis.

Looks like you can make a book about how to make/build a tunnel.... LOL

Ronald.

Back