Lipo Lowdown From My POV.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Pachmayer

Hi Guys,

I would like to explain why "I" think lipo cells won't be the death of FE racing and also why "I" think it can only help.

First thing you have to understand is how an FE race is run. Up until last year the course size for a FE race was 5 laps on a 10th mile oval. This was fine with the components that were available at the time rules were drafted. With the introduction of high power BL motors, better controllers and higher capacity cells it was quickly understood that the speeds were greatly exceeding the course size, lots of wrecks and upside down boats are quite the norm. The 1/8th mile course was adopted and helped quite a bit on the carnage. There was another upside to the longer course, it was easier on the components because the boats had more time to wind up before entering a corner.

Race day: Fe races consist of 3 rounds per class all run on the same day. It is not uncommon to see an FE racer running 4 to 8 classes A DAY. Now, if your a nitro or gas racer think about that one for a minute. If you were going to a 2 or 3 day race you could end up running 10 to 20 classes! Even though some of the boats would cross over classes you still had quite a few boats in your pit with the support equipment to go along with it. The average race time per heat in the faster classes (including 6 cells) is roughly 70 seconds or less. To run those type of times/speeds you need to pull big amps out of the cells, on average a fast boat will pull 2200 to about 2600mAh out of the batteries in that short period of time. Cell temps of 150 degrees plus is the norm, the fastest guys in the 180 degree range. Simply put the batteries suffer greatly from that abuse and need to be replaced on a regular basis.

I can count on both hands the number of racers nationally that can support the equipment needed to run at the top. Roughly the same number of people actually spend what it takes to travel to the half dozen or so races spread across the country that are held annually. A big race consists of 15 to 30 racers, I would say 22 people being the average attendance. The FE community is so small I can pretty much pick the winners from the sign up sheet before the race even starts. To figure this for yourself all you need to do is look at the last 3 or 4 years of the NAMBA FE Nats, it's the big one for FE and other than 1 Nats held in MI they were smaller than a good club race. District racing or any kind of points series are unheard off. NAMBA is were you go if you want to race FE boats, FE racing in IMPBA is pretty much non existent. These aren't my opinions, this is the way it is.

With the introduction of lipo batteries the game started to change. When the IMPBA allowed FE boats to run in the open classes I and about 6 others jumped on the chance. Granted running a FE powered open class boat is not for everyone cost wise but there were enough guys to make an impact. It didn't take me long to realize the FE community was going about things the wrong way. After attending and racing over 20 nitro/gas events the last couple years I've gained a great respect for the way you guys do things. Nitro and gas racers/events have it together. Things are very organized, run smoothly and have a bunch of competition. Not to say that there haven't been problems at a few races but overall things run good. Oddly enough the nitro and gas crowd accepted and gave more respect to FE racers than we do ourselves. We've been running the lipo batteries "unrestricted" over the last two years. Nothing has got out of control and there haven't been any problems. If some of the fears that the FE community has about lipos we're going to happen I think we would have at least seen something by now. Funny thing is we've self-regulated ourselves, nothing over the top has happened. The other interesting thing that has happened is several nitro/gas clubs have added FE only classes to their regular races, that's above and beyond open class racing. To me that's huge. It tells me there's acceptance and a willingness to allow and or combine fe classes into more racing venues. If you truly are a boat racer how can this be bad? If your District had an active FE club in it and within the district you had a point series, would the nitro/gas clubs be willing to add a couple FE classes to the series? Can you see where this is going now?

For this to actually work it will take a few things. The biggest of which needs to come from the FE side. WE NEED TO QUIT ACTING LIKE WE PLAY WITH BATHTUB TOYS!! The biggest resistance to lipo power is coming from guys that don't even come out of their own back yards. If your one of them and your club want's to run 21 inch boats on 6 cheap sub-C cells who's stopping you? You can do what your club wants but please don't come out and say lipos are the death of FE and you'll quit if lipos are allowed. To me that's a sign that you really aren't an avid boat racer, your more of backyard basher.

Next thing is we need to change the way we race. Run 1 mile races and have full course mills. I don't care if your run a small 10th mile course, do 10 laps, 1/8th mile 8 laps and of course 6 laps on the 1/6th mile course. Also adopt the 5 rounds of racing spread over 2 days like our nitro and gas counterparts. Think about that for a minute. The way FE races are run now if a guy could only afford to run say two classes and both those classes fell on the same day. He would get to race 6 rounds for a total of what, maybe 10 minutes total on water time? He traveled how far and spent what to get there? Is that what you call budget racing? On a two day race why would he bother? Are you starting to understand where this is going? Now if that same guy knew he could race over 2 days and get ten rounds of racing in and the on water time was over doubled it gets a bit more attractive.

Lipo cells give us the opportunity to do these things. A nitro or gas club holding a race doesn't have to change a thing to accommodate a couple FE classes. The club holding the event benefits by more participants. FE racers benefit by having more race venues which right now is a major drawback for an electric boat racer. (the lack of races locally) Running a mile with more rounds also reduces the number of classes a guy has to run to make it worth the while to attend a FE race. Someone could actually run two or three boats and get good at tuning and driving them, have fun and be more competitive WITH LESS CASH OUTLAY. The other benefit of lipos is you can run a bigger boat than what is the norm now. A bigger boat finishes more heats and is easier to drive. Cost wise it's roughly the same. Speeds with lipos will increase, no argument there. But what racer wouldn't want more speed?

Classes need to change. We have WAY too many classes right now. Several are redundant. Right now we have M, N, O, P, Q, S and T plus some specialty classes. Within those classes we have, mono, hydro, sport hydro, OPC tunnel and offshore. Several of the classes run almost identical speeds with similar sized boats, why?

In IMPBA lipos are now legal to run. The rule IS NOT PERFECT but racing in IMPBA is not really happening so my suggestion is this.

For simplicity sake I'll call it class A, B and C and break it down by voltage.

Class A is up to 7.4 nominal volts. Parallel up to 2 packs 10KmAh limit

Class B is up to 18.5 nominal volts. Parallel up to 2 packs 10K limit

Class C is up to 37 volts nominal. Parallel up to 2 packs unlimited capacity.

Obviously motor specs and hull length rules need to be implemented and I think following the basic nitro guidelines for those lengths is appropriate. The idea is to narrow the gap between FE, nitro and to an extent gas powered boats. If we can all run basically the same boats at around the same speeds nobody has to make an special abominations to run what ever power source at any given race. It's not about combining all power sources in one heat, it's about combing all power sources at one race. There will be a certain amount of give and take but if we can all get on the same page nothing but good can become of it. We all benefit as a whole and there are no losers. The RC boating community becomes stronger and resources can be better pooled together.

This is the general idea I have, it's a vision that could be reality if we just take a moment and think about it. Yes, it will be a bit tough at first but with all of us working together it can be done. It's already happening in some areas so I know it's possible if only we could quit whining about it and see the big picture.

Paul.

Well Paul, I just read your little novel :lol: .... I like it man.

Very good points, and about as diplomatic as it can be put, although im sure someone will pull out a thousand little quotes and tear it to shreads, but thats just how some people do it. The battery debate aside, I think your ideas are heading in best direction for the sport as a whole.... But I havent even run my FE boat yet, so what do I know?

~James

Paul,

Since the IMPBA rules are in and NIMH will never be competitive again, I also agree with your ideas based on this.

3 classes for Hydro and 3 for Mono? I also agree with running on the 1/6th mile course.

Go for it man, I might even come down to Huntsville and run with you guys.

Running less classes is also safer.

thanks,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul,

Very well presented and thought out. Huge truths and points that you have brought up. I hope that the other guys will give your ideas some time and opportunity to work. Having the FE classes that we have added to the CMB races are a real hope that the seeds of some good FE racing in the southeast can be grown. It will be slow but if it is not started, it will never happen.

The primary point that cannot be overlooked by any RC boat racer and that is let's work together for the best interest of our hobby - or we will not have one. That was my point I was making 2 months ago.

John

Good Job Paul,

But I don't understand the odd voltage split for your classes, should it not be 7.4 -14.4-22.2-37 volts?

The potential problem would be most people have purchased cells in 2s increments, so now they would have to 2 different set of batteries which would be very expensive.

Or did I read something wrong?

Everyone have a great Holiday!!!

2S 7.4

3S 11.1

4S 14.8

5S 18.5

6S 22.2

10S 37.0

This is how most packs are sold.

7.4 2S

18.5 5S

37.0 10S

2S for lower cost and ran in large boats with Neu motors or eqv. for the 1/6th course.

5S packs can be used in 5S and 10S.

I see where he is headed and it's an excellent solution. Simple rules.

Most of the racers boats are "N" "P" and "Q"

"N" -2S = 7.4

"P" -4S = 14.8

"Q" -6S = 22.2

These are the pack that are going to be the most common.

2+4 =6

6+4 =10

Larry

Yes, that works as well.

"N" -2S = 7.4

"P" -4S = 14.8

"Q" -6S = 22.2

These are the pack that are going to be the most common.

2+4 =6

6+4 =10

Larry

"N" -2S = 7.4

"P" -4S = 14.8

"Q" -6S = 22.2
I love this idea... Increments like this allow people to have more flexibility in choosing classes... and 6S should be about as much power as you'd ever need... Though, there is nothing wrong with having a "T" level that is basically 10S for the "Open" guys...

I agree, this would be an improvement form the way we run things now.

3 voltage classes and an open would be my choice. I'm guessing that we could make a 6S rigger go fast enough for just about anybody.

It would be fun to use some of that capacity and get more time on the water for the effort.

Response for a Nitro / LSG boat racer:

My interest is primarily 1/8 Scale and LSG Sport Hydro. For FE to appeal, I want a system that doesn't have to give anything away to these boats.

I saw Ed Hughy's efforts years ago but the notion of having to lash multiples of cells together has never appealed to me. After seeing the races at Cincinnati this year it looks like I'm ready.

FE needs to become part of the mainstream racing activity. Otherwise, it will just stay as a niche facet. I don't have a working knowledge of the FE alphabet soup of classes, but it seems logical to me that setting up parallels for Sport 20, Sport 40, and 1/8 Scale, etc. would help FE be accepted. The best pool of potential FE racers are people who already race model boats.

As for competition regulations, my view is the fewer the rules the better. There needs to be latitude for racers to do racer things. Most rules only work because technology doesn't change too quickly. Such is not the case with FE. I like the notion of setting voltage levels and pack count. It leaves room for technical advances without having to constatly tweak the rules. I know this isn't an exact analogy but I started the model hobby with open exhaust Mc Coy -60- engines. Racers being racers we pushed each generation of engines until they broke and then got something better. We now have the MAC and CMB, etc. on tuned pipes. I see something like that happening with FE technology. So, every so often we get better batteries and better controllers and better motors. That's the way it works.

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

Hi Guys,

THANK YOU!!! I appreciate the positive comments. The idea I set forth has been my goal all along, the guys who I race with and talk with have known this already. The only reason I haven't brought it forth before is #1 lonnngggg posting where I know I'll miss something and #2 I thought I'd have a tic more time before presenting the info. All the bickering and misinformation has forced me to work on this a bit harder which isn't a problem because I love this sport and want it to be the best it can.

I'll try to explain as well as I can. My problem is I'm a 2 finger typer and not a very good one at that. :lol: I'm much better "in person".

3 classes for Hydro and 3 for Mono? I also agree with running on the 1/6th mile course.
Actually Steve we would have 4 classes per voltage break. Mono, sport hydro, hydro and offshore. Offshore would not be a "by minute" race, it would be by laps with an extra pin to turn left around. Stepped hulls and cats allowed.
But I don't understand the odd voltage split for your classes, should it not be 7.4 -14.4-22.2-37 volts?The potential problem would be most people have purchased cells in 2s increments, so now they would have to 2 different set of batteries which would be very expensive.
Okay guys, this is the "tough" part for FE racers. You have to quit thinking the way you always have. You CAN NOT compare this structure or lipo cells to the way you do Nixx classes. You must "think" a new way. Steve was correct about the A class, if you are on a budget this is the best area to race in. The boats will be plenty fast, I've built 50mph sport hydro setups for customers that run 4 minutes with 2, 2S 4350 packs. Monos should expect similar speeds. Also keep in mind we want to "mirror" the nitro boat sizes and heat length.
Continuing on from experience we don't need 6S in the boats, a 5S system in a 36 inch sport hydro or mono or rigger is plenty. If you look at what is available battery wise 6S packs aren't always offered but 5S is. Also a guy could run 4S and still be competitive. You see we have to quit thinking the way we have, just because the limit in a class is xS doesn't mean you have to run at the limit to have the fastest boat on the pond. I've seen 8S setups run in open that were faster than a 10S system. I've also raced against a 11S system with 10S power and flat out kicked butt. Also combining lipo cells needs to be thought about, a 3S+2S, 2S+2S what every, lots of possibility and flexibility with lipo packs. You just have to think different.

3 voltage classes and an open would be my choice. I'm guessing that we could make a 6S rigger go fast enough for just about anybody.
I've thought really hard about this and I'm really stuck on the idea that I outlined up top. Brian, you know what a 4S rigger will do. Do you really think anything over 5S is necessary? Be honest and think of the "big picture" I outlined. In class C you can run anything from 6S up to 10S, isn't that open enough for everyone? Plus in IMPBA (which is what we're discussing) there already is "open" racing were you can run head to head with our nitro and gas counterparts. Pretty much anything goes there, within the chosen power sources rules.

FE needs to become part of the mainstream racing activity. Otherwise, it will just stay as a niche facet. I don't have a working knowledge of the FE alphabet soup of classes, but it seems logical to me that setting up parallels for Sport 20, Sport 40, and 1/8 Scale, etc. would help FE be accepted. The best pool of potential FE racers are people who already race model boats.
HOLY MOLY!!!!! Thank you sir! The idea has hit home and the big picture revealed. Give this gentleman a cigar.

Guys, if the races are run the way I outlined you can run three boats all weekend and have a fantastic time doing it. You don't need to run 5 to 10 classes to have a good time. By all means though, if you want to do that feel free but I bet you won't have as much fun. This is one of the biggest lessons I've learned running with the nitro and gas guys. Talk to some of these guys, you'll see them running a few classes each, they know their boats and most anyone has a chance at a podium finish.

Paul.

I see where you coming from Paul and I agree, but if we have different cell splits than any other org. we are going to hurt the hobby in all org.s by limiting the crossover.

With 12 classes it would be hard for me to believe that you can't have some crossover.....also, some seperation is a good idea as well.

Wow! Paul I know you & I have been buttin' heads on the other thread but I know a well thought out proposal to move things "into the future" when I see one. What you wrote clearly shows you put alot of thought into this & my hat's off to ya dude as this is exactly the thinking that's needed. I like how you broke it down to levels based on volts and capacity and did away with cell count. With this format one can have x number of volts & x amount of capacity, how it gets there is up to the racer. Granted the bigger limit classes the lipos will be the way but correct me if I'm wrong that there is still a place for the standard cell racers to run without instant obsolecense. for And your multi day ideas for FE events is great, the perfect way to move things more into mainstream 2 day racing and further promote crossover into "open class" events which already you know I'm very big on. This is a great idea & I hope the ball keeps rolling & moving forward. B)

Continuing on from experience we don't need 6S in the boats, a 5S system in a 36 inch sport hydro or mono or rigger is plenty. If you look at what is available battery wise 6S packs aren't always offered but 5S is. .... Also combining lipo cells needs to be thought about, a 3S+2S, 2S+2S what every, lots of possibility and flexibility with lipo packs. You just have to think different.
Paul... I'm more than willing to defer this to you guys... you are the experts on the higher cell-count... errr.. I mean voltage level classes...

My point was simply that building things up in 2S increments basically means that a racers inventory of cells will consist of all 2S packs... configured to fit whichever class he/she wishes to run in the 2s/4s/6s scheme...

Likewise, when a cell puffs or is damaged... the pack can be reused to build another classes pack, or ????

Obviously thinking more practically here than perhaps competitively...

Also, is a 1s step difference (4s to 5s) enough of a progression between classes? Again, thinking that the difference in classes needs to be more defined, or a more definate step, which apparently isn't what you are aiming at since you suggested that 4s and 5s could race together... Since FE traditionally hasn't done this (Doesn't allow 8-cell "O" class boats to race with P, etc...), I'm trying to get a handle on this...

Thanks for all the hard work!

Paul, I see where you are heading. It might be a good idea - I don't know. At least it looks good from the nitro perspective.

You are just missing out the entry level electric racing. 2S2P, 10,000mAh is NO entry level racing. You might want to consider the guys who run this too.

Merry Christmas,

Joerg

From what I read on 99% of the forums, people want ballistic right out of the box. You and I know that's not a good idea but that is what they want. I suggest they go to a race and watch Paul, Kelly and others. I like the 1/6th and it gives you lots of room.

Let me know your schedule Paul.

thanks,

Steve

Paul, I see where you are heading. It might be a good idea - I don't know. At least it looks good from the nitro perspective.
You are just missing out the entry level electric racing. 2S2P, 10,000mAh is NO entry level racing. You might want to consider the guys who run this too.

Merry Christmas,

Joerg

Hi Guys,

I should have mentioned this before but it was one of the "forgots". This is a work in progress and there are several things I haven't brought up, entry level classes, specialty classes and safety. The idea for entry level is limited sport hydro and LS mono, 700bb 12 cells or 4s1p 4350mAh total. To even things up further an aluminum X4xx prop only could be speced? I'd also add an opc class and 1/8th scale.

I see where you coming from Paul and I agree, but if we have different cell splits than any other org. we are going to hurt the hobby in all org.s by limiting the crossover.
No. You only have too look at what's going on with NAMBA FE debates to see where that's going. They aren't looking forward enough, it'll be the same old thing with new power/battery guidelines. So far IMPBA has lead the way in allowing us, the racers, to use lipo cells in our boats. They didn't put restraints on us other than voltage limits. Keep in mind that we haven't just been playing with the big stuff, OPC and 21 mono setups are also out there being run. This is going to sound harsh and I know it but I really don't care what NAMBA does. I'm a member of both orgs and cross over both, what ever they come up with or not is fine by me. I want to see the hobby grow. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. ;)
Also, is a 1s step difference (4s to 5s) enough of a progression between classes? Again, thinking that the difference in classes needs to be more defined, or a more definate step, which apparently isn't what you are aiming at since you suggested that 4s and 5s could race together... Since FE traditionally hasn't done this (Doesn't allow 8-cell "O" class boats to race with P, etc...), I'm trying to get a handle on this..
A 1S difference means nothing. Your correct, I would allow 4S to 5S race together. Forget "tradition" because we're going in a completely different direction here. What I would like to see is the FE side of the sport "mirror" the nitro classes. I'm not 100% set on the voltage limits and I'm more than happy to listen to good arguements on voltage guidlines. We do need to keep in mind speeds of the voltage breakdowns and the boat size. Size is dictated by the nitro rules EXCEPT for LSH/LSO.

That was an oversite on my part, entry level is in the beginning of this post. Joerg, you may not think I completely understand what your saying about unlimited power or double the power as I've outlined but I DO understand. If you could understand our style of racing in the States you'll understand why the breakdowns are the way I've outlined. A 27 inch sport hydro on 2S2P will run with a .21 powered boat and it has "built in" limiters. I'm not suggesting running with the nitro boats but the speeds for boat size will be very similar. ;)

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back