Help Me Understand

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you first hand that the future of our hobby rests in our kids. A couple years ago I promoted D2's Rookie of the Year series and the class showed promise. The only thing is that all of the kids had parents racing as well.

My racing has become much more enjoyable since my kids started racing. They also enjoy building boats but you have to take your time with them. I've been working with my daughter on a Sport 20 for a year now and while that may seem like a long time, it's been time well spent. My son is building her a stand in Applied Tech (Woodshop) for us Old timers.

As for RTR boats I have to question the value of building a RTR that will be grown out of instead of building a boat that can be grown into. A RTR may work for the first year but I think they will soon become dust magnets once the owners attend a race and realize the quality is sub-par. My daughter began racing one of my 20 monos in the novice class and was able to hold her own against Sport 40s and even gas hydros. She will be racing the same boat at the Internats in 20 mono this year.

A RTR may work for the first year but I think they will soon become dust magnets once the owners attend a race and realize the quality is sub-par.
I'll disagree a little here Joe. The RTR's have gotten much better recently, I've even got one to goof around with. We need to move outside our box and attract the potential new boaters who perhaps don't have a parent or friend who already is a boater. The other major stumbling block is having to try this hobby with committing $1,000-$1,500 right off the top. Those kind of numbers are very, very real even for a 20 mono which can & will drive off many potential new boaters. When a young or even older boater can try this with a $400 dollar commitment your odds greatly increase. As far as "growing out of it" probably every single seasoned boater has done that, how many still have their first boat? Like I said before, once the hook its set the rest will take care of itself. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
A RTR may work for the first year but I think they will soon become dust magnets once the owners attend a race and realize the quality is sub-par.
I'll disagree a little here Joe. The RTR's have gotten much better recently, I've even got one to goof around with. We need to move outside our box and attract the potential new boaters who perhaps don't have a parent or friend who already is a boater. The other major stumbling block is having to try this hobby with committing $1,000-$1,500 right off the top. Those kind of numbers are very, very real even for a 20 mono which can & will drive off many potential new boaters. When a young or even older boater can try this with a $400 dollar commitment your odds greatly increase. As far as "growing out of it" probably every single seasoned boater has done that, how many still have their first boat? Like I said before, once the hook its set the rest will take care of itself. B)
I know what your saying Don. I guess my point is that the money spent on a RTR just gets them in the door. I know some clubs have purchased RTR boats to let potential new members experience the thrill. I think this is a good thing.

BTW I built my first boat 20 (Coyote) years ago and it is still being raced by John Banano. Heck he may still be using the same glow plug. :lol:

Remember the post I made here some time back. Several years back I took it upon myself to try to get folks in the Kalamazoo MI. area interested in forming a club. To make a long story short, this was the deal. I had over 30 people on a mail/phone list, and I held monthly meetings at the LHS. Out of 30 people who showed interest, only myself and maybe 2 others had any RACING experience, or even showed any interest at all in racing. All these folks wanted was a LOCAL, INSURED, SAFE PLACE TO COME AND RUN THEIR BOATS. The toughest sell with these folks was the concept of joining a racing organization such as IMPBA just for the probable chance of securing a LOCAL site of which to safely pursue their recreation. These folks had NO desire to race, much less travel to go run their models. As we could not find a place to run, interest declined and I gave up the fight... Like I have said before our national organizations do not have a place for the recreational boater, nor do they do enough to help secure local sites. Everyone probably knows of a horror story about someone playing with an R/C boat in an unsafe place/manner and disaster occured. If we as national organizations could address this, give the non-racer a place to come and learn how to operate their models in a safe and responsible manner, much like the AMA.. maybe.. just maybe...
What would you like to see the organizations do to help secure running sites locally? I think it would be difficult for a national organization to help local clubs secure local running sites outside of providing supportive information and perhaps a presentation. I beleive NAMBA has about 50 events per season across the nation. In them perhaps there are 20 to 30 sites. Insured sites. When making your presentation to a private owner or local government it helps to communicate the size of the organization and it's activity. It is usually easier to get people to give you the green light when they see that you are larger than a local group. When I met with the Counsel office in attempt to secure the nats, I used all of my graphic design and marketing skills to give an impressionable presenation. This got us a press release issued directly from City Hall.

Also knowing the most common reasons for denial of any proposed site would be good. Most of the time it is liability. Perhaps an official letter from the insurance company explaining the policy coverage or low amount of incidences claimed over the history of the organization may also be helpful. I always emphasize "Family Activity" with a focus on kids.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking to secure a new site. I guess the organizations could provide tips on how to secure a running site. I am looking to rekindle our local boat club with a emphasis on the hobbyist (not racers) and RTRs... probably once a month planned around the district racing. That way if beginner have an interest in racing they can do both or try it with room for them to migrate over if the choose to.

Doesen't IMPBA have a 1 day policy for people racing from another organization? Why coulden't you use that for a new boater wanting to use a sanctioned site. If it's some kid I'll pay the $10.

By the way, If anyone is passing through Southern Illinois and needs some practice time, I have a 41/2 acre and a 61/2 acre lake perfect for practice or racing.........Ya I know I'm spoiled!

KezWe were discussing this very topic at our club meeting last night. We have club members who do not race, but are required to be an IMPBA member to run on the pond when other members are there. Also, if a new guy wants to run his RTR boat at the pond, he has to become an IMPBA member to satisfy the liability insurance.

It would be nice to have a system in place to accomodate these people so they can get there "feet wet" in our hobby/sport with the help of our club members. I liked the idea of a one day waiver to help promote the hobby.

m larson has the right idea, "$300 RTR at your LHS, priceless!"

Tom
Tom,

Does it really matter for you guys in the Transom Twisters? According to KR Joye in the races and results forum, your club (Transom Twisters) is not accepting new members. How does a new guy get his feet wet when he is not even allowed to participate?

Mike

Let me explain myself. During our races the last few years, we've had alot of spectators. Some of them had interest in getting into the hobby. Then there's the question "How much does it cost". You and I know it's $1200.00 to $2000.00 for a nice Scale boat, but when you tell them that, they loose their interest. If I could say I bought the whole set-up at the LHS for $300.00, there is a lot less sticker shock.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there should be a way for a new guy to run on a sanctioned pond and get some help from more experienced boaters, such as yourself, and not be required to dish out another $50.00 just to see if he likes it.

Our club has limited membership because the site is owned by GM. It would be nice to invite everyone to come and play, but it's just not possible. We have to be very carefull how the pond is used because there are alot of people watching us.

Tom

MikeLet me explain myself. During our races the last few years, we've had alot of spectators. Some of them had interest in getting into the hobby. Then there's the question "How much does it cost". You and I know it's $1200.00 to $2000.00 for a nice Scale boat, but when you tell them that, they loose their interest. If I could say I bought the whole set-up at the LHS for $300.00, there is a lot less sticker shock.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there should be a way for a new guy to run on a sanctioned pond and get some help from more experienced boaters, such as yourself, and not be required to dish out another $50.00 just to see if he likes it.

Our club has limited membership because the site is owned by GM. It would be nice to invite everyone to come and play, but it's just not possible. We have to be very carefull how the pond is used because there are alot of people watching us.

Tom
Tom,

I understand what your saying. I always try to tell guys about all of the options in boating and where they might be able to see the types of boats they are interested in.

I think you'll find the the guys running the RTR boats are finding places to run that are not sanctioned. Once they see that they like the hobby, they search out the clubs. I was noticing this last year at Spencer Park.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing you guys. Read my reply in the other forum and I think you might understand why I sounded fired up.

I think you'll find the the guys running the RTR boats are finding places to run that are not sanctioned. Once they see that they like the hobby, they search out the clubs. I was noticing this last year at Spencer Park.
One has to wonder how much of this is because many of our clubs are not particularly easy to find. Compare the awareness of local boat clubs to local plane clubs. Go to just about any R/C shop and they can tell you where the local flying, and probably car race tracks, are located. The same can't be said about many hobby shops, unless the club has done some PR work or the hobby shop owner has already sought out clubs. The solution? We need to do a better job educating the shops about where we run and how people can get in touch with us.

One of the local hobby shops has a list of the clubs in the area, but the problem is still there. You run the risk of losing your liability insurance if a "un-insured" boater runs on your sanctioned pond. I guess if you wanted to help a new guy out, you would have to go to a non-sanctioned site.

I like the fact that we are thinking of as many ways as possible to accomodate the new boater. This is very encouraging to hear. If we are able to find a solution to the new boater insurance fees that would be great. However, there may be some challenges there. We should not allow this to hold us back. I think effecting explaining the benefits of being an insured boater should be sufficient to most. You need a license or permit to drive many motor powered vehicle to cover the cost of mishaps should they occur. If a first timer buys a $300 RTR I don't think it would be too much to ask for him to spend an additional $40 to protect himself and others from the liabilities of mishap. Especially when that $40 covers him for the whole year. There is also the $25 one time fee to consider as an option.

So it cost them $400 dollars with boat fuel batteries and insurance to get into a new hobby or they can go out and by the new Sony Playstation. Same Price accept everyone run with the boat can be a new adventure... and you don't even have to by new games. LOL.

Perhaps it would be in the interest of each club to make note of unsanctioned sites that newbies might run at. You can direct the new guys there if they do not want to pay for organization and club dues.

I am trying something new. If it works maybe you all will want to try. We have a race that we put on every year that we try to attract lots of spectators and sponsorship. We also get excellent media coverage for an R/C boating event. This year we added a RTR class and focused on local sponsorships. I have distributed flyers to the Hobby Shops in the area promoting this. We have also promoted the RTR "All Comers" class in the press release sighting the nearby hobby shops as a place to pick up an inexpensive RTR boat so new comers can come join us. If this works, the hobby shops will see an increase in sales of RTR boats and we will see some new faces.

My plan is to prove that if you have a well thought out event that possesses true marketing and promotion strategy that it can drive sales for a local dealer... Even for the boat market. If I can show how local events can bring in new customers then the local hobby shops should have reason to be more supportive of the R/C boat market. We will see what happens. You can see more details about this event at http://www.grandprixclassic.com

If anyone is interested in the results of this I will let you know.

Buy 5 RTR boats and invite the local media to a media race. You will get thousands of dollars worth of publicity and you can sell the boats afterwards (if they are still in 1 piece) Or if you are in Madison or Evansville you could invite Unlimited drivers. If you go through the APBA they will come (they need media coverage too)

Buy 5 RTR boats and invite the local media to a media race. You will get thousands of dollars worth of publicity and you can sell the boats afterwards (if they are still in 1 piece) Or if you are in Madison or Evansville you could invite Unlimited drivers. If you go through the APBA they will come (they need media coverage too)
Good Idea!

No... Great Idea!

Back