German 1/4 scale gas tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am supposed to go pick the first 3 boats (at this point) on the 14th of July. A little behind schedule, but coming none the less. More info soon.
~James
James,

That's great news!

Thanks for the update.

It's almost time to order another pair of killer servos than too.

Hey James,

Less than 3 weeks now till the Nürburgring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am supposed to go pick the first 3 boats (at this point) on the 14th of July. A little behind schedule, but coming none the less. More info soon.
~James
So probably another 4 weeks after that for the second batch of three?

Thanks for the update

Kevin

Hi Kevin, as far as I know, that will be the case. I will be having a good conversation with him when I pick up this batch. I should have a much better feel for arrival time after that. But according to him he can have 3 boats done and ready in 4 weeks.

Walt, Yes, we have our tickets in hand and are very much looking forward to the weekend. I will be taking pictures for sure.

Thanks guys, ~James

Hi Kevin, as far as I know, that will be the case. I will be having a good conversation with him when I pick up this batch. I should have a much better feel for arrival time after that. But according to him he can have 3 boats done and ready in 4 weeks.
Walt, Yes, we have our tickets in hand and are very much looking forward to the weekend. I will be taking pictures for sure.

Thanks guys, ~James
James,

Thanks for all your hard work. I know it is not easy, been there myself. Is my order in the first or second batch?

I am very excited to get the hull.

David

~James
JAMES, many thanks for your update. I'm very excited to get this Tunnel boat from Germany. Just let me know when you have in stock and ready to ship.

Carlos Luis

Hi David, I have you down as getting the 5th boat, so it will be in the second batch. Any/everyone will move forward if someone backs out, so keep that in mind.

Carlos, will do.

Thanks guys! ~James

James, I'm just checking to see what/where I might be in the delivery

line-up. I'll need the boat and the outdrive for sure.

By then you may have a better idea on the pipe.

Thanks for all your help,

Nathan

[email protected]

OK you lucky first bunch. Post some pictures as you build.

I'll have tear rag ready!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Ok Guys, I left my house yesterday at 6AM and after a very long and eventful day, complete with blow out on the Autobahn at 95mph, I returned home at midnight last night, with boats in hand....safe and sound.

Carlos, Bruce and Walt are first up for these first three boats. You guys can go ahead and make payment, and the boats will shipped out as soon as I get them boxed up and secure.

As I said in the original post, these boats are big, and I am pretty sure they will end up being shipped via US postal service "space available". This will allow me to ship larger than the normal limit of 108", but it is a pretty slow process. The space available shipping says 4-6 weeks for delivery.

If by some stroke of luck, I can get them under 108", they will be sent via priority mail and would be delivered in about a week and a half. I am very aware that this would be the prefered method, but rules are rules. At first glance, I dont see it happening. I will start packing them up tommorow at the start of the business day, and will know for sure.

Short of spending an additional $550 with DHL, there is NO OTHER OPTION for shipping. Trust me, ive looked far and wide.

If any of the above is not ok, now is the time to let me know so I can move on to the next person in line. That is for anyone who is in line to get the boats.

On another note, I had a very good meeting with Peter yesterday when we picked the boats up. He is very motivated now to get these boats done as soon as possible. He understands how many people are interested in getting them, and realizes the need for quicker building time. At this point, I will be picking up three more boats in 4 weeks, or hopefully sooner. I have been granted exclusivity with all Ossi Modellbau boats/products being sold to the US, and any orders, questions, or concerns should go through me at Oval Express Racing.

I also want to be honest here, the Euro to Dollar exchange rate, and cost of gasoline in Europe to go get the boats (750 mile round trip) is getting rediculous very quickly. The prices on the next round of boats (after the first pre-ordered 9 are shipped) will most likely go up slightly to make up for the increasing cost of doing this. When compared to the amount of money being saved going through Oval Express Racing instead of direct purchase w/shipping, the amount will be miniscule. Like I said, these first 9 boats that have been spoken for will go for the advertised cost of $590.00 shipped.

Now for the fun stuff, these boats are baddass. Peter also sells a fiberglass engine cowl. It is slightly too small for a zen 260 at the moment, but I am working with him to make it a little larger. They will be ready shortly. These boats look extremely trick with a cowling on the back. He also sells a stainless steel piece of trim that goes around the canopy/windshield area for $25.00. They already have many holes drilled in them and look very nice when mouted to the boat. I will probably construct a clear windshield and incorporate this trim piece on my personal boat when I finally put my self in line for one. They really do look awesome in scale trim. He also has a scaled down version of this boat in a 3.5cc size. I will be testing one shortly, and will consider offering them for sale as well. The price of them would be around $280.00, plus shipping. Lastly, he offers nicely printed T-shirts, embroidered polo shirts, windbreakers, and a very cool padded "sheath" that goes over the boat to protect it when being transported. Let me know if there is any interest of this stuff...

Carlos, Bruce and Walt, I will be adding this boat on the website under the "hulls" page, and you can pay securely through the site using paypal, and all Credit Cards. If you want to contact me with your Credt Card info, I can also run it manually here. If you want to pay with a check or money order, send me a PM.

If you dont want to hassle with going through the site, you can just send paypal direct to me: [email protected]

Thanks for your patience guys, they will be on the way to you sooner rather than later!

~James

Hey Robin, I forgot my camera yesterday! But, it looks EXACTLY like the big boat, only smaller. I am fairly sure its 27-28 inches long.

~James

I forgot to mention, these boats are also available in full Carbon Fiber. The price is $900.00. Not cheap, but for the guy ho wants the bling factor, this is it...

~James

Hey James,

Great news, THANKS!

Pay-Pal sent.

Although a carbon boat would be awesome but I'm looking forward to some real nice paint.Just don't know what to do yet.It looks like I have a little more time to make up my mind.

James,we ran the Gas Tunnels at the Div.4 Badger race yesterday.We had a ball and although we all seemed to have our share of problems,Bill,myself and Mark ended up in a runoff.It was a blast.Can't wait till there's more around so we can run them more often. They sure do attract attention.Seems to be lots of interested folks out there. That's a good thing. :)

Does the boat come with a radio box? Any chance of getting a pic of Peters radio box? I'm really curious what he's doing for steering and servo(s).

I would suggest to all of you out there building these boats to make sure you install about a 4oz oil reservoir to oil the lowers.Especially with the Lawless. I use a little more than 1/2 STP and the rest ATF.

When I get a chance I'll add a few pics in my gallery on how I did mine. I have approx 50-60 laps on the boat now and have never broken a flex shaft.It still looks great.After approx 40-50 laps I replaced just the Teflon tube.It was slightly worn on the outside of the bend. 1/4" of slop in the prop shaft seems to work well also.

Happy Boating everyone!

and thanks again James,Christmas is coming early this year. :D

James,

I am interested in the engine cowl, windshield and frame. Will you have them to ship with my hull on the next order? I will be running the hull FE with a Lehner 3040 attached to a lawless G Drive. So the standard cowl might work for me. Any thoughts?

David

Hi David, yes the standard cowl will work just great. I can definitely have one for you when your boat gets here. The cowls were originally designed for large FE set-up. I will also have the canopy frame, no problem. The windshield is something you will have to construct yourself, but it should be hard at all. Peter is sending me some pictures of the frame and as soon as I get it, I will post them here. I forgot my camera Saturday.

Walt, thanks for updating us on the current boats running! Im also glad you mentioned the radio box.... they dont come with a radio box. You will have to make your own. I will be making a wood box for myself, but im sure there are many ways to get around this.

~James

James,

Would you please put me down for a windshield frame too.Sounds like a neat little piece to finish off the boat.

And the radio box isn't a problem,I'm sure many have already made ot least one so far and Aeromarine also has a nice assortment if different sizes if anyone's interested.

On a O/T side note,It was officially announced yesterday that Formula 1’s United States Grand Prix won’t return to IMS next year.

:(

That sux. Wonder if it will be at a different location in the states in years to come.

Hey Walt, you got it. Im getting a bunch of them when I pick up the next boats.

That sucks about F1 not coming the states! what was the reasoning?

~James

Guys, I am in the process of wrapping these things up. I snapped a few pics including the engine cowl. A little imagination, black paint and mercury (or your favorite flavor) stickers, this thing would look really trick.

The glass work is very good, and I just realized the badging says these are boats #73, 74, and 75. The cowl seating surface is very nice, and will be easy to incorporate a mounting system of your choice.

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

These are the pics Peter just sent for the stainless steel trim pieces, and they include stainless hardware also. You have to agree this would look cool as heck with a clear windshield!

canopyframe3.jpg

canopyframe2.jpg

canopyframe1.jpg

Walt and Bruce, your boats will be heading out tommorow. Walt, I have your props finally also!

~James

I just got an email from Peter, apparently he saw my posting about the windshield frame piece and hardware and told me I had the price wrong.

It is $55.00, not $25.00 The numbers we were talking about sound very similar in German, and I misunderstood him. Sorry!!

~James

I just got an email from Peter, apparently he saw my posting about the windshield frame piece and hardware and told me I had the price wrong.
It is $55.00, not $25.00 The numbers we were talking about sound very similar in German, and I misunderstood him. Sorry!!

~James
James,

I want the engine cowl for sure and the windshield frame kit. You did not mention the price of the engine cowl, is it included?

Thanks,

David

Back