Endurance Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

I am going to start an Organazation for North American Electric Boat Endurance Racing....we are NOT competing with the IMPBA or NAMBA.

NAEBER (non profit)

No fees

Joining is free

1st event 2004 Batavia (Saturday at Lunch)

Rules.....

10 min endurance challenge

Hull: Any

Motor: Any

Battery: Any

Course: Normal + penalty buoy

Entry Fee: $0

Prizes: Cash (Robotic Power Solutions and other vendors)

Rule: Boat must run for 10 min

Web Site: Here unless Tom does not agree

Winners: Most laps

Cash payout for event....so far (maybe more) Other Vendors Contributions Welcome

1st $300

2nd $100

3rd $75

4th $50

5th $25

jstevens said:
Sounds like it is going to be a fun event....!
Jeff
I think so....thanks for supporting this idea

Anyone that's interested can post it here......

should be a challange.

thanks

Steve

Steve - That's putting your money where your mouth is! :D

I absolutely love the concept of the new, separate organization. "NAEBER" - sounds like neighbor - gotta love it!

The lure of "green" ought to shake things up some. :D

It certainly will be interesting to see what the general reaction is.

I love the "run what ya brung" anything goes concept, I think it will draw a lot of attention, especially with people that are either new to the sport (people like me), or just investigating. With all the confusing rules and specs for the organized racing classes, this could be the perfect arena for new boaters to get their feet wet (poor attempt at humor) and see what works on boats and what doesn't. Should also clearly demonstrate for newbies, the different handling characteristics of different types of hulls. I sure wish I lived close enough to come and play, I would definetly build an electric boat just to try my luck. :D

Spraguepsycho1 said:
I love the "run what ya brung" anything goes concept, I think it will draw a lot of attention, especially with people that are either new to the sport (people like me), or just investigating. With all the confusing rules and specs for the organized racing classes, this could be the perfect arena for new boaters to get their feet wet (poor attempt at humor) and see what works on boats and what doesn't. Should also clearly demonstrate for newbies, the different handling characteristics of different types of hulls. I sure wish I lived close enough to come and play, I would definetly build an electric boat just to try my luck. :D
Glad to see your comments.....

However....

It may not be cheap or easy to run 10 mins, gotta remember that one. We will offer different challanges in the future, maybe even pit stop events.

Where do you live? Batavia is near Chicago, IL. Batavia is one of the largest FE events in the USA. Make some plans to attend! B)

thanks

Steve

forresterace said:
Steve - That's putting your money where your mouth is! :D
I absolutely love the concept of the new, separate organization. "NAEBER" - sounds like neighbor - gotta love it!

The lure of "green" ought to shake things up some. :D

It certainly will be interesting to see what the general reaction is.
Thanks for the nice comments.......

As someone once said..."different is good!"

Let's do some enduro racing!

thanks

Steve

Unfortunately I live in south eastern Oregon, so a trip to Batavia would be hard to justify to my non r/c wife lol. I know what you mean about the costs that could be involved with building a competitive boat for this type of racing, while I'm new to boats, I have raced r/c trucks(both electric and nitro)and enjoy sand drag/hill racing with my quad for fun. Seems in any form of racing, it takes a fair financial commitment to become competitive, then the more technology constantly improves, more money is needed to stay in the running. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an electric race but this concept does sound interesting, especially the CA$H payout part. Things that if I were there would be:

the worry of having a 24" hull racing againt a 48" with 24 cells

Drivers crashing into or otherwise interfering with other boats during the race, no telling what some people will do for a nice purse.

The racers would more than likely have already paid to race at Batavia and are already a member of a Sanctioning body but any Liability issues could be a problem.

There might be some other issues that might arise as the time gets near but best of luck to you and the racers.

Have you ever thought of doing a Sprint boat race? I watch these on Speed TV and thought that this would be ideal for electric boats. It could be held on almost any size pond, even those that are too small for normal racing.

Pagemaster said:
Sounds interesting! You should post it on my board.
Done!

That board of yours is taking off! Any plans to enter Team CEN in the Endurance Challenge? Load her up with some batteries and bring her on down!

thanks

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Olson said:
I'm not an electric race but this concept does sound interesting, especially the CA$H payout part. Things that if I were there would be:the worry of having a 24" hull racing againt a 48" with 24 cells

Drivers crashing into or otherwise interfering with other boats during the race, no telling what some people will do for a nice purse.

The racers would more than likely have already paid to race at Batavia and are already a member of a Sanctioning body but any Liability issues could be a problem.

There might be some other issues that might arise as the time gets near but best of luck to you and the racers.

Have you ever thought of doing a Sprint boat race? I watch these on Speed TV and thought that this would be ideal for electric boats. It could be held on almost any size pond, even those that are too small for normal racing.
"the worry of having a 24" hull racing againt a 48" with 24 cells"

Guess the racers need to consider this fact.

"Drivers crashing into or otherwise interfering with other boats during the race, no telling what some people will do for a nice purse."

lap penalties as normal

"The racers would more than likely have already paid to race at Batavia and are already a member of a Sanctioning body but any Liability issues could be a problem."

Batavia has it's own insurance for the pond and is not goverened by any Sanctioning Body....."freedom"

"Have you ever thought of doing a Sprint boat race?"

http://www.bataviarc.com/ It's there

Steve

thats sounds like fun

cells in series i assume

which cells have best output and capcity at 10 amps?

Hello Steve,

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!! Ya baby, I get to run my unlimited at Batavia this year! Lets see, 46" mono, 48 cells, (24 parallel) Geared of course. Lets make some waves! lol

Paul.

Kris Flynn said:
Steve, will you be running? just curious :)
Kris
Of course I will be running.......I will not be accepting any prize money though. When I win the thing I'll give 2nd place the $300.00 ;)

Seriously.....

This will be a bunch of fun, yes, it will cost money to build this boat for this race and therefore we have added some incentive to help some.

Come on up and take the challenge.

Steve

Paul Pachmayer said:
Hello Steve,
WOOOOHOOOO!!!!! Ya baby, I get to run my unlimited at Batavia this year! Lets see, 46" mono, 48 cells, (24 parallel) Geared of course. Lets make some waves! lol

Paul.
So your going with Parallel cells ;) 3300's?

What about 9000 D NIMH cells? Something to think about.

8000 LiPoly packs, more to think about.

Does the boat need to be huge?, more to think about.

Mono or Tunnel or Hydro? More to ponder.

So I'll take this as our 2nd entry to the race and your joining NAEBER?

Members:

Steven Hill 01 racing

Jeff Stevens 02 (not racing)

Paul Pachmayer 03 racing

Joining is free.......members are encouraged to make suggestions for future race plans and classes. Who knows, maybe some other clubs will extend an invitation for us to run during their lunch break as well.

thanks,

Steve

I think the way to look at it is to try and estimate the numbers finishing the 10' and the average speed and then work backwards, for prop/motor/batteries/hull size & type. Looks like an eco type with a mild 500/600 motor should easily last the course.

Just tossing the numbers around! With 8000 mah batteries, even if you only pull 7000mah out of them they will last around 12 minutes at 35amps! Thats amazing! With that we will face motors and esc's blowing from all the heat build up!

Pagemaster said:
Just tossing the numbers around! With 8000 mah batteries, even if you only pull 7000mah out of them they will last around 12 minutes at 35amps! Thats amazing! With that we will face motors and esc's blowing from all the heat build up!
"esc's blowing"

If I run a brushed motor and speed control, my 32 cell Hughey won't blow up....

thanks

Steve

Back