Endurance Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goony Googoo,

A tinamo hari etuka pulas etuma rigatu.

Watta fahkaa him juss sahy?

Seems to be a slight phase shift in language between the higher educated and the riff raff. The good spelling and proper grammar on this board should have been your first clue Doug. ;)

Peter R.

Last edited by a moderator:
PropNut said:
Doug,
It means what it most always does, "He with the most $ wins". The boys with the $ have thrown caution to the wind to build 1/8, $1500-$2000 boats, now a challenge comes for run time, which also requires big bucks.

Clearly, a Li-poly boat will win the endurance contest. Li-poly = less weight AND longer run time AND big $.

Ray

P.S. I know, Ed ripped up the field with 05 motors this past year, but Li-poly and a Hacker 8xl in a light boat for ten minutes is gonna do one boat load of laps.
Don't be so certian on the cost of a craft to win this event. I have been talking to some airplane experts that think it can be done on a low budget.

PropNut said:
Doug,
It means what it most always does, "He with the most $ wins". The boys with the $ have thrown caution to the wind to build 1/8, $1500-$2000 boats, now a challenge comes for run time, which also requires big bucks.

Clearly, a Li-poly boat will win the endurance contest. Li-poly = less weight AND longer run time AND big $.

Ray

P.S. I know, Ed ripped up the field with 05 motors this past year, but Li-poly and a Hacker 8xl in a light boat for ten minutes is gonna do one boat load of laps.
Ed ran 16+ laps with R/C 2400 cells in 4 mins, do the math with a lipoly pack. 40 laps with 2, 05's

Steve,

So you have already conceeded the Li-poly power portion?

All the best,

Ray

would be interesting to watch...even more expensive if you blow things up due to heat and the like :)

have fun guys and spend up ;)

PropNut said:
Steve,
So you have already conceeded the Li-poly power portion?

All the best,

Ray
Conceeded?

Well, I think the battery weight might be too much for NIMH in my design. I want to try LiPoly and a smaller hull.

NIMH might work in others, 2 - 12 cell 3300 packs in parallel would work easily. If the Sanyo 4000's come out, they would work for sure. 2 packs of HR-4/5 1950 FAUPS might work as well.

I look forward to seeing what people do.

Kris Flynn said:
would be interesting to watch...even more expensive if you blow things up due to heat and the like :)
have fun guys and spend up ;)
Like people never blow anything up during other races?

from paper? just playing with figures

if one was using GP3300 (2x12 in parallel) you would have a total of 38 amps at about 1.15v

at that voltage the Hacker b50 10Xl has its max efficeincy of 92% at 37 amps and has a similar rpm/v to a 700bb - so it should have plenty of torque and more speed

If I use my Maus bullet 12 cell boat the power at 461w out at max efficiency and power to weight is better than a 700 bb setup on 12 cells

wish i had a 10xl and not a 8xl in it.....

then again a micro mono or hydro should run 10 minutes on 1950 aups

hmmm.... fun!

Guest (unregistered)

Just curious as to why you are not registered or at least logged in? It's kind of nice to know who we are speaking to (for quite some time now)

You seem to be quite knowledgeable and I have a feeling we all know you. Hey, I'm just a curious kinda guy. :)

Let's see:

2 X 12 Cell 3300s: 3.5 lbs.

Hacker B50/10XL + Controller: 1.0 lbs

Maus Bullet Hull: 1.0 lbs

Hardware 0.5 lbs

Very conservative weights, no electronics, and 6.0 lbs already.

10 minutes? :lol:

Would that hull even float with an overall weight greater than 6 lbs?

KW

My first try would go like this

Aveox 27/39/1 3124 rpm/volt (161gr) $150

TP8000-2S4P Thunder Power "Dynamic Power" LiPo Electric Flight Pack

8000 mAh, 2S4P cells (7.4V), 13 gauge wires

Rating: 5C Max Avg. Discharge

Output:7.4V Nominal, 8200mAh

Applications: Sub C replacement for 3D aircraft and helicopters

Dimension: 50mm x 125mm x 28mm (313gr) $159.95 NOW SHIPPING

Aveox SL-18 ESC (48gr) $119

The Hull (400gr RTR less above) $80.00

Assuming you have radio and Li-poly charger the cost is $510. The wieght of the RTR hull is 922gr or just over 2lbs

Run time with a 632 prop should be around 15 min at 28mph

What do ya think?

LOU

How about a

700bb turbo spinning a 45mm carbon prop

24.5" selfrighting hull

8000 mAh, 5S4P cells (18.5V), 13 gauge wires

Dimension: 50mm x 305mm x 28mm (772gr)

LOU said:
My first try would go like this
Aveox 27/39/1 3124 rpm/volt (161gr) $150

TP8000-2S4P Thunder Power "Dynamic Power" LiPo Electric Flight Pack

8000 mAh, 2S4P cells (7.4V), 13 gauge wires

Output:7.4V Nominal, 8200mAh

Applications: Sub C replacement for 3D aircraft and helicopters

Dimension: 50mm x 125mm x 28mm (313gr) $159.95 NOW SHIPPING

Aveox SL-18 ESC (48gr) $119

The Hull (400gr RTR less above) $80.00

Assuming you have radio and Li-poly charger the cost is $510. The wieght of the RTR hull is 922gr or just over 2lbs

Run time with a 632 prop should be around 15 min at 28mph

What do ya think?

LOU
Nice setup.....close to what I am thinking except....I am going twin 05's and high voltage 6S 2or3P...Tunnel Hull (not sure which) I would like to have a 24-26 inch wooden Williams tunnel.

Not going to use Thunder Power cells, looking for something that will do 10C

Your point is...it will NOT cost a fortune to do this.

thanks

Steve

I am going twin 05's and high voltage
Steve I can appreciate your loyalty to the 05's but IMHO brushless is going to rule this Race.

I'd like to see some 10C packs too. The batts are the only thing stopping me right now, well that and cash flow :D I have a 8L and Castle controler that would add a few onces to the setup but then all I need is the batts and charger. I'll probly test the 8L, Castle setup first and see what kind of run time I get with 6-3300 cells.

Just not ready to jump into Li-Poly yet. Its hard to beleive someone hasn't tried Li-poly in a boat yet. Are Boat guys just to CHEAP or BROKE :rolleyes:

LOU

The Cheap Son of a :p

Pagemaster said:
Will you have 10c cells Steve?
For sale? Not likly unless some safety devices are built. I feel that I can purchase cells and packs to use myself for this, but I don't want to be selling them. These big packs can catch on fire if you do not know what your doing. I suggest that you read up on them.

thanks

Steve

I think I was the first "guest", but definately not the knowledgeable one Mr Forester :eek: Apologies for my lack of netiquette, those cookie wotnots weren't working on the new board.

Lou: There are continuous 10C rated LiPo's available. See www.tanicpacks.com or for bare cells only (need aluminium solder for pack constuction) www.cheapbatterypacks.com at cheaper prices.

Latest posts

Back