Discussion on lowering nitro %

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious, why would restricting nitro be such an issue? IIRC, the EU has limits, more so by circumstances than by choice. Then again, when you look at the NAMBA rule book, gas in limited to 100 octane for "G" class engines(Zen, US, Kawasaki, Chung Yang, etc) and 117 octane for "GX" class engines. There is also a process in place for disputes over fuel being legal or not. Seems to me that the same dispute process could be used for nitro as laid out for gas. Just a thought

Enforcing a nitro limit rule would be nearly impossible, a simple hydrometer won't tell the story because of the influence of different types and amounts of oils. Samples would have to be taken from a boat's tank after a run and sent to a lab.

IMHO fuel costs are a small fraction of running nitro boats, I too can run a plug for many gallons. To me a plug is like a fuse, if I burn that I'm burning other more expensive stuff (piston & sleeve).

Facts are that nitro boat racing is becoming a niche sport with only a few big well attended races a year, people in general just don't want to put in the time and effort to run well.

Society has become instant gratification, plug 'n play. :(

Last edited:
Everyone is talking about enforcing rules.

What about discussing making power using less nitro.?
People can figure out how to do it that is all part of the "fun".
Just knowing it can be done is enough to energize people to "do the work" and figure it out.
If people want to share the results of the hard work they put in to to get there that is up to them.....

BOOM!.. TK is DEAD ON.. COST IS NOT THE ISSUE!

Remember back in the 60s and 70s when a servo was 40 to 60 bucks.... and fuel was 12 bucks a gallon.. now.. servos are 12 bucks and fuel is 40 - 60 bucks.. sure we piss away the fuel.. but MONEY is not the issue here..

I have been told I am "Drinking the cool aid" for saying this.. BUT.. whatever!.. I like Grape! so what.

Your TIME IS BEING waisted on tech.. you are becoming... ARE... a CYBORG BECAUSE of your phone... the rest of the garbage is Facebook, you-tube and all that crap very few can keep there noses out of... why spent money on work when you can buy a phone..

Ewew... did you know you can buy a drone that flys itself!.. yep... Ewew... that sounds ^#%#%#$ LIKE FUN! LOL.. B O R I N I N G.... Great as a "tool" but as a "hobby" that you can have risk and reward and time into.. Hahhhhhh LOL.. so funny to me... but that IS ALSO YOUR competition!

Now from BLAMMMO. The RC boat you program and race... includes, Ludacris speed, crash avoidance and on board slow mo video! WOW.... all at a safe distance as you sit in your car and social distance from others.. WOW.. just think of the rest you will get as you sleep lap after lap! Get yours NOW!

Grim

Everyone is talking about enforcing rules.

What about discussing making power using less nitro.?
People can figure out how to do it that is all part of the "fun".
Just knowing it can be done is enough to energize people to "do the work" and figure it out.
If people want to share the results of the hard work they put in to to get there that is up to them.....
Yes it can and is being done.

Again, tipping the can is easy,,,not tipping it and still remaining competitive... takes work.

BOOM!.. TK is DEAD ON.. COST IS NOT THE ISSUE!

Remember back in the 60s and 70s when a servo was 40 to 60 bucks.... and fuel was 12 bucks a gallon.. now.. servos are 12 bucks and fuel is 40 - 60 bucks.. sure we piss away the fuel.. but MONEY is not the issue here..

I have been told I am "Drinking the cool aid" for saying this.. BUT.. whatever!.. I like Grape! so what.

Your TIME IS BEING waisted on tech.. you are becoming... ARE... a CYBORG BECAUSE of your phone... the rest of the garbage is Facebook, you-tube and all that crap very few can keep there noses out of... why spent money on work when you can buy a phone..

Ewew... did you know you can buy a drone that flys itself!.. yep... Ewew... that sounds ^#%#%#$ LIKE FUN! LOL.. B O R I N I N G.... Great as a "tool" but as a "hobby" that you can have risk and reward and time into.. Hahhhhhh LOL.. so funny to me... but that IS ALSO YOUR competition!

Now from BLAMMMO. The RC boat you program and race... includes, Ludacris speed, crash avoidance and on board slow mo video! WOW.... all at a safe distance as you sit in your car and social distance from others.. WOW.. just think of the rest you will get as you sleep lap after lap! Get yours NOW!

Grim

Hell, why not just sit at home on the couch, load up your best "race" program... put it in a email and send it in to the new IMPBA cyber race simulator ... the competition will all be loaded into the heats, and the race results will be emailed back to you!!
All for 49.95 a year...
Think about it... no travel, no hotel, no standing out in the heat or cold or rain.

And instant gratification!!!!

And for an additional 29.95, we will throw in the "multipoint nitro percentage calculator" where you can select up to 0-100% nitro for your cyber motors that utilize those
"unobtainium" rods and pistons and cranks that spin on frictionless bearings!! Dial in those compression ratio's quick! Cause these are only available for a limited time!!

Last edited:
Food for thought.

Nitro is running about US$40 a gallon these days so 60% fuel has about $24 worth of nitro. Cut back to 30% and you're saving a whole $12 a gallon!

Cut back to no nitro at all and you might as well just run gas... :D
here in the uk outlets are selling Nitro to those who are licenced upto and above £70 ($96) !!!!! gal CRAZY RIGHT ....

Cringe....

What next mandatory 2.4 radio systems?

Keep pushing away current members in hopes of gaining new membership is not a good way to go about this guys. This has been stated by myself and few others on here recently, the biggest thing we can do to grow our hobby is Technology at and away from the pond, not trying to cut cost with new rules that will push away few of us left...

In reality of this discussion sounds like many of you are already lowering your nitro % content and are just as fast which is great for you but not everyone is just going to willing want to do that, this is still the USA right? If someone wants to run 50-60-70-80% nitro well then by God they have the freedom to do that just the same way someone can run 40%...

Added rules, classes, and politics have hurt this hobby badly over the last 20 years not costs!!! Doesn't seem like many of you understand that and keep wanting to reinvent the wheel with more rules,regulations, and additional classes.

Danny by no means is this directed at you just FYI!

Happy boating see yall in ATL 4 weeks from today 😃🏁💥

Food for thought.

Nitro is running about US$40 a gallon these days so 60% fuel has about $24 worth of nitro. Cut back to 30% and you're saving a whole $12 a gallon!

Cut back to no nitro at all and you might as well just run gas... :D
Nitro is not the most expensive part of R/C fuel. Klotz is currently listed as $57/gal on their website.

Cringe....

What next mandatory 2.4 radio systems?

Keep pushing away current members in hopes of gaining new membership is not a good way to go about this guys. This has been stated by myself and few others on here recently, the biggest thing we can do to grow our hobby is Technology at and away from the pond, not trying to cut cost with new rules that will push away few of us left...

In reality of this discussion sounds like many of you are already lowering your nitro % content and are just as fast which is great for you but not everyone is just going to willing want to do that, this is still the USA right? If someone wants to run 50-60-70-80% nitro well then by God they have the freedom to do that just the same way someone can run 40%...

Added rules, classes, and politics have hurt this hobby badly over the last 20 years not costs!!! Doesn't seem like many of you understand that and keep wanting to reinvent the wheel with more rules,regulations, and additional classes.

Danny by no means is this directed at you just FYI!

Happy boating see yall in ATL 4 weeks from today 😃🏁💥
And I agree. I think what would be just as important(if not more so) is to keep our hobby/sport under the government's radar. When you look at what's going on with the FAA and R/C aircraft, the last thing we need is to attract the kind of attention that is being shown due to the some of the AMA's ill-advised actions and those that think FPV and BVLOS give the operator the right to do whatever they want. If we, as boaters, don't stay under the radar, we could be looking at being regulated out of existence, something those that fly are already fearing and, if that does happen, it won't be a matter of how much nitro is in the fuel as much as finding a place to run that won't get us fined or arrested

Sooooooo (REDIRECT) We have seen the results of drinking the contents of a Lava lamp and in turn have gone way off "into the weeds. I have to ask.....

What is the best keyboard/mouse combo for keyboard racing? Not asking for secret details on set up, wrist/arm braces etc. Just a good starting point. Is using copious amounts of controlled substances allowed? Would that be considered performance enhancing?

I Must also comment on the Gas boat driver ability comment(s) Gas racers are not inherently better because of anything but doing more laps and driving for longer periods of time. . A gas boat can run MUCH longer allow for more time to screw up and develop skills. Much less maintenance more time on the water.

For those lacking a sense of humor, or who take themselves wayyyy too serious amongst fellow boaters. you may hurt yourself emotionally or even physically, conjuring hate as a result of this post.

Also congrats to those responsible for turning Danny's thread into a Fecal Festival.

Pink Dresses are available for purchase after "the show"

How Easily we forget -
OKRA (outboard keyboard racers association ) Was officially formed in May of 2014 - 😉
Thats an inboard CMB 45 on a Dell 426 with a tuned pipe- GET YA SOME !!!!
Hell , I won the nats 3 years in a row 😅 😅

Attachments

• 1616701366751.png
    1616701366751.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Coming from a younger generation (22), and every time this idea gets posed no one seems to pick up on it....
Tell me where I can point nearly anyone my age to get into this hobby without stumbling into toxic reactions to discussions like this or to even get a boat? Zipp Kits and Novarossi USA, perfect. How do I build a wood kit? Where do I get props? Reputable nitro dealers? What do you call the tube the shaft goes in, how do I install it.... I can continue.

I think the problem with growing the hobby many fail to recognize is that this generation isn’t the one raised on magazines with step by step processes on how to build, nor is it the one that calls in orders. As of now, if I want to get a friend involved (without using personal connections from racing), I’d have to tell them to order a motor from Ron at Novarossi, order a boat from Zipp, order servos from Horizon, order a prop that ISNT ready to run from....? (I know Servos are available through Zipp, as well as props, but if we’re talking racing then most likely the prop won’t be sufficient compared to the $$$ custom work we all are getting).
Trend here is I can’t point them to a single source, or a renowned reputable source, or even one that is advertised to a point they seem reputable. The hobby is HEAVILY in the 20th century still as far as obtaining resources to be competitive. No knock to any current distributors, because we appreciate the effort you all put in to keep us afloat, but I know my brother has went on here in previous threads and offered to build websites and advertising for RC boating brands with no responses.

You want to grow the hobby and keep it younger? It starts with developing campaigns and accessibility to those outside of our stratosphere. At this moment, it would be comical to think that electric won’t be the dominant boat style if current trends continue. I can find plenty of electric boats, ready to go, with reputable names attached from the general commerce world and hobby world.

I’d recommend our distributors start looking at dominant sales markets for those in the 16-35 range. Say what you will about Amazon, but if we could get start getting shops for engines and boats popping up on there with correct advertising and adequate resources, trends would undoubtedly push back.

Nitro is not the most expensive part of R/C fuel. Klotz is currently listed as $57/gal on their website.
Ebay 49.20 to the door gust got one this week.
5 gal pail of 100% nitro $260 from TORCO direct.
$60 to ship it to me in FL.
Methanol $2.65 gal from local speed shop. I get it fresh as I need it.

Last edited:
How many gallons of fuel does this make ?
at what % nitro ?
Some one posted a calculator on one of the treads.
I use Marty's engine software.
At 50% it will make 10 gals.
Comes out to about $37 a gallon.
It is not the savings it is knowing what I have as far as the oil content.
That and the flexibility of changing oil and nitro % around as I need to.
I only mix what I will use in one day testing.

Last edited:
Back