Discussion on lowering nitro %

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some one posted a calculator on one of the treads.
I use Marty's engine software.
cool... so it's not really 50% by volume then...

I have never mixed my own fuel, but have been thinking about trying it..
Yes it is 50% by volume. 1/2 gal of nitro x 10 = 5 gals.
There is 1/2 gal of nitro in 1 gal of 50% nitro fuel.

Why is everyone so freaked out about nitro being shut down? Is there something that is happening in the government that states that it will be banned soon ?

On the Torco website it says you can buy up to 30 gallons of nitro, without filling out the information form.

All the talk about limiting this and that and then having the " Club" hand out fuel etc . we can barely get races going due to lack of personell much less policing fuel . I'm no help as I just don't have any time on my plate and don't run or test anywhere but I still like to race .

Bill,
Can you elaborate on how people are cheating?
Using larger engines than the class allows using
Bill,
Can you elaborate on how people are cheating?
Boat wise I have personally seen guys switch a "sport engine" out after winning a few rounds just in case they were to get etched. Also oversized engines for the class . Trying to skirt the rules for the sport class. These were all on Nitro boats. As for the rc planes mandatory fuel was pumped out while higher percentage fuel was pumped in . Specific brand/ size props were heated up and twisted to add more or less pitch. Cheaters are out there, however they are really only cheating themselves.

The PRESIDENT of NAMBA has already posted on this thread that this has already been tried and failed. No conjecture, THEY ALREADY DID IT!!! And it failed. Why are we still talking about what “might” happen if this is implemented when it has already been done???!!!

Mixing your own fuel is not difficult. Measure carefully. Keep everything clean. Use a fine metal filter. Mix the fuel outdoors. Store your components in a cool. dark area. Use compatible containers with tight sealing lids.

To stay consistent, I mix in 5 gallon batches. The 5 gallon container is then rolled around several minutes for mixing. I then decant the 5 gallon container into one gallon fuel jugs. The fuel will be consistent from one jug to the next. As long as I maintain the same recipe season after season, my fuel does not change.

Fuel stored over the winter should be filtered using a fine metal filter to remove any castor oil lumps. Over time, a small percentage of the castor oil will settle out and make tiny little lumps that can affect your needle setting.

However, because nitro is so heavy, handling 5 or 10 gallon containers of nitro is tough on the back.

There are several good fuel suppliers that make consistent fuel. Try to stay with the same fuel supplier as best you can so that you always have the same mixture from one fuel jug to the next.

Switching from one supplier to another can mean different oil, different percentages of oil, different ways of measuring the components, and different engine performance.

Mixing your own fuel is not difficult. Measure carefully. Keep everything clean. Use a fine metal filter. Mix the fuel outdoors. Store your components in a cool. dark area. Use compatible containers with tight sealing lids.

To stay consistent, I mix in 5 gallon batches. The 5 gallon container is then rolled around several minutes for mixing. I then decant the 5 gallon container into one gallon fuel jugs. The fuel will be consistent from one jug to the next. As long as I maintain the same recipe season after season, my fuel does not change.

Fuel stored over the winter should be filtered using a fine metal filter to remove any castor oil lumps. Over time, a small percentage of the castor oil will settle out and make tiny little lumps that can affect your needle setting.

However, because nitro is so heavy, handling 5 or 10 gallon containers of nitro is tough on the back.

There are several good fuel suppliers that make consistent fuel. Try to stay with the same fuel supplier as best you can so that you always have the same mixture from one fuel jug to the next.

Switching from one supplier to another can mean different oil, different percentages of oil, different ways of measuring the components, and different engine performance.

Good post, we have been mixing for about 20 years now virtually the same way you described above. Currently mixing right around $32-$34 a gallon for 50% nitro using KL101 oil @ 20%. 10 years ago our cost was around $28-$30 a gallon of same blend. Not much has changed price wise in the past decade...

I think limiting percentages is a fair topic considering the moves of the EU regarding nitro and a new administration in office here in the U.S., but the root of the issue is getting people involved. An “ease-of-use” mandate regarding nitro percentage goes nowhere when moves still aren’t being made to attract new populations.
In the age of social media, why are our governing organizations either not found on these platforms or extremely limited in interactions?
I understand most of our leaders as far as equipment and organizations are older crowds, but running a Facebook page is fairly easy once you get it started and it’s a matter of maintaining FaceTime, stay active with videos, content, etc. there’s plenty of work done by racers that could be compiled into daily posts without having to need “new”content for awhile...

I will add, I’m quite busy with school and work but if there’s anyway I can help get guys started I will offer my services to at the least get you started, no money involved. I do not have the time currently to totally run a social media page but I can get you all started and offer suggestions along the way.
Jerry Crowther has done a phenomenal job posting his boat building updates on a variety of RC boating pages. Daily/ weekly updates of new hulls have paid off for him, almost certain no/ very few small time builder is pumping out his workload currently.

Can I add something else?

When a newby comes along with some hurtin' POS they picked up at a yard sale or whatever try to get them on the water with what they have for the least amount of dough possible.

Telling someone they're wasting their time and money on their new pride and joy is the quickest way to lose them. If they get the bug they'll figure it out quick enough if they want to race, most guys just want to go around in circles and have fun. :)

Last edited:
Ebay 49.20 to the door gust got one this week.
5 gal pail of 100% nitro $260 from TORCO direct.
$60 to ship it to me in FL.
Methanol $2.65 gal from local speed shop. I get it fresh as I need it.
Not so fast Dave none of these ship to Alaska or Hawaii and for use it’s double and even triple the cost for the 48 states . And that planes cars and boat fuel . Our biggest problem is we can’t run in the city limits anymore over sound and last summer our choice pond 50+ miles away is being targeted for extinction over noise in the shot 4 month period that we have 60gal of 60% just to go race in Florida Carolina extra . Club memberships for the younger crowd can even get to the POND !!! In 1978 I happed bye a lake on my BMX bike and heard them racing checked it out and bam fish on went to the hobby shop got a kit built it and found out how the hell do I get it to the lake . My dad talked me into buying a canoe and we went 2 times game OVER old man went fff iii sss hhinnng it had nothing to do with the cost of ANY OF IT . I went back to cars planes rockets it took 20years to get back to boats I spent thought years racing monster trucks and mud racers and wheelers after the cost of the real stuff RC anything is Cheep!!! I had devastating crash and loosing my wife’s support I chose to get back into boats so I can go as fast as I possibly can and I’m not in it when it crashes . Soon gas nitro or electric won’t be able to be run because of the nature fue fue’s and legislation against sounds of any sort. In shot if you can’t walk across the street and throw in at the local pond you’ll never increase your membership not all of us have a mentor to do it with.

^^^ Fue fue's - yes indeed Charles. Things I do or have done in the past that collide with fue fue mentality: Dirt Bikes, 4x4 Off Roading, Racing Go Karts and finally, Skeet 5 Stand and Sporting Clays, conceal carry. That just about covers it all. I see them whine about the noise of shotguns from an outdoor range that's miles away on the neighborhood website - and it's only on Saturdays and then only heard when the wind is just right.

There are a select group of moron's in this world that can't bear to see anyone having fun if it's not fue fue fun had in a dog park or bicycle trail.

Since the dawn of time the archaeologist's tell us great civilizations have come and gone as were the dinosaurs - in our age the government has it all figured out, they can control our destiny. Simply eliminate MMGW and everything will be fine - after all one of the finest minds in history plainly stated that "our air conditioners are the greatest threat to mankind".

Whiners will whine their way to total control and restrictions on the percentages of nitromethane in model boat fuel is not going to change that.

EDIT: Cuban Cigars

Last edited:
Not so fast Dave none of these ship to Alaska or Hawaii and for use it’s double and even triple the cost for the 48 states . And that planes cars and boat fuel . Our biggest problem is we can’t run in the city limits anymore over sound and last summer our choice pond 50+ miles away is being targeted for extinction over noise in the shot 4 month period that we have 60gal of 60% just to go race in Florida Carolina extra . Club memberships for the younger crowd can even get to the POND !!! In 1978 I happed bye a lake on my BMX bike and heard them racing checked it out and bam fish on went to the hobby shop got a kit built it and found out how the hell do I get it to the lake . My dad talked me into buying a canoe and we went 2 times game OVER old man went fff iii sss hhinnng it had nothing to do with the cost of ANY OF IT . I went back to cars planes rockets it took 20years to get back to boats I spent thought years racing monster trucks and mud racers and wheelers after the cost of the real stuff RC anything is Cheep!!! I had devastating crash and loosing my wife’s support I chose to get back into boats so I can go as fast as I possibly can and I’m not in it when it crashes . Soon gas nitro or electric won’t be able to be run because of the nature fue fue’s and legislation against sounds of any sort. In shot if you can’t walk across the street and throw in at the local pond you’ll never increase your membership not all of us have a mentor to do it with.
Now shall I start the muffled pipe/noise regulations thread? 😥

Back