Charleston Model Boaters, 2007 National Outboard Tunnel Championships

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sport 20 (Old stock class but not called stock anymore) - 33 entered
John
Just for clarification, we (CMB) never called this class "stock" and nor was it implied to be a "stock" class. It has always been "sport". Big difference between the two. Cant wait to whip up on some full mod boats with my sport entry! I love correcting John, granted it doesnt happen often, but I have to make it last when the opportunity arises!

PS, 14 hours on a plane SUCKS! I must really love to boat racing.... Kris, I feel for you. Sleeping pills man.....

~James

Well just for your information, oh high and mighty one (IMPBA OB Director), you may be surprised how many inquiries we/I have received about the "SPORT" class and what it is. Many still refer to the 20/40 Tunnel class as the MOD class and the Sport as the old STOCK class, even through it is clearly not. It was for their benefit I listed it that way. With time they will understand the correct names and references. Corrected me? Not yet!

Me thinks you sucked in too much JP-5 fuel during the 14 hour trip. Saturday, you can purge your system with NITRO! Glad to see you arrived safely. Now the second leg of the trip tomorrow.

That is an unreal number for this race. Where are the critics just a couple of years ago that were so adamant that tunnel racing was dead. The CMB club is truly honored to be able to put on a race that defies the critics and it is our intention of making this an annual race as we have the past 3 years.

TUNNEL is FOREVER! B) ...u guys rock!!

jul

Although some of the classes are cancelled I hope that some of these boats will give a quick demo out there ( friday afternoon ? ) like the big tunnels and the FE ones. Would just love to see them run.

Besides I need some info on these boats.

Do all travel save and we will see eachother out there and

were are on the clock..........

Ronald.

Ronald, My FE tunnel will definately be making a few shake down runs. I didnt bring it for nothing! Besides, when I fired it up on the bench it sounded like a turbo jet on crack. And I have NEVER seen a prop turn that fast on an Outboard!

John, its ok, my Wife also has a hard time admitting she is wrong on occasion. :D

Jul, you said it dude!

~James

Wow...

Congrats to the CMB club for there efforts in making this race happen..

I KNOW for a FACT..... we have just scratched the surface on particapaton..

Change is in the wind.. and it blowing a gail.. mark my words

Grimracer

I will be providing text and photos for an article on the event for RC Boat Modeler. Matt Boyd, of RC Boat Modeler, was very interested in coverage. The challenge now will be for JD to remember to bring along his camera. :unsure:

JD

BTW - I think Grim meant "it is blowing a gale" in his previous post.

Hey Dunny, don't forget your camera:)

See you Tuesday night at the airport, have a safe trip!

Rw

I will be providing text and photos for an article on the event for RC Boat Modeler. Matt Boyd, of RC Boat Modeler, was very interested in coverage. The challenge now will be for JD to remember to bring along his camera. :unsure:
JD

Yo,

I wont be bringing my FE Tunnel anymore...gave it a run this morning and I wasn't happy with how it was handeling and such...The design and setup of the hull are too green and need a little more fine tuning before i take it anywhere...plus a little equipment malfunction which will only leave me with 1 good battery pack LOL.

I was going to bing it up until this morning, but I guess racing 3 boats will be enough! Plus James will have his FE there to show us what they can do ;-)

Kris

48 Hours

Last edited by a moderator:
JD

JD, BRING YOUR CAMERA!!! I will be taking photos as well, as I plan on doing an article for the Roostertail. That is great news that RCBM is considering an article about the tunnel race!

Kris, yesterday I made two laps with the FE boat and the batteries were at 140 degrees! I am going to have to do some serious depropping.... It didnt impress me quite like I wanted, but I think it has the potential. The boat handles great, just not quite as fast as I would've liked. The motor and speedo did just fine temp wise, but I want to go faster!

These guys better whatch out for my mod and sport entry though, they are smoking. The first time the Villain Extreme hit the water was unbelieveable, rarely do you get a tunnel that doesnt have to be touched....

The twin is extremely fast and reliable, but the hull has handling issues. The same issues as Ive had with it since day one, even with a single engine setup.. Not sure if its gonna make it.... but man does it sound sweet! I have some work to do.

~James

See you guys soon!

Yo,
I wont be bringing my FE Tunnel anymore...gave it a run this morning and I wasn't happy with how it was handeling and such...The design and setup of the hull are too green and need a little more fine tuning before i take it anywhere...plus a little equipment malfunction which will only leave me with 1 good battery pack LOL.

I was going to bing it up until this morning, but I guess racing 3 boats will be enough! Plus James will have his FE there to show us what they can do ;-)

Kris

48 Hours

Understand. Gabe had his FE running yesterday and was going pretty well, including one time the batteries got a little hot. Still plenty to give a good demo.

Can tell you that for not racing for a full year and coming up with a ton of new boats and such, Gabe's stuff is running exceptionally well except for his twin and he will get it worked out this week. Look out in the Sport B class - his is absolutely cranking. Yesterday was a little peek inside the door and this weekend should be smoking for racing.

FINAL RACE TALLY FOR THE CMB NATIONAL TUNNEL CHAMPIONSHIPS:

RACERS - 49

BOATS ENTERED - 151

Countries represented are Australia, Bermuda, Canada, Germany, Netherlands and USA. Quite an achievement for a race in just it's third year.

Long range weather forecast on weather.com (use zip of 29488) is the following:

Fri: Sunny, 81 high

Sat: Mostly sunny, 82 high

Sun: Mostly sunny, 79 high

Lows each night in the mid 50's

If you have not made your motel reservations at the Ramada Inn in Walterboro, do so immediately. Controlled open water starts Friday at 9 am and will go until 7 pm. Driver's meeting starts at 8 am each day.

The weather report sounds much better than what's happening out this way - drizzle and 50 degrees. And, I still need to get the lawn mowed before leaving this evening. :angry:

JD

FINAL RACE TALLY FOR THE CMB NATIONAL TUNNEL CHAMPIONSHIPS:
RACERS - 49

BOATS ENTERED - 151

Countries represented are Australia, Bermuda, Canada, Germany, Netherlands and USA. Quite an achievement for a race in just it's third year.

Long range weather forecast on weather.com (use zip of 29488) is the following:

Fri: Sunny, 81 high

Sat: Mostly sunny, 82 high

Sun: Mostly sunny, 79 high

Lows each night in the mid 50's

Hey John You need to enter me and Mitch SR in 40 fast lap we where in there but now we not :blink: . Some body tryin to pay you off. :ph34r:

If you have not made your motel reservations at the Ramada Inn in Walterboro, do so immediately. Controlled open water starts Friday at 9 am and will go until 7 pm. Driver's meeting starts at 8 am each day.

Now why would the Atwells want to be in the fast lap competition?? :lol: New props?? Rocket engine mounted in the rear of the boat?? John, if they want to be in 40 fast lap then let then run an 80 or a 1.0 cu in. outboard in it. That might make up for their driving. Can't really use the words Atwell and fast lap in the same statement. Let them enter and pay to humor themselves. :lol: And hey Tonya, how dare you call Aunt B a gorilla!!

Ohooo good one mark.. You forgot one thing thou.. The disney gangs costumes are going to get in the way of seeing what they are doing..

Peter pan is a puss and tinker bell is a slut..

Grim

Ho Hum, The Big Bad Wolf is coming locked and loaded, looking at the stats I know of 5-6 rockets that will be arriving from the Disney State, By the way, Attwells Boat sounded pretty good over the Nextel last weekend,Heard he had some help driving too, there were no bouys!, Yes , Hearl and his Little Dog Otto ,maybe even have the creator of TUNNEL BOAT MAFIA with us,Autographs in the afternoon, please form a single line.Arriving Friday AM after a good breakfast at our favorite little resturant.Grim hope ya'll bringing some cheese with you for that long whiney trip back Home. Repeat After Me (Damm Those Were Some FAST Tunnels!!)Race entries are over whelming,christ, next year gonna hafta do three days. This is the shizit WIN OR LOSE WE WILL BUILD MEMORIES

Steve Hearl

The fast lap entrants list is being rechecked now. Yep, the Atwell's are being relisted, but Mark has a good point. Just drags it on.

If this race continues to grow and we fully expect it to do so, a 3rd day or dropping the fast lap competition may be needed to take care of the additional entries. In one year, we have gone from 92 to 151 boats entered and the CMB club is rather humbled by the great response from the racers. This race has just a few gas boats with no classes in the two FE classes and none in 1/4 scale either. If they had better or some reasonable numbers we will be in the 175 range without any growth in the other classes. Plenty of room in the offshore and open classes in future races. 200+ entries next year is NOT beyond reach by any means.

Then the decision, a tough one, to be made is do we race with a cap, go to a 3rd day (with possibly 5 rounds) or drop the fast lap? I know my vote. For those that are coming to the race this weekend we would like to hear your comments.

If I understand correctly, Id vote for you to drop the fast lap comp. and stay at two days for the race. Going to three days I think would make it harder on some to get off long enough.

Can't wait till Saturday!

Mark

Back