Charleston Fall Nationals Race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norman you gonna be at the pond next sunday? Im hopin to finally get to test my rigger... Matt should have his thunderboat ready to run next weekend too.

Entry update as of today:

21 entries received with 76 boats so far. Many gas and tunnels boats have entered.

Don't delay in getting your entries in as we are now 1/3rd the way to the race limit of 200 boats.

We have added the RTR Hydro class to the race at request of several racers.

Class sponsorships for the trophies are also needed. Cost is $65 for a set. Sponsor 2 classes and you get free entry for the race. Contact me for the sponsorship for and I'll send by e mail. We have about 10 classes sponsored 5 of them gas classes.

Guys,
Apparently there has been questions raised by some, I suspect from the old IMPBA guard, of why the CMB club has chosen to use the term "National" in association with our fall race. So for all to know, and to stop all the e mails to me personally, it has been done for the following reasons:.........

It is time for a change at the top of IMPBA. Enough of the stuff that forces conflict, and enough of this type leadership. IMPBA needs to build on its strengths rather than institute stupid rules that make people mad and divide the membership. IMPBA used to have clubs in competition to host the Internats, now we have to beg for someone to put it on. We used to have the Nats set for several years in a row.

I have been on the IMPBA Board and served for many terms and I have seen Great leadership and Terrible leadership.

Now living in Florida, I run NAMBA Events all the time. The DIFFERENCE between IMPBA and NAMBA in simple terms: The leadership in NAMBA is from the bottom up and in IMPBA it is from the top down. We NEVER have any problem with the NAMBA National Orginization, they let us run our races and don't do the stupid stuff that IMPBA is now doing from the top down.

Time to LEARN Guys...... ONLY the basic rules should be set and the regional competitors and Directors will refine them to their local liking.

Marty Davis
Marty is exactly right as it relates to NAMBA. I'll admit that I have not been involved with IMPBA long enough to speak to how things are managed, but as it relates to this issues of race title I'm confident that NAMBA would not take issue with it. Of course I'd defer to Al Waters and the NAMBA Board for the final word, but NAMBA traditionally does not have a problem with "Nats" or "Nationals" being used in the race title under NAMBA sanction hence the reason the WinterNats in Orlando maintains the name of that event. I would suspect that they may take a different stance with how the acronym NAMBA would be used in a race title as they prefer to reserve that for non-district events such as the Nationals, but other than that "Nats", "Nationals", "Championships", or combinations of the same shouldn't be a problem.

Guys,
Apparently there has been questions raised by some, I suspect from the old IMPBA guard, of why the CMB club has chosen to use the term "National" in association with our fall race. So for all to know, and to stop all the e mails to me personally, it has been done for the following reasons:.........

It is time for a change at the top of IMPBA. Enough of the stuff that forces conflict, and enough of this type leadership. IMPBA needs to build on its strengths rather than institute stupid rules that make people mad and divide the membership. IMPBA used to have clubs in competition to host the Internats, now we have to beg for someone to put it on. We used to have the Nats set for several years in a row.

I have been on the IMPBA Board and served for many terms and I have seen Great leadership and Terrible leadership.

Now living in Florida, I run NAMBA Events all the time. The DIFFERENCE between IMPBA and NAMBA in simple terms: The leadership in NAMBA is from the bottom up and in IMPBA it is from the top down. We NEVER have any problem with the NAMBA National Orginization, they let us run our races and don't do the stupid stuff that IMPBA is now doing from the top down.

Time to LEARN Guys...... ONLY the basic rules should be set and the regional competitors and Directors will refine them to their local liking.

Marty Davis
Marty is exactly right as it relates to NAMBA. I'll admit that I have not been involved with IMPBA long enough to speak to how things are managed, but as it relates to this issues of race title I'm confident that NAMBA would not take issue with it. Of course I'd defer to Al Waters and the NAMBA Board for the final word, but NAMBA traditionally does not have a problem with "Nats" or "Nationals" being used in the race title under NAMBA sanction hence the reason the WinterNats in Orlando maintains the name of that event. I would suspect that they may take a different stance with how the acronym NAMBA would be used in a race title as they prefer to reserve that for non-district events such as the Nationals, but other than that "Nats", "Nationals", "Championships", or combinations of the same shouldn't be a problem.
but i have been around long enough to know :angry: marty if you want to "throw mud" go back to your old site and do it!!!!!!!! oh thats right nobody will see it :lol:

Guys,

Marty Davis
but i have been around long enough to know :angry: marty if you want to "throw mud" go back to your old site and do it!!!!!!!! oh thats right nobody will see it :lol:
Thanks Steve.... A really classy statement !

Marty Davis

John,

I think I am gonna get off my rear end and fill out and entry for your race. Finch, Ferrette and Speas have been twisting my arm to go with them to your race. I do have on question can I race my stock gas mono that we run under D12 rules at your race? I think I am gonna enter two classes on your entry form 1. LSG27 Mono 2. Stock Gas.

Also I think that since we have a "Winter Nats", and a "Spring Nats" why shouldn't we have a "Fall Nats" to round out the "Nats" format of races. If you keep getting grief about the title of your race you could call it the " South Eastern Regional Championships" . I have heard from several individuals that you guys put on a first class event down in your region and have a well run race event. I look forward to seeing you and some of the other racers I haven't raced against since the "98 & 99 Nats".

Guys,

Marty Davis
Hello Marty,

I haven't talked to you in a long time. After reading your post I couldn't quite figure out which side of the fence you were leaning on. I could interpret it to read in two seperate ways so I am still a little confused with parts of your comments, are you saying that John and the CMB members should not be allowed to call their race the "Fall National Championships?, or do you believe they should be allowed to call their race by this name? I could be wrong but I believe that in the past permission had to be given to the clubs who presently have the titles for the "Winter Nats" and the "Spring Nats" came from the IMPBA Board members at the time these titles were requested? I did not serve on the Board of Directors for as many distinguished years as you did but I did serve for several years and you were on the Board when I severed representing my District. I severed under two Presidents of whom I thought served the IMBPA organization very well and dealt with the many problems and issues which were present in the IMPBA at their times. Just so you will recall they were Mr. Tyndall and Mr. Grannis and I respect the efforts of both individuals for their hard work on behalf of the IMPBA organization. I also sat on the Board with another gentlemen whom I respected and had been a past President of the IMPBA by the name of Gene Taylor who gave me some solid advice while I sat on the Board. You and I had some interesting conversation on several issues during these times some of which we didn't always agree on, and some we did. My point is that both organization have their strong points and their weak points, both have Nationally set bylaws they have set forth and their membership must follow. We should not be knocking either in the head as they represent and support the thing we love to due most and that is model boating and racing. Marty as you know being a District Director can be a thankless job with people whom are mad at you no matter what you do, and I can only imagine the pressures and duties required to be taken on as being the President of either organization. The bottom line is if a member does not like the way in which the ship is being steered then they need to step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns and run for the office of District Director or President of the their respective organizations, and vote on all important matters associated with their organizations. I disagree with you again on this one with regards to the IMPBA being the lesser of the two organizations.

Guys,

Marty Davis
Hello Marty,

I haven't talked to you in a long time. After reading your post I couldn't quite figure out which side of the fence you were leaning on. I could interpret it to read in two seperate ways so I am still a little confused with parts of your comments, are you saying that John and the CMB members should not be allowed to call their race the "Fall National Championships?, or do you believe they should be allowed to call their race by this name? I could be wrong but I believe that in the past permission had to be given to the clubs who presently have the titles for the "Winter Nats" and the "Spring Nats" came from the IMPBA Board members at the time these titles were requested? I did not serve on the Board of Directors for as many distinguished years as you did but I did serve for several years and you were on the Board when I severed representing my District. I severed under two Presidents of whom I thought served the IMBPA organization very well and dealt with the many problems and issues which were present in the IMPBA at their times. Just so you will recall they were Mr. Tyndall and Mr. Grannis and I respect the efforts of both individuals for their hard work on behalf of the IMPBA organization. I also sat on the Board with another gentlemen whom I respected and had been a past President of the IMPBA by the name of Gene Taylor who gave me some solid advice while I sat on the Board. You and I had some interesting conversation on several issues during these times some of which we didn't always agree on, and some we did. My point is that both organization have their strong points and their weak points, both have Nationally set bylaws they have set forth and their membership must follow. We should not be knocking either in the head as they represent and support the thing we love to due most and that is model boating and racing. Marty as you know being a District Director can be a thankless job with people whom are mad at you no matter what you do, and I can only imagine the pressures and duties required to be taken on as being the President of either organization. The bottom line is if a member does not like the way in which the ship is being steered then they need to step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns and run for the office of District Director or President of the their respective organizations, and vote on all important matters associated with their organizations. I disagree with you again on this one with regards to the IMPBA being the lesser of the two organizations.

Steve (Sutton):

I appreciate your comments on this. I was just voicing my opinion about the things that I have seen since I was on the Board of IMPBA.

I agree with you that Dick Tyndal and Tom Grannis were superb leaders as was Bernie Bathauer. They allowed the Board to represent their Districts wishes and did not try to dictate policy. They were LEADERS.

I was commenting on the things that I have learned since I moved to Florida and had to run under the NAMBA Banner. NAMBA allows clubs and districts to administer rules based on their needs in that specific district. NAMBA for all intents and purposes governs from the bottom up and IMPBA now governs from the top down. Obviously both will work, but I am impressed to see a district be able to hold races and format them according to their wishes and needs.

As you know, I am IMPBA forever and will ALWAYS consider the IMPBA Internats Format the neatest thing that was ever though up for our hobby. We get a true National Champion every year. Not much chance of lucking into a US#1.

As for the Charleston Club: They have put on a Fall Race every year that is talked about all over the Country. I have never gone, but sent my entry in yesterday. I see no reason that they should not be able to call their race the Fall Nats or something like that. Heck, the Internats was not even going to take place until Mike Z rescued it. I stated that I remember there being a waiting list for clubs to hold the Internats. A long way from that right now.

I think that you must have misread my comments (my fault). I in no way intended to say that the IMPBA was the lesser of the orginizations. I tried a couple of times to get the two orginizations to consider merger and had little luck with that. Someday, maybe we will consolidate and be stronger because of more numbers. Who knows....

Yes, I never agreed with everyone on the Board while I was serving. Most times compromise was worked out and the good of the members served.

No, my intention was in no way to sling mud, but put things out for consideration and discussion.

Steve was right about one thing though. The RcBoat.com Listbot is not used much anymore and I have shut it down. I don't want to continue to pay a bunch of $$$ for something that is not useful.

I look forward to seeing some people that I have not seen in many years in Charleston. Can't wait.....

Marty Davis

John,I think I am gonna get off my rear end and fill out and entry for your race. Finch, Ferrette and Speas have been twisting my arm to go with them to your race. I do have on question can I race my stock gas mono that we run under D12 rules at your race? I think I am gonna enter two classes on your entry form 1. LSG27 Mono 2. Stock Gas.

Also I think that since we have a "Winter Nats", and a "Spring Nats" why shouldn't we have a "Fall Nats" to round out the "Nats" format of races. If you keep getting grief about the title of your race you could call it the " South Eastern Regional Championships" . I have heard from several individuals that you guys put on a first class event down in your region and have a well run race event. I look forward to seeing you and some of the other racers I haven't raced against since the "98 & 99 Nats".

Steve,

The LSG stock class that we put in covers all stock boats and hulls much like the D12 has in place now and we saw in Greensboro. Not being a gas guy now I may not have the right words to convey that correctly, but that is what we are looking at doing. Did I answer it for you? BTW, Don and John have entered, Steve has yet to.

Yes, there are a number of different names possible for the race. However, the vision of the CMB club is to create a National level Championship race, preferably under IMPBA (as the majority of racers that attend belong to it) that is not currently being offered in the fall. The Spring Nats and the Internats are great events in the spring and summer, however, nothing of that level exists in the fall that all classes are welcome to run. A name reflecting that is paramount for us to achieve that goal. Any name less than will not bring that caliber of competition and accolades to IMPBA. It really relegates it to nothing more than highly promoted race and not a National level race. In our opinion, using the name National will NOT impune the prestige of the Internats - INTERNATIONAL REGATTA by it's full name. Not National. Regional will not cut it. Nor will "World" work either as that is not the goal. And the race is strictly heat race format and not modeled after either of the Internats format. There is a difference and it is huge. We DID it for the Tunnel Championships and we can do it again if IMPBA will work with us. We remain hopeful.

John

It sounds neat being able to say you are going to the fall Nationals. People are impressed! Wow, you are in the nationals! If it was baseball or softball the word "Nationals" would mean something, because you have to prove yourself to get there. Not so with the boats. Anyone can race. What if every club decided to call their race a National race. No problem! let me tell you why............

Example.........When the Atlanta club wanted to call their race the IMPBA Spring nats we had the same problems and discussion, except there was no internet for everyone to chime in!

The resolution was to call the race the Atlanta Spring Nats, not the IMPBA Spring Nats.

It could be called The South Carolina Fall Nats as the precedent has been set.

Steve Speas...........You say youv'e been around a while. Why does it say you are a beginner boater under your photo! :lol: The system is never fair, is it! Depends who's sandbox you are in, huh. :huh:

It could be called The South Carolina Fall Nats as the precedent has been set.
How about the Charleston Fall Nationals? I think that sounds even better as, like "Atlanta Spring Nationals" you know right where it is in South Carolina just by the title. And like Mr. Finch pointed out, the precedent has already been set! :D

How about, "THE US OPEN RC CHAMPIONSHIPS". Sounds pretty good to me too.

I seldom agree with Marty. But I will agree that the IMPBA is Ready for Some New Leadership! We are currently lead by the small Piston Boaters that are more interested in retail sales than FULL BORE - All Out Competiton! The Competition is what drives a boater to spent/travel to great distances to compete with others. The Atlanta Spring Nats will yield a better boat count(Over 300) than any other race in 2008. Call it what you want?? But Most know where to go to find the Finest Competition in R/C boat racing. Hopefully Charelston can grow to be a equal Quality race of Atlanta Spring nats.. Rock On Atlanta! Good Luck Charelston.. My personal favorite is Evansvile Indiana. Great Hard working Club lead by Mike Schindler that loves to race!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I seldom agree with Marty. But I will agree that the IMPBA is Ready for Some New Leadership! We are currently lead by the small Piston Boaters that are more interested in retail sales than FULL BORE - All Out Competiton! The Competition is what drives a boater to spent/travel to great distances to compete with others. The Atlanta Spring Nats will yield a better boat count(Over 300) than any other race in 2008. Call it what you want?? But Most know where to go to find the Finest Competition in R/C boat racing. Hopefully Charelston can grow to be a equal Quality race of Atlanta Spring nats.. Rock On Atlanta! Good Luck Charelston.. My personal favorite is Evansvile Indianna. Great Hard working Club lead by Mike Schindler that loves to race!!
Joe:

I didn't know that we seldom agree... :eek:

I am POSITIVE that you will agree that we all should be celebrating Ralph Almirola's Son Aric is going to be driving the #8 car full time In NASCAR Cup next year. We will have a direct connection and someone to root for next year.

Marty Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
I seldom agree with Marty. But I will agree that the IMPBA is Ready for Some New Leadership! We are currently lead by the small Piston Boaters that are more interested in retail sales than FULL BORE - All Out Competiton! The Competition is what drives a boater to spent/travel to great distances to compete with others.
Joe.. please expand on this for us if you would :huh: :huh: :huh:

Mike Z

Latest posts

Back