Charleston Fall Nationals Race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,
Apparently there has been questions raised by some, I suspect from the old IMPBA guard, of why the CMB club has chosen to use the term "National" in association with our fall race. So for all to know, and to stop all the e mails to me personally, it has been done for the following reasons:.........

It is time for a change at the top of IMPBA. Enough of the stuff that forces conflict, and enough of this type leadership. IMPBA needs to build on its strengths rather than institute stupid rules that make people mad and divide the membership. IMPBA used to have clubs in competition to host the Internats, now we have to beg for someone to put it on. We used to have the Nats set for several years in a row.

I have been on the IMPBA Board and served for many terms and I have seen Great leadership and Terrible leadership.

Now living in Florida, I run NAMBA Events all the time. The DIFFERENCE between IMPBA and NAMBA in simple terms: The leadership in NAMBA is from the bottom up and in IMPBA it is from the top down. We NEVER have any problem with the NAMBA National Orginization, they let us run our races and don't do the stupid stuff that IMPBA is now doing from the top down.

Time to LEARN Guys...... ONLY the basic rules should be set and the regional competitors and Directors will refine them to their local liking.

Marty Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,
Apparently there has been questions raised by some, I suspect from the old IMPBA guard, of why the CMB club has chosen to use the term "National" in association with our fall race. So for all to know, and to stop all the e mails to me personally, it has been done for the following reasons:.........

It is time for a change at the top of IMPBA. Enough of the stuff that forces conflict, and enough of this type leadership. IMPBA needs to build on its strengths rather than institute stupid rules that make people mad and divide the membership. IMPBA used to have clubs in competition to host the Internats, now we have to beg for someone to put it on. We used to have the Nats set for several years in a row.

I have been on the IMPBA Board and served for many terms and I have seen Great leadership and Terrible leadership.

Now living in Florida, I run NAMBA Events all the time. The DIFFERENCE between IMPBA and NAMBA in simple terms: The leadership in NAMBA is from the bottom up and in IMPBA it is from the top down. We NEVER have any problem with the NAMBA National Orginization, they let us run our races and don't do the stupid stuff that IMPBA is now doing from the top down.

Time to LEARN Guys...... ONLY the basic rules should be set and the regional competitors and Directors will refine them to their local liking.

Marty Davis
Is there something in the IMPBA rules that prevents districts, or even clubs, from refining rules to their own needs, excepting of course basic safety rules, which can't, and shouldn't be ignored? Nope, didn't think so. Clubs and districts customize things on a regular basis. For example, D12 has a stock gas class. So, instead of blowing things out of proportion and trying to use this thread to complain about the problems you see with IMPBA, perhaps it can get back on track talking about the race that the Charleston club will be hosting this fall?

Chuck,

There is much more than is evident to all with this. Item # 3 of my post #16 is the main issue with some more very quiet ones too. That is all I will say publically as I have been chastised already but I am a member with a voice and I shall use it. Marty is not blowing things out of proportion either - trust me on that. And Marty is absolutely dead on and people need to listen to him, just like the EF Hutton commercials. When he speaks, all listen. There are two ways progress can be measured, progressive or regressive. What is your personal opinion? I agree totally with Marty.

I did the redirect on the thread so I is my doing as I felt it is important that the IMPBA members have some idea on what is going on. With that being done, I would like to get it back on track now. I truly hope that John Finch, Marty, Ron Jr (Sr too) and others can make their way to the race as you will not be disappointed. The entries are starting to come in now.

John

Chuck,
There is much more than is evident to all with this. Item # 3 of my post #16 is the main issue with some more very quiet ones too. That is all I will say publically as I have been chastised already but I am a member with a voice and I shall use it. Marty is not blowing things out of proportion either - trust me on that. And Marty is absolutely dead on and people need to listen to him, just like the EF Hutton commercials. When he speaks, all listen. There are two ways progress can be measured, progressive or regressive. What is your personal opinion? I agree totally with Marty.

I did the redirect on the thread so I is my doing as I felt it is important that the IMPBA members have some idea on what is going on. With that being done, I would like to get it back on track now. I truly hope that John Finch, Marty, Ron Jr (Sr too) and others can make their way to the race as you will not be disappointed. The entries are starting to come in now.

John
John, put yourself in the shoes of a newcomer or an outsider and take a read through this thread. It starts off talking about a race and then takes a sharp turn that reads like a bad soap opera. Is this really how we want people to view our organization and our hobby? If there are emails and complaints circulating around, in private, among specific people, why couldn't the issue stay private instead of airing dirty laundry for everyone to see. Instead, we've now made it look like our organization is full of old women complaining behind the scenes. Oh, and whether I agree or disagree with Marty, from the perspective of your race, does it matter?

This is a hobby, can't we all just race and have fun?

John

Keep up the info. With this being an "ELECTION YEAR" it is good that all points of interest be kept open and honest. PIPER as far as Dirty Laundry, we have had the "clothes on the line" now for a few years.

Only time will tell if our " NEXT PRESIDENT" will LEAD us out of QUICKSAND and on to SOLID GROUND.

But we as host clubs can not sit and do nothing. We MUST go FORWARD with PLANNING!!!

Personally, John is moving in the right direction, We have lost SOOOO many races and lakes over the last three years. For some one to step up to the challenge of offering a race that is WORTHY of National caliber is a MAJOR step UP in what has been a down hill slide. Again with the loss of the "WinterNationals" race what was a three National event calendar was down to two. The original "COOPER CLASSIC" held on these same dates was lost for a time. BUT I do Remember it being a Must attend race for the year end. And one that had the National events caliber.

Let get past the "OSTRICH DEFENSE" and assuming that it will go away BY stepping up and facing the challenge, you can see it coming. How we react is the measure of the success.

John.................Keep up the good work.!!!

Chuck,

John
John, put yourself in the shoes of a newcomer or an outsider and take a read through this thread. It starts off talking about a race and then takes a sharp turn that reads like a bad soap opera. Is this really how we want people to view our organization and our hobby? If there are emails and complaints circulating around, in private, among specific people, why couldn't the issue stay private instead of airing dirty laundry for everyone to see. Instead, we've now made it look like our organization is full of old women complaining behind the scenes. Oh, and whether I agree or disagree with Marty, from the perspective of your race, does it matter?

This is a hobby, can't we all just race and have fun?
Piper_Chuck,

I agree with you totally, as a newcomer not knowing the total reasons for the smack talk can make you wonder and potentially hender you attending certain race events. On the other hand, whatever the name of the race is, ALL I WANT TO DO IS RACE!!!

John,

You and your club put on a first class event at a premier pond for racing. The improvements yall are doing will only make it better. Whatever your club ends up calling the Fall National Championships will not keep me from racing.

Like Piper_Chuck said," This is a hobby, can't we all just race and have fun!!!"

Doug

Gentlemen;

I really see nothing wrong with what is being said here in regards to status of the IMPBA. This race is an IMPBA race and it seems the race promoters are getting hassled over what seems to be nothing by IMPBA, who ironically should be "fostering and promoting", the model boat hobby.

I am POSITIVE Marty would not say anything unless he felt it should be out there for everyone to absorb. Being that Marty's club has been talking about hosting an Internats I am sure there is a concern about IMPBA leadership etc. I know as a fact Marty's Bloodtype is "IMPBA POS.", so if he says something there is good reason behind it.

New and Old members should be able to have enough information to decide what the next step moving forward should be. Yes we do want to have fun, but that will not happen if we start to lose interest in holding races. It looks to me like there may be some un warrented "nit picking" going on here. If a given club gets aggravated enough they will just bow out an not hold any races, and as a result NO MORE FUN.

Keep in mind about 5% ,( I am being VERY GENEROUS), of all the fun seeking boaters out there actually step up to the plate to find lakes, organize clubs, maintain facilities, cultivate and build relationships with landowners/municipal leaders and yes hold races; all the while the rest of the big happy family of boaters just pay dues show up at the lake to "JUST HAVE FUN".

Without the proper leadership and most importantly, SUPPORT, the small group of folks that we do have making sacrifices for everyone to have fun will quit. I would suggest everyone stop acting like "sheep", and make a valid point here.

Norm Doerr

Gentlemen;
I really see nothing wrong with what is being said here in regards to status of the IMPBA. This race is an IMPBA race and it seems the race promoters are getting hassled over what seems to be nothing by IMPBA, who ironically should be "fostering and promoting", the model boat hobby.

I am POSITIVE Marty would not say anything unless he felt it should be out there for everyone to absorb. Being that Marty's club has been talking about hosting an Internats I am sure there is a concern about IMPBA leadership etc. I know as a fact Marty's Bloodtype is "IMPBA POS.", so if he says something there is good reason behind it.

New and Old members should be able to have enough information to decide what the next step moving forward should be. Yes we do want to have fun, but that will not happen if we start to lose interest in holding races. It looks to me like there may be some un warrented "nit picking" going on here. If a given club gets aggravated enough they will just bow out an not hold any races, and as a result NO MORE FUN.

Keep in mind about 5% ,( I am being VERY GENEROUS), of all the fun seeking boaters out there actually step up to the plate to find lakes, organize clubs, maintain facilities, cultivate and build relationships with landowners/municipal leaders and yes hold races; all the while the rest of the big happy family of boaters just pay dues show up at the lake to "JUST HAVE FUN".

Without the proper leadership and most importantly, SUPPORT, the small group of folks that we do have making sacrifices for everyone to have fun will quit. I would suggest everyone stop acting like "sheep", and make a valid point here.

Norm Doerr

Norm;

You GO boy!!!

You know this has gotten blown out of propotion, I asked very nicely in a PM to John Knight if the club would please pick another name since the rules intent clearly was to limit the use use of the owrds Nats and Nationals but since the rule was not clearly written it left a loop hole and the CMB club decided to use the loop hole and that is fine. There was not threats or any thing like that. I believe all IMPBA clubs should have the same right to use the word National unless the board/members decide differently. By the way this rule was written before I was even involved with the board, all I'm trying to do is get it settled one way or another.

As for other statements made by memebrs on here the IMPBA is not sinking in fact it is at the highest member numbers since Florida left IMPBA in 2000.

One would have to ask themselves.

Does using the word Nats or Nationals for a weekend event help or hurt the IMPBA as a whole. What is the future?

Do we view the words Nats or Nationals as higher, lower or the same as the meaning as: International? I guess I don’t…

All in all im not sure having this race TRULY be a Fall National Championships would not hurt a thing.. Calling it this for the sake of drawing racers to this…a “A better race then yours” is business but kind of a dark way doing it.

If this is going to be called a Nationals then I/WE fully expect a National Championship caliber event. Time on the water, quality of racer, number of entries, food and fun.. and so on..

I have never been one to feel that its the IMPBAs duty to make a national caliber race a place for new racers.. I do feel that if they can they should attend but don’t feel its in the best interest of the event to have things like a Novice Class (for instance).. at a national championships. New comers looking in would not view it this way is what Im trying to say. I think is just as much fun having new racers at the big events. Most however are too intimidated by the title to attend.. good or bad.. just the way it is.

John.. at first I was apposed to using the word Nats in the title of what would just be another race.. BUT.. knowing you and the way your club has run events in the past I suspect it WILL TRULY BE A NATINOAL EVENT.

Keep up the good work John and the CMB club..

Grimracer

P.S. The opinions expressed are of my own and I don’t want to hear some yahoo fall off the handle about the novice comments.. if you feel I have said this in vain, then I challenge you to get more new people to your LOCAL races and foster from the ground up as I have in the past. Truth is its harder then winning a national championship and also…. Way more gratifying… you get way more in then you give out.

One example of how Titles are perceived is what happened at the World Tunnel Championships in March.

We had several junior racers, as I recall one of them was 9 years old and one 11. The 11 year old raced in Mod-VP and this was his first race. He took home a trophy. The 9 year old ran in one of the 3.5 tunnel classes and if his boat would not have dumped in the rough water a couple times he too would have made the finals.

When you decide to race lifesize F-1 tunnel boats then you expect others to question your ability and even question it yourself. Risking your own life and the lives of others at 130 mph is a world different than racing toy boats. That is what's really cool about this sport is anyone can participate no matter what we name the race. Taking a trophy home from a "perceived" big event is special if you are 40 years old or 10.

Mark

Boy, I'm glad that this is an election year. I want to see how many of you will be on the board to change these" old head" rules that are being mentioned.

Latest posts

Back