AQ 36-56-2030 (UL-1) MOTOR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill I have complete respect for you and the reply as I have seen you as a positive influence towards the FE class. I commend you for that. And your right, I do have minimal race experience...have I heat raced, yes. Unfortunately, driving 4 hours for every district race, or further is not in my cards, esp. not this year. Loosing my day job recently has not helped anything either. Would I love to have the money and time to do more racing, absolutely. Like I was saying tho, I have some of the best drivers, SAW racers, and oval trial people in my corner and they give me the feedback I need to make sure I get done what I want to accomplish, which is having a strong competitive hull. I take a lot of pride in making others enjoy my tunnels, and there are around 30 of them floating around all over the country right now that have been built this year alone. If that is all I get out of RC boat racing is hearing others stories of success with something I built, I am cool with that and have absolutely no regrets in some of the other things I am not accomplished in!

Now Mic,

First, I don't know you, I have never met or spoke to you and the Charleston situation you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. I didn't back down from anything. You don't know my situation, so please spare me thinking you do. As I politely told Bill above, you don't know my financial situation or ability to go to out of town events and get more wheel time. For the last 3 years I have had to do everything my now EX company asked of me to keep my job due to their workload loss. I have had to fear taking off time for fear of loosing my job, so please don't act like you know me as I really do take offense to that. So again, if you need to discuss why I don't race, or past situations that quite honestly, did not involve you, please, PM or call me and GET to know me instead of hearsay. You might actually learn something from the "new" guy. Just asking for a just a little credit here. Not trying to ruffle feathers, remember, this is all friendly chatter!!!

Back to the motors. The thing I do know, is many, many FE racers came up with the rules on motors. They did this based on two motors that consistently proved reliable, with similar 500 watt capabilities (not 1000watts as mentioned somewhere previously). The motors I am hearing in this thread are way more power than either of these. I have run other brands of motors, and as far as I am concerned, and I too hate supporting a monopoly type situation, but the simple fact is, more guys are out on the water racing because of the day in and day out reliability of these motors and esc's that AQ and Proboat make. Aq and Proboat has done a fantastic job keeping a level of consistent quality. When you start mixing in 1000watt motors the whole thing gets messed up. All the sudden guys wanna run bigger more stable hulls in the Spec class, so now we have not only the motor out of wack, but hull size could potentially become an issue. Its a fine balance, and right now its working, and relatively consistent across the country. I will tell you what, the reliability alone makes a $20 increase still a small issue in the realm of things. I love Neu motors, but for the price, and inconsistent quality, its kind of hard to deny Aq and Proboat have it going on in some respects.

I know you guys in Florida are doing some P and Q racing, and I think that is absolutely great, but I think leaving alone a class that has done absolutely great is an even better idea. Just make sure these additional classes are specified as being something totally different, as I think that may be where some people are getting confused on the ultimate goals of these conversations.

Again, look, I do not want this personal. These boats are suppose to be fun. I have been singled out a lot up here, had threats made to directly to me (yeah, before the Charleston race 2 years ago) most every time I post about a tunnel hull and most always from the same general group. Threats? Over a toy boat, Really??? In the past I have tried to talk to those that felt the need to make comments on the phone, gave them my phone #, and all they would do is continue to harass me hull choices and my experience behind the computer instead of getting to know me via phone or in person. How childish is that??? Sorry if I wronged any of you for not continuing to run your brand of hull, or not promoting it. It was a choice I made because it was not the boat I wanted to run. It seems that situation will never go away.

I have a blast doing the part I do for the race community and it would be really awesome if some of those who will look past the petty "brand" issues, and see the positive things I am trying to provide. Is it really that hard to just enjoy this stuff and enjoy some of the good rules and reasons we do have????

Mike

(252) 717-6282

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Your influence and track record in Fast Electrics speaks for itself.

You don't have to answer to anyone here, you can proudly stand on your own accomplishments and integrity.

Drive on sir!!

See ya at the pond,

Smock

One interesting thing that I gleaned from this thread is that the Open P class now appears to have some REALLY affordable motor options out there. http://www.hobbyking...r_for_Boat.html

This is a good thing for clubs looking to get back into the open P classes. It may revitalize them.

There is nothing written in stone saying that a club’s first FE class has to be a P-Limited class. It is often the first class because people tend to purchase a RTR model to get their feet wet in FE.

P Sport hydro and P mono are popular open P classes in both IMPBA and NAMBA. While they are popular, I can tell you from experience that it is REALLY easy to over-power a 34” hull in this power class. As such, it may not be the best place to start for racers new to FE.

While the alternative motor that was posted by Mic seems to be very close to the UL-1 motor, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be capable of turning a larger prop than the UL-1 motor. I run a similar length motor as the one Mic posted in my P-Sport hydro setup. It can turn a x646 with no problem and run 68mph. My UL-1 motor in the same hull is at it’s limit with a m445 at around 52mph. The longer can length usually provides for more available wattage, which in turn means you can get away with bigger props than a similar diameter/KV motor with a smaller can length.

No matter what you guys in D-6 decide, there are a number of us in D-4 that are looking forward to racing FE with you next year… Whether it be in the P-Ltd classes or the P class. We have setups for both.

I wont lock this up just yet lads...I love a bit of heart felt discussion, but please don't make it personal.

I tell everyone over here when they ask me, just run the UL-1 Motor and either the UL-1 Speedy (buy it at the same time you get the motor) or the Turnigy 120 (buy it at the same time you get your batteries (turnigy 5000's). Easy as that, all I want is good close racing, not worried about exactly what motors people use, as long as we are are still 'in the mix'.

Thanks

Kris

Sean makes a point that there is life after P-spec. I also think the motor in the spotlight has a longer can and probably would prove to be superior. Be nice if down the line someone makes a better matched cheaper motor. As he also points out a few have tasted full P & Q power that not going to break the bank. Right now with limited #s I think an open FE tunnel class will be fine as Q's are too much power for a light hull that you can run 60's with a P setup. Q demands battery weight that offsets speed and balance neccesary to complete 5 laps. We can't turn much more prop without draining batteries. My first heat in open tunnel in Florida I was pulling away and died in the last turn. Not overheated just out of power. Took the 447 off and the 445 made the laps. Just cause you can go fast doesn't mean you can make all the laps in a heat. With tunnels adding milliamps means you carry more weight. Hope we see more P-Q combinations after Specs take hold.

Mic

Ok.

I think we can bring it out of orbit now while everyone is feeling conciliatory.

Can you guys feel the luv? I know I can! :wub:

/B

Sean,

Thank you for your info and knowledge on electric motors. You certainly know more about these motors than I. The TCMBC will be happy to see you guys come up and race with us. We could use some good guidance in FE racing setups. There are a few of are club members that will also travel down to Kenosha and Mendota to race with you.

Mark

Sean makes a point that there is life after P-spec. I also think the motor in the spotlight has a longer can and probably would prove to be superior. Be nice if down the line someone makes a better matched cheaper motor. As he also points out a few have tasted full P & Q power that not going to break the bank. Right now with limited #s I think an open FE tunnel class will be fine as Q's are too much power for a light hull that you can run 60's with a P setup. Q demands battery weight that offsets speed and balance neccesary to complete 5 laps. We can't turn much more prop without draining batteries. My first heat in open tunnel in Florida I was pulling away and died in the last turn. Not overheated just out of power. Took the 447 off and the 445 made the laps. Just cause you can go fast doesn't mean you can make all the laps in a heat. With tunnels adding milliamps means you carry more weight. Hope we see more P-Q combinations after Specs take hold.

Mic

B)

How about a rule like P/L 2030 KV and under, Max 60amp ESC non adj ,any manufacture???????????? Someone just let everyone know before end of JAN... Hello MR. Harris

D/L

Sean,

Thank you for your info and knowledge on electric motors. You certainly know more about these motors than I. The TCMBC will be happy to see you guys come up and race with us. We could use some good guidance in FE racing setups. There are a few of are club members that will also travel down to Kenosha and Mendota to race with you.

Mark
Looking forward to it Mark. Let the building season begin. :)

How about a rule like P/L 2030 KV and under, Max 60amp ESC non adj ,any manufacture???????????? Someone just let everyone know before end of JAN... Hello MR. Harris

D/L
Lets do that , I think Mr NEU might make a very popular motor very soon . Its likely going to be expensive though . not 20$ more , but 200$ more. I'll put my order in for a few now .

Ya , I'm being sarcastic .

The existing NAMBA rules work , great fun . If and when it does'nt work then consider changes .

Come on guys… Don’t ruin the fun for P-spec FE competitors just because of a RAW material increase in price. It’s already been stated the Neo Magnet cost has gone up HUGE. That is going to translate to cost for consumer.

What happen during the Nitro Scare lots of years ago or when Homeland Security got in evolved with nitro stock piles? Fuel prices went up! What happen when Platinum prices went up? Plug prices went up!!!

This P-spec racing stuff started evolving 4+ years ago and IT’S WORKING. If you go to an FE ONLY race the largest and biggest classes are the P-Spec Classes! There are more NEW boaters because of the available RTR (translation P-spec motors) offerings than ever.

Run the season by your local rules and then worry about the price later. It’s fun, try it you might like it…

Later,

Mike Ball

DAM Tim see what YOU started :huh:

is there a motor mount that uses the stock cable OS

for all these motors that you guys are talking about

Marty
It started with ONE simple question. Here is a link to what I think your looking for. Just use your K&B motor mount,lower and flex shaft. Bolt this on the lower and your set!!! If not surf the site, they have it.

K&B Lower http://www.offshoree...hpi-eobck35-5mm (I know your a K&B guy)

They also have one for the OS.

It would be sweet to have a FE class at Mendota for 2012.

TL

Where is MENDOTA maybe could make a trip an bring some Tunnels an a Kneeler . Dick and Carol

Back