AQ 36-56-2030 (UL-1) MOTOR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim leyde

What is the deal, first the OS motor changes TWO little things and the price jumps $80. :(

Now AQ changes NOTHING (that I know of) and the price JUMPS $20!!! :angry: :eek: :huh: What is going on in this hobby, no wonder my kids have not started yet.

TL

The price increase in motors has been expected for a while. The price of the neo magnet material has gone up 1000%+ in the last year. The pricing has gone up on motors from all the manufacturers.

It is what it is.

Yeah, well do to most of us "working man's" wages not going up in the last 4 years and this sh*ty economy. Demand may go down when the price goes up.

TL

and I hope it does. I agree with you 100%. Im in that same boat myself. So a price jump in anything hobby related really really sucks. So I can relate.

I do not by the Neo magnet price thing. None of the motor's that I run in my planes have made a price jump like that.

Just passing on what I've been told by 3 separate mfg's that I'm reasonably well connected with.

Back to getting ready for the LA SAWs.

http://www.hobbyking...s_Inrunner.html

This would not be a present legal P/pec motor but it sure beats being held hostage by already approved manufacturers who we are at the mercy off if they change thier pricing as AQ has. I have no problem with them making money but we can control class rules to not give them an exclusive. I know Doug will chime in and we both agree to disagree and have the same good intentions to build FE racing but $42 and a $49 T-120 would not hurt growth in limited racing. If other manufacturers were allowed to compete prices might drop. Again if you make rules hard and inflexible and no room for changes in the marketplace you see what can happen. P?spec now $170 ??? for motor and controller.

Sorry Doug I can't control my fingers.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Mic, I have to agree with you. Why not bring other manufacturers into the game. As long as they are the same ratings.... I dont see why it matters.

I would not be opposed to a rule that allowed any motor as long as it met a maximum diameter, length, and kv rating. And if they they start raising the price of the esc, then limit it to any manufacturer but a max of 120 amps. (or even 60 or 90 for that matter)

Being primarily a Namba racer, the esc is already a 'run what ya brung' situation. Impba limits the esc and that is ok as long as we don't start hearing about a price hike there as well. But I too am concerned that if the manufacturers of allowed motors start raising prices when it appears that most other motor manufacturers are not then I must call BS.

Again imo, a motor rule change limiting dia, length, and kv would level out the playing field just as well as limiting it to a certain set of motors. I don't think it is something we need to address right now, but if we see the price hike again, then it could be taken into consideration.

The rules as they stand right now (both Namba and Impba) are fair and field leveling, and I agree with them. But as always, cost needs to be addressed if it begins to become a hindrance to potential newcomers. It does need to be noted that even though we see a price hike, it is still far less to get into FE than nitro or gas.

Mic and I have spent a lot of time and effort promoting FE here in Florida and it would be detrimental to the cause to have people find out that just as they become interested, the price of jumping in gets inflated by directing them to higher cost equipment when lower cost items are available that can meet the rule criteria.

Just my .02 cents.

/B

That's the great thing about NOT having a national rule set on these classes. (IMPBA) It's easy to go with what the people in your area want, and you can change things as needed.

We are limiting ESCs in D13 because that is what the majority of the racers wanted.They will be asked again at the end of the year. Right now it looks like they may opt for any 60 amp control, just because. ;)

There are some alternatives to the AQ motor for those that wish to go there. You'll just want a way to tech them should there be a protest.

Good luck fellas!!

Doug

[email protected]

What is the deal, first the OS motor changes TWO little things and the price jumps $80. :(

Now AQ changes NOTHING (that I know of) and the price JUMPS $20!!! :angry: :eek: :huh: What is going on in this hobby, no wonder my kids have not started yet.

TL
Tim,

Neo magnet prices have gone up (because of a marital shortage) causing the price increase.. having said this you are right.. we changed nothing on the motor.. Just the cost of neo going up. Its a price we all incur.

Like Carbon Fiber of the past.. its Neo’s turn!

Thats the truth, the gig and the skinny on the price increase.. no more and no less..

Grimracer

TL
Tim,

Neo magnet prices have gone up (because of a marital shortage) causing the price increase.. having said this you are right.. we changed nothing on the motor.. Just the cost of neo going up. Its a price we all incur.

Like Carbon Fiber of the past.. its Neo’s turn!

Thats the truth, the gig and the skinny on the price increase.. no more and no less..

Grimracer
Grim,

With all do respect to AQ. I am only seeing the price jump on their motors. If all other motors go up $20.00 I will say oh well, if not I call BS... and will go with another product for my next one.

It has come to my attention some time ago that the AQ esc is ridiculously high priced for a 60 amp unit also. I just feel manufactures should focus a bit more on keeping the cost down a bit to grow the hobby and get the youth involved. Rather than just us old boys with toys

In Mendota you were saying how the IMPBA members have dropped off. This may be the reason, and of course the crappy economy. However raising prices doesn't help.

Just my thoughts, nothing personal.

TL

Aquacraft makes quality products and I would never question their margins. They are in business to make a profit. The marketplace will take care of itself. You have control as an individual on how you spend your money. I just don't want to get into a rules structure that doesn't alow some flexibility.

Making limited classes does require a bit of a leap of faith that 99% of racers will be legal and conform. We all look for advantages and stretch things where we can. Many ways to regulate competition but at the end of the day inspections are not happening as people who do all the work don't have extra energy or time to enforce simple things. Hopefully an intelligent group can make workable and economic decissions for the masses.

Mic

Mic,

I totally agree.

Grim,

I know it is what it is like Mic said it will fix itself.

I'm just saying how I feel.

What other motors would be legal besides the AquaCraft and ProBoat, any as I'm getting my feet wet with FE?

TL

Back