AQ 36-56-2030 (UL-1) MOTOR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mic, What about this one? http://www.hobbyking...s_Inrunner.html

Mark
Mark,

Good example here on motor specs. The motor you pointed out is the same can size 36mm diameter X 65mm long. But it is rated at 42amps max because it was designed for 22.2v (6S), and power rated at 930 watts (actually Miiiiwatts). Because of the higher voltage it needs less current amps to create power. However the 1200KV times 22.2v gives it a no load rpm of 26,640. If you only ran 4S on this motor the no load would be 17,760 rpm and the amps would go over 42 easily and smoke city.

The 3665 I pointed out is a 2100KV motor that with 14.8v (4S) makes 31,080 rpm no load. It is rated for 72amps and power rated at 1065 watts. One watt = 1000mw = 1.36hp

The AQ 2030kv is a 60amp motor with a no load of 30,000 rpm. I am not sure of the wattage but assume 900=1000 watts. these two motors are fairly evenly matched and it would depend on the quality of magnets,windings and bearings to determine superiority.

Now take a 3674 also under $45 you have a 90amp 2200 KV motor rated at 1330watts and a no load of 32,500 on 4S. Definately would be stronger than the legal spec motor.

Take into account when we power a full on "P" (4S) tunnel we are at a 4074 or 4082 can, 1800-2300 KV's and 2500-3500watts depending on the motor and price between $100-250. Will kill a mod 45 with a $100 200amp controler.

For Minnesota tunnels going FE I would recomend staying Aquacraft if you plan on any out of town racing. As a local class letting a 3665 $43 motor and 90-120amp controller would not kill equal racing. If you can afford a trip to Chicago and a couple nights lodging then keeping a legal $80 motor in your box would not be a hardship. Knowing the TCMBC I would allow a 3665 and make a local run what you brung under 30" hull class for FE and Nitro combined. You would be able then to run a stocker OS in 21 sport, mod and the open under 30 inch one class which would give you a lot of racing for a father and son with one boat. A mod21 or limited "P" FE guy could run two classes. This might build attendance. Your Kneelers would work there and any af the above would have a home when there isn't 3 of a kind to make a class. We are actually trying this class format in our last STORM race giving some 1 boat guys another chance to make laps.

EX TCMBC pres

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mic. know I understand the difference in the two motors. I think I will get one of the motors that you pointed out and a AQ.

Mark

Tim the limited or spec classes don't officially exist in the IMBBA.

Any rules for these classes in the IMPBA are at a local or district level. ;)

For those of you complaining about the price hike on the AQ motor compared to others keep this in mind. It is currently the most popular motor for the P-limited boats by a big margin plus it's OE in AQ boats so the inventory turnaround is much faster than others. Give it a little more time for other brands to "restock" and you WILL see it there as well. You can thank the Chinese for this as they produce the vast majority of the rare earth magnets and wholesale pricing has more than doubled-

http://www.magnetsource.com/Solutions_Pages/NEOproperts.html

For those of you complaining about the price hike on the AQ motor compared to others keep this in mind. It is currently the most popular motor for the P-limited boats by a big margin plus it's OE in AQ boats so the inventory turnaround is much faster than others. Give it a little more time for other brands to "restock" and you WILL see it there as well. You can thank the Chinese for this as they produce the vast majority of the rare earth magnets and wholesale pricing has more than doubled-http://www.magnetsou...EOproperts.html
Don

Thanks for the information. I still think if there are other motors comparable to the current limited or spec motors for half the price (link in post # 21 by Bill, Turnigy) why not use them. I am NOT saying the quality is the same (so don't go there people). It would simply open the door for more options and help grow FE due to the price.

Doug

I am aware the limited and spec classes don't "officially" exist in IMPBA. However lots of clubs follow them, I believe.

I don't think many of us would argue with more options at half the price...

TL

I hope someone will try one of these motors and I know the next HK order Bill or I make will probably have one. Before we rush to "approve" beyond a club level a simple run two boats together and switch motors is in order. Nice thing about FE is no tune pipe or carb to tune. 4 bolts on an outboard is a simple switch. Take two similar boats one with an AQ and one with a Turnigy. Run em switch and run em again.

NAMBA so far has definative rules and There are some pockets in IMPBA with local rules. A motor switch is a lot simpler than re water proofing an ESC switch.

The spec class rules were made to get things off the ground.with a basis on RTR availiable power. AQ seems clearly a stouter choice than Proboat. Now the numbers are growing and the marketplace keeps bringing new things avaliable. We who race can control what we subject ourselves to. Everyone could unbolt their motors before a race put them on a table and have a random draw. You burn it you buy it. Would you put a good motor or a weak one in if you might draw your own? At large natioal races or series we could buy 15-20 $43 random handout motors and charge a use fee. Or just limit controller to amps and motor to can size with a dollar cap? For outboard tunnels I think we could come up with common ground but to get consensus with all hull varieties would be politically imposible. Since this is the general FE Forum I won't comment further here. Tunnels have a mavarick history and their own society.

Mic

Tim,

Wish I could help you undersand more..

Good Racing

Grim
Grim

I MUST appologize to you and AquaCraft. Do to shopping around and finding that the ProBoat motores/ESC are more expensive than the AquaCraft ones.

With this being said, I would still like to see some less expensive motors/ESC's be used on the race level (like that of the Turnigy motors/ESC's).

TL

OK, I don't get it. What is a $20 increase when the complete motor is $80. Why would a club that is just starting FE want to re-invent the wheel. The only reason I started FE racing was because of the P-Spec classes. I knew if I had an AQ 2030 and an AQ Esc that I could go to almost any race in any state and be legal to run in their P-Spec races. I know their are cheaper motors out their, but why? Most clubs have at least agreed on the Motors why would you want to change it? What would you put on the flyer for the classes you are running, P-Spec, but not quite, our motors are cheaper and by the way they turn a no load RPM of 2000 more than what you are going to bring. That is not the way to attract current racers to the club. I don't know if these motors would be faster or not, but a simple change to allow a cheaper motor could result in making everyone who is already running P-Spec spend a whole lot of money upgrading if indeed the new motor turned out to be faster.

I'm not a big poster on this form but I have been around a long time and I would hate to see something that looks like it is successful and fun to go upside down just about the time I am getting started in it. My nitro stuff is on the shelf and I'd hate to put my FE stuff on the shelf because of an over-reaction to a $20 price increase.

Bill Wachtler

Hi Bill,

Have you not told us to take it easy on you when we sold you a .12 Lighting Kit, because you are retierd and on a fixed budget? Thats why. A $45.00 motor from HK is a lot cheaper than $80.00 AQ motor and they are pretty close on the specs. Also I do not like the Idea of supporting only one MFG, thats all. Hell I will have one of both motors so no biggy to me. But let me ask you this. When and if Jr's or your AQ motors in your UL1's burns out. What would you rather buy for a replacement motor and $80.00 or a $45.00 one? Or if you burn up your 60amp AQ ESC. Would you like to buy the same one or a 120amp ESC that cost less to replace?

Everyone please do not get me wrong here. I am in NO way saying that AQ stuff is of lesser quaulity. Or that it will crap out on you. It is darn good.

We need to talk about this before the next club meeting bill.

Mark

OK, I don't get it. What is a $20 increase when the complete motor is $80. Why would a club that is just starting FE want to re-invent the wheel. The only reason I started FE racing was because of the P-Spec classes. I knew if I had an AQ 2030 and an AQ Esc that I could go to almost any race in any state and be legal to run in their P-Spec races. I know their are cheaper motors out their, but why? Most clubs have at least agreed on the Motors why would you want to change it? What would you put on the flyer for the classes you are running, P-Spec, but not quite, our motors are cheaper and by the way they turn a no load RPM of 2000 more than what you are going to bring. That is not the way to attract current racers to the club. I don't know if these motors would be faster or not, but a simple change to allow a cheaper motor could result in making everyone who is already running P-Spec spend a whole lot of money upgrading if indeed the new motor turned out to be faster.

I'm not a big poster on this form but I have been around a long time and I would hate to see something that looks like it is successful and fun to go upside down just about the time I am getting started in it. My nitro stuff is on the shelf and I'd hate to put my FE stuff on the shelf because of an over-reaction to a $20 price increase.

Bill Wachtler
Bill

My original intention to this thread was why the $20 increase if NOTHING changed? I found out the material has gone up a ton. Then others have mentioned a compatible motor at HALF the price! You can't tell me if you could buy a car that handled like a corvette at HALF the price, you would'nt???? As for the flyer for a club, simply have a list of the FE motors that are allowed to run. Let's Face it we are in IMPBA and there are NO rules anyway for spec and limited at this time. It's simply up to the local guys in the club. Newcomers may not even know what limited / spec classes are anyway. When there RTR motor fries they have an OPTION to buy one at HALF the price! We by no means would be reinventing the wheel, just making a good thing more affordable and apealing...

I look at it as a door opener in FE. For the local club guys in IMPBA to allow other compatible motors from other manufatures, the sport my GROW!

Mic, you have a great idea run both motors on the same set-up and see. I will do that soon, if I beat the ice on the pond.

It is like saying we can only run K&B and OS motors in Sport Tunnel, but there are TT motors and others available at HALF the cost that can't run in it. Get my piont!!!

Here is a Turnigy motor below that falls between the AQ SV27R motor and the AQ UL1 motor for HALF the price. Mic also mentioned a Turnigy 2100kv one in a previous post. There is a posibility the Turigy motors are not good, time will tell. Just saying it's an option.

http://www.hobbyking...s_Inrunner.html

TL

Guy's, I have been involved in numerous FE rule changes over the last 10 or so years due to major changes in technology, have purchased many dollars worth of equipment and have rebuilt my race fleet a quite a few times to keep up pace.

There is a large contingent of racers in both NAMBA and IMPBA all over the US and Canada that settled in with a list of Spec motors to run nationally and at the club level. The majority of us run open esc's. Some clubs/areas run a spec esc. This process had been taking place over the last 3-4 years.

You want to create dissention amoung a small group of RC boat racers keep it going. My small piece of advice - leave it alone.

Doug

Guy's, I have been involved in numerous FE rule changes over the last 10 or so years due to major changes in technology, have purchased many dollars worth of equipment and have rebuilt my race fleet a quite a few times to keep up pace.
There is a large contingent of racers in both NAMBA and IMPBA all over the US and Canada that settled in with a list of Spec motors to run nationally and at the club level. The majority of us run open esc's. Some clubs/areas run a spec esc. This process had been taking place over the last 3-4 years.

You want to create dissention amoung a small group of RC boat racers keep it going. My small piece of advice - leave it alone.

Doug
Doug

Not trying to create any dissension at ALL. Just trying to help grow the hobby. Many of my friends will not get into it due to the cost. If we just leave things be, how do they ever get any better?

TL

Mark, simple answer. I will replace the motor with an AQ as it is excepted in almost all clubs. I will replace the Esc with something cheaper as most clubs including district 4 who are our neighbors do not have an Esc. rule. Most new people are going to get started will buy a ready to run. I can only see people that already race buying their parts from different places and mixing and matching to make something. Most people who already race will spend the money needed to get the best motor they can to run the class they want to run. Doug said it best. P-Spec was developed by racers that had been running FE for years and the AQ is not the only motor you can run. Leave it alone if you really want it to grow in our area. Right now their are four guys in Edina, and three guys in eastern Wisconsin that would bring three boats each for a total of twenty one boats watching to see what happens. Do we run a P-Spec with the established rules or do we run a run what you brung class. I don't think by allowing a cheaper engine we are going to put twenty one new boats on the pond. I'm not saying we would get all those guys all the time but I am saying we probably won't get any of them if we don't follow the rules established in district 4. That's it I said my piece. I'm done. Bill

I don't think anyone is asking for a run what you brung class here at all. A club could easily just promote and run a full P class. What is up for discussion is cost and future possibilies that may change. Proboat and AQ motors got approved at one point so do we now lock out any other potential motors? P-spec has been a class that has been run for a few years and FE racing has not been setting any attendance records. FE tunnels seem to be the exception and are the fastest growing of the spec classes offered. This potential growth will spill over to P & Q tunnels shortly. For the guys who set this all up do not take offense to the enthusiam of new FE racers, better yet embrace some new ideas and the backlash will be FE accepted in the norm of RC racing. Updating hulls will be a much larger cost for the future of tunnel racers. What started out resurecting old or inexpensive hulls will soon be a disadvantage far greater than motors. JMO.

Mic

P-spec has been a class that has been run for a few years and FE racing has not been setting any attendance records.

Mic
Mic,

With all due respect.

If you are speaking of your local area then please say so because that is certainly not the case in other areas of the country.

What continues to amaze me is that some of you guys think that this is all brand new and none of this has been looked at by the guys that have been racing FE for years.

There are good reasons why we (seasoned FE racers) have landed on what we have, and our FE numbers are growing.

If you think a Fred Sanford class of O/B Tunnels will change the face of FE in YOUR area then as it has been said, by all means go for it. But please understand if we don't replace our programs with it.

IMO With the path you are wanting to go down you should be promoting a local " HK/HP-P Class" with a max $$ limit since that's where the issue is.

Like you, if I have stepped on any toes here I apologise in advance, that is / was not my intention.

Good luck with it fellas!!

Doug

Back