Anyone still running Castor oil?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry

I just tore my 91 VAC's down for winter storage and they were both like new inside.

I'm not sure exactly how much fuel I ran through them this year but they have been run hard.

I'm running good old RedMax stock blend 18%, nothing special.

Are you sure your not trying to run them to hot?

Tim

Pretty sure Red Max has some castor, no? Did you get it from Mike H?

Thought of that, I know I have to be careful to adjust the flow as I start to lean the needle down.

Not convinced 100% yet but think the castor is helping. I guess the answer to my orignal question has been answered! :)

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's 18% syn , no castor.

Just got a note from Mike, he said most of the Red Max he sells has 19% of their synthetic oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
After having some issues with Ritch's Brew here in Houston, I changed to VP Racings blend of what used to be "Power Master" fuel. I'm running 50% and the San Antonio shop that blended mine said it was 18% lube, one half of that being Castor oil. Both engines look Beautiful. Just had a look after the Evansville race.

I agree 100% with Rod G. buy enough parts and you'll be back. I like that mungy brown hue of my pistons. I ran some pure synthetic a couple years ago. When the brown of the engine went away - the engine went completely South. It was fine once I went back to castor and built the Mung layer up again. Fill all those porous aluminum pin holes up with Castor Bean - they Love IT !!!

Besides - - - - - - - I love the smell of burning Castor oil !!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Its kinda like cleaning your old iron skillet.
Then you have to season it all over again . ;)

Ok,now I'm realy confused the questions is castor or no caster

What the heck do we do use it or not.

Help!!!

Truth is if the oil is right you just do not need castor.. its OK if you have it as you see allot of people using it but.

the viscosity of caster is not all that "adjustable" and one of the reasons most don't use much..

Big cheese pizza in.. big cheese pizza out.. know what I mean!

Grim

Was running again this morning and starting leaning on my CMB 67 and all's well, here's my thoughts:

All synthetic is fine as long as there's enough of it, commercial blends seem to have 18-23%. Once a motor is well run in the oil could probably be cut back to 10-12% or less. As a matter of fact I tried to blow up an old Picco 67 a while back running only 4% oil and couldn't do it, the piston was loose as a goose tho.

I've been running 12% of a quality synthetic for years and have had few problems, when I break in a new motor or piston/sleeve though I've been adding extra oil to the tank until things are loosened up.

Where I ran into trouble was running only 10% in the SAW boat (70% nitro) with a piston that wasn't completely run in yet. Once the piston's loosened up there's no problem.

I added 5% castor to the mix (10% synthetic - 5% castor) and was able to start leaning on it with no scuffing. Whether just 15% all synthetic would have allowed that I'm not sure... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry do you notice a difference in the tune as in pipe length to RPM when using the Castor?

Terry do you notice a difference in the tune as in pipe length to RPM when using the Castor?
Haven't noticed any difference yet but it's too early to tell.

The main thing is I didn't scuff a piston, again! :p

I did have to richen the needle a bit to make up for the higher drag of the fuel in the lines.

Terry.. what IS the reasion for the low oil content in your SAW setups?

I suspect its less oil means more nitro and mo-powa.

What you did not mention in our post above is oil viscosity. One would have a heck of a time running P2000 for instance at 23%.

;)

Nitro..so what.. whos a wada-ya-care.....

Meth.. so what.. beep beep, boop boop

OIL.. the KEY!

Grim

What you did not mention in our post above is oil viscosity. One would have a heck of a time running P2000 for instance at 23%.

;)

OIL.. the KEY!

Grim

Hey Grim Dude:

Yup, xactly, max cackle baby!

What's P2000? :mellow:

;)

OIL.. the KEY!

Grim
Grim,

Can you share what the viscosity of the oil is in Grimracer fuel?? .(centistokes)

If you can't I understand.

Aha.. sorry Duke.. that is indeed something I can not let go of.. What I can say however is its light vis..

I know that always seems like a copout or side stepping but we have a TON of testing into the fuel. We just can not go spitting numbers.

Rock and Roll!

Grim

Latest posts

Back