oil %'s

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparbarn

with all the threads here and elsewhere dealing with turning car fuel into boat fuel, i'm wondering about a "proper" oil percentage for boats. how do the cars get away with 10 or 12%? they run hotter, & i would imagine the shock loads are higher (on & off the throttle & landing from jumps), temps are generally higher, also - 240 degrees isn't uncommon. how much will recommended % vary by engine size? or roller bearing rods vs plain bearings? more or less nitro? i've heard don ferrette mention too much oil can cause bearings to 'skid/slide', not turn/roll....... what is everyone running? what type of engine? i'm mainly interested in .21's, k&b's in my case. but any info you can share will be appreciated by all, i'm sure B) . i'm getting ready to blend some fuel, want to run less oil, if i can. running 18% now, how low can i safely go? less oil means more methanol at a given nitro %, & even i know there's more power in alcohol than oil :rolleyes: . also, please specify if you run all synthetic, all castor, or a blend. if a blend how much of each. i can imagine oil type would affect what a "safe" % might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i run 60% with 1 percent castor and 14% oil

and 70 percent with 1 percent castor and 14% oil.

i mixed up a gallon of 60% with 12 percent oil and 1 percent castor and to be honest.. it made ZERO difference speed wise. the only thing i seen was that the motor sounded different. that was it.

chris

I am no expert....but for running around the pond, I run 18% 14+4... for running with other folks and racing, I run 15% 13+2.

Whether I am extending my engine life by running 18% when I am not racing...I dont know...but it makes me feel better about running 15% other times...LOL ;)

Sean

I mix

60%-60,20,20

66%-66,16.5,16.5

40%-40,40,20

Oil is the last digits. I run Klotz 80 synth/20 castor.

Mike

70% w/ 12% oil for the 21's and 60% w/ 15% oil all others, 100% synthetic oil in both blends. B)

I do the same as Don, 12% oil in the 21 (65% Nitro), and 15% in all others(50~57.5% Nitro). I use only synthetic, but I split it 2/3 UCON LB625, and 1/3 Morgan Blue. Works for me.

Been running 60% w/ 12% oil in the 21's and 45's and 40% w/ 12% in everything else.

-Buck-

i'd like to take an old motor and test in decreasing amounts of oil, to see where the bottom would be. something that always bothers me is the amount that 2 stroke outboards get by with compared with what we run. somethiing like 2.5 ounces to the gal. and we run up to 25. some one tell me why

Steve , I believe the answer might lie in Area of surfaces to be lubricated vs rotational time ( RPM )available that the lubricants have to be dispersed . My 2.5 280- HP Mercury motors will always get 32 : 1 Mix = 4 OZ Per gallon . If you get a mental pic of the insane speeds of model engines and port opening and closing , thrust loads on the rod , crank etc ....it's crazy . !!1

Steve , I believe the answer might lie in Area of surfaces to be lubricated vs rotational time ( RPM )available that the lubricants have to be dispersed . My 2.5 280- HP Mercury motors will always get 32 : 1 Mix = 4 OZ Per gallon . If you get a mental pic of the insane speeds of model engines and port opening and closing , thrust loads on the rod , crank etc ....it's crazy . !!1

AND I WOULD LOVE TO DRIVE THAT 2.5 280 HP MERCURY POWERED HULL .

got to agree, tom. our "little" engines put stupid crazy demands on oil that full size ob's can't imagine. but i think better water jackets/temp control help a bunch on the full size ones, also ;) . say hi to the suwanee river for me, man i miss that end of fl.

got to agree, tom. our "little" engines put stupid crazy demands on oil that full size ob's can't imagine. but i think better water jackets/temp control help a bunch on the full size ones, also ;) . say hi to the suwanee river for me, man i miss that end of fl.
I run 14% synthetic in everything 12,21 45. I mix my own fuel, I play with cars and airplanes and use 14% in these also. :)

Walt Barney

on my 90 boat i run 80% alcohol and 20% oil (80/20 syn/castor) oh, and 4 cap fulls of GONZO GRAPE.

on my 21 motors i run the 60% o'donell with 18% oil.

i also run EVERYTHING on the rich side and all my motors have lasted for many years. (bearings excluded of course.)

when i was Flying F3A in competition overseas i ran 40% nitro 6% oil and the rest alcohol.

carl

Thanks for posting this thread MOPARNBARN. I've been wondering about this since I read the thread on the MPH increases as nitro was increased and someone mentioned that lowering oil% was as significant to to adding MPH as increasing the nitro. <_< One more factor to equate.... :ph34r:

i just want to thank everyone for posting the info so far. nice definitive answers, & no pissing matches over what's best! very positive responses, & that's what i'd hoped for. keep it coming.

on my 90 boat i run 80% alcohol and 20% oil (80/20 syn/castor) oh, and 4 cap fulls of GONZO GRAPE.
And the residual haze of grape-smelling smoke once the heat is over is amazing and brings a whole new meaning to "when the smoke cleared"! :lol:

Latest posts

Back