Another Ebay Special or Legit? Tommy lee.... Rod G.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
Ok, I just saw this pop up on eBay, and while the story is a cool one, just curious about the legitimacy of it all. The price is hefty, regardless of the validity of the story, just curious. Maybe Tommy or Rod G can chime in here on this one. 

Here is the link to the ebay ad. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Tunnel-Boat-7-5-K-B-Outboard-LeeCraft-RACING-NITRO-Tunnel-Boat-XT-460-E-NEW/192764370483?hash=item2ce1a6de33:g:6TkAAOSwuQhcGwbl:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Here is the description:

Here it is Rod Geraghty's Personal #1 Leecraft Outboard Tunnel Boat NEW and
Completely finished by Rod Geraghty and ready to race with his #1 Modified 7.5 K&B engine
 all you need is your receiver and battery pack etc. Tommy Lee only made three of these boats,
 all the tricks have been done to the boat and engine.The boat has never been in the water.
 It has all the servos including a servo for third channel fuel mixture. The boat is very light.
 It measures approx. 15" wide X 35" long. What makes it light is that it is resin epoxy.
 No color was added, just Rod's decals. If your shipping distance is cheaper, I will credit your acct.

And a few pics. 

Leecraft 1.jpg

Leecraft 2.jpg

Leecraft 3.jpg

Leecraft 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics on eBay show remote needle behind fuel tank

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This boat is legit.... I believe it was in '96 or '97 when it went down the road to a RC boater in Eastern Wisconsin...I believe his name was Schultz....

To the best of my knowledge this boat has never seen the water....The guy that bought is was a collector....

The thing I most remember about the boat was it was epoxy glass and was  very light and strong.....

I did a 7.5 K&B  with a Geraghty carb and Irwin pipe and probably a X447 prop..... I did install the 3rd channel shown in the photos.....

It would not surprise me a bit if  the boat would love the new ABC props ....and..... in the right hands be very competitive....

I will still use a third channel but it has to be right at the carb..... 3rd channels mounted that far away from the carb always got me in trouble....lolol....

I was severely lacking in patience for the motor to respond  to a mixture change....lol

Grim is right .... that was intended to be a record boat.....hence no paint or un necessary weight...but .....that ship has sailed.......lolol

That is the rest of the story....

I have a little later Leecraft that looks exactly like the Ebay boat.  It was Randy Doucett's boat that came with the Leecraft business.  I set the 11cc NAMBA SAW record with it in 1999.

Lohring Miller

Rod is correct-this is an original Leecraft. Built probably in the late 80's. This boat came out of the first set of 460 molds that were built. I told Rod that more than 3-of these had been built but after thinking about it the 3-number is probably correct. A lot of boats were built from these molds but most of them were gel coated.

Tommy, never knew you pull any E glass boats from those molds. I know Randy was doing them in glass. Learned something new today. Merry Christmas yall. 

For what its worth I purchased a boat from this guy and he is great to deal with. The boat was packed like a egg and could have been dropped from a high rise. The boat its self was flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another boat from him.

Thanks,

Zach

Tommy, never knew you pull any E glass boats from those molds. I know Randy was doing them in glass. Learned something new today. Merry Christmas yall. 
Mike,

I told Gabe the same thing. I thought Lohring was the only one to build epoxy Leecraft 460's. I had no idea Tommy did as well until I read this thread. Happy New Year everyone.

Mike-it is strange but I could have sold epoxy boats to everyone on the west coast and the east coast guys wanted gel coated boats. I only had 2- molds and did not have a heat box to cure the epoxy boats so it just simply took too long to get one out the door. Actually I felt the epoxy boats were easier to lay-up but just took to long the way I was set-up. Also the first hull mold was modified for vacuum bagging and this made an almost indestructible boat and very light weight but there again, way to much time to build. I only made 3-vacuum bagged boats and have no idea if they survived.    

Tommy,

I got my first xt 460 from Randy. He was building them from e glass. I had never seen one until then. Good to know. I would of thought they were Randy boats.  Here is a little trick I use these days for cooking epoxy. I use a regular old space box heater. The kind with a fan on it. I put it on low. I then cover it and the part with a large sheet of paper. The ones my glass are wrapped in work perfect. I make it like a tapered tunnel. Traps the heat but lets it flow throw as well. Works great. 2-3 hrs under there and it pretty much cured to handle. I dont have the space for a large cooker either. So I make do. 

Mike 

Back